tnkayaker615

Supporting Member
So I'm going to be replacing my clutch in the next couple weeks and plan to address an oil leak (possible RMS?) while its apart. I was wondering if there is anything else I should look into or replace/repair while I'm at it? My goal is to steadily "restore and strengthen" each system with the end result being an "extremely reliable overland type rig." This is basically the beginning because it will be the most involved wrenching I've had to do on her. I'm more of a reader than someone who post so I hope this all makes sense? lol.

BTW I'm going with the Luk Clutch kit based on yalls recommendations so any other parts recommendations would be appreciated as well. I'm not gonna say $ isnt an issue but I don't mind paying more for a truly better quality part. Firm believer in you get what you pay for. Thanks

2005 TJ 2.4l 6-speed

Reactions: Squatch
When I did mine, exact same as yours, I replaced clutch, tob, pilot bearing, clutch fork, fork spring, pivot ball, rms, and oil pan gasket. I also needed to replace the inspection seal in front of trans under the input shaft. It had a crack and would leak when nose down. The only thing that wasn't really needed was the fork but it was cheap enough that I bought one just in case. Something else to replace if you haven't is the trans mount. Can't think of anything else at the moment.

During the process I disassembled the tcase linkage, cleaned, lubed, and adjusted it. Shifts smooth as can be now.

Oh, save the headache and rent or buy a trans jack. I bought the 100 dollar Harbor Freight and it worked as intended.

Change the oil in the trany and transfer case while you're under there if you haven't already.

For the sake of a seal I'd replace the gear box input shaft too.
Out put can be done with the box in the car, but input would require the box to come out again if it went in the future.