Who else has a 97 TJ?

Finally

Hello folks...is there any way here to follow of "friend' members who have the same year as i
do. Looking to compare and maybe share notes and suggestions. Thanks. Currently driving
a '97 TJ. Thanks

👋

I have a 97!

20200809_193219.jpg

While your 97 TJ came off the line slightly different than my 2006 TJ came off the line, they're not as different as the TJ is to a CJ or a JK.

All TJs matter!!!!

The only cool thing about the 97s is the 3 grill cowl. Otherwise, they are just as ordinary as the rest of them.

@Chris can change the title for you.

And as mentioned--the cowl, some gearing options, speaker setup, and minor interior details they are all the same

Reactions: Chris
Why would it matter if they had a 1997 or a 2003? They are pretty much all the same with the exception of very, very minor changes.

Seems like all you'd be doing is limiting yourself.

Reactions: jjvw and Tob
My Sahara is listed as a '98 but it was built in the 4th quarter of 97 and some parts are '98 and some are '97. It's hit or miss with some of them, and I have the slider controls for the HVAC, distributor, etc. Happy to help you out.

Some of the things about the 97 model are that the 01-03/96 built rigs have some wiring that is not the same as 04/06 and newer. @RangerRick is who clued onto this fact and of COURSE I have a 01/96 build date on mine. When I finally get to the wiring I'll see what is different.

My 97 is going thru it's second build. I built it up in 2006 and am redoing it all again. I bought mine in Sept of 02.

IMG_2747-1.jpg

My Sahara is listed as a '98 but it was built in the 4th quarter of 97 and some parts are '98 and some are '97. It's hit or miss with some of them, and I have the slider controls for the HVAC, distributor, etc. Happy to help you out.
I always thought 97 and 98 were the same. What changed from 97 to 98? I know there’s a difference between the early 97’s that were built in 96 like @Wildman posted above, but it thought later 97’s were the same as 98’s? I think 99 is when they at least changed the Sport decal from blue to the same color as the rest of the lettering

Last edited:
Aside from complaining about cracked exhaust manifolds and some randomly recycled parts from the YJ, the 97 club wouldn't have a lot to talk about.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I always thought 97 and 98 were the same. What changed from 97 to 98? I know there’s a difference between the early 97’s that were built in 96 like @Wildman posted above, but it thought later 97’s were the same as 98’s? I think 99 is when they at least changed the Sport decal from blue to the same color as the rest of the lettering
It's mostly small, annoying things, and a few other items. Some of the electrical connectors for important sensors are different between years, and sometimes I have a '97 connector (square corners) and sometimes it's a '98 (round corners). The distributor sensor comes immediately to mind, and there are others. I now have to verify visually what parts I am purchasing, or sometimes I buy both and return the one that doesn't fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman