Which axle would you go with?

Eddie Greenlee

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
So if you had a Dana 30 with chromeMolly axles and running 35” tires with an aussi locker up front, what axle would you go to ??

Axle housing or axle shafts?

If it was mine I’d keep the Dana 30 and go with Revolution USA made axle shafts or RCV.

No reason to swap out the Dana 30 for anything else.

Well I was just wondering if I should upgrade axles .
I didn’t think a Dana 30 was strong enough for 35s & lockers.
yes sir, 4340 chromeMolly axles shafts.

I know most of y’all have a Dana 44 and I’m sure some even have a Dana 60. Those axles tend to be stronger than the 30 from what I’ve read.

I know most of y’all have a Dana 44 and I’m sure some even have a Dana 60. Those axles tend to be stronger than the 30 from what I’ve read.
The vast majority have your Dana 30. A few have Dana 44s. And significantly fewer have a Dana 60.

If needed, your inner shafts can be upgraded to 30 spline to match the Rubicon 44, making the 5.13 vs 5.38 maximum ring gear size the only difference.

You're overthinking this. Your Dana 30 with 4340 shafts is MORE than up to 35's and a locker on tougher trails than most Jeeps ever see.

Perfect timing. I just picked a Dana 30HP from a 98 XJ. Literally just finished degreasing. I am swapping axles, because it is within build budget. 4340 chromeMolly axles, 27 spline, for a 5.13 re-gear I read the 410 vs 513 thread for the TJ SE 2.5. Question: 538 in Dana 30F, 35R, possible and worth the price jump to go with 30 spline? How bad of a hit is my top speed going to take? Just a ballpark opinion, please. TIA

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
So stay 27 spine. Right? Reading Johnny Joints posts now. 4” lift 33s. Will open up a build post shortly. A dissenting opinion to Johnny Joints, is my current reading. Any recommended threads?

The vast majority have your Dana 30. A few have Dana 44s. And significantly fewer have a Dana 60.

If needed, your inner shafts can be upgraded to 30 spline to match the Rubicon 44, making the 5.13 vs 5.38 maximum ring gear size the only difference.
Right now with the 32RH and 4:88 gears with 35s I’m thinking of going back to 4:10 so I can have a little more top speed for the road. Other than that I’ll have to trailer it to the trails.