Who is the resident frame rust repair expert?

JeepManGood

Supporting Member
So I picked up a 02’ with the bottom of the frame roached out. I removed all the body mount bolts and jacked up the body 2” and rested on 2x4’s at body mount locations all the way around. I started on the passenger side and torched off the rear lower control arm and welded the new one in, then torched off the mid section and welded the new cap on and finished with cutting off and welding on the new front control arm.
After that I had to weld in new half torque boxes on both sides. From there, with the body still raised, I install a 2.50” rough country lift with an adjustable front track bar and track bar relocation bracket on the rear. So far so good…… went to bolt the body back to the frame and it is not lining up 😢. Lines up fine both sides front to back, but side to side it is off by about 1/2” and I can’t get the bolts on. Also, the drivers side rear mount is sitting up off of the rubber mount by about an inch. I checked the clearance all the way around and the body is sitting or binding on anything. I have tried to push, pull and pry….. but can’t get them in. So the big question, do you think the lift kit has anything to do with it (particularly the track bars) and how the hell do I get it lined up? Same exact problem with the transmission skid. I can install the driver side or passenger side but not both. Any help would be appreciated. This is the frame job I have done and the only one that is giving me problem

Sounds like your frame shrunk? Is your skid bent? It’s common to have trouble bolting up a bent skid. As far as body mounts is it possible you got the torque boxes installed a bit off? I dunno, just throwing a couple possibilities out there.

Did you install the body mounts and bolts before you welded in the half torque boxes? That way everything is lined up before it becomes permanent.

Sounds like your frame shrunk? Is your skid bent? It’s common to have trouble bolting up a bent skid. As far as body mounts is it possible you got the torque boxes installed a bit off? I dunno, just throwing a couple possibilities out there.
That is for the reply. The skid is good, torque boxes were install in exact same location. The frame I have no idea because someone welded 4”x1/4 angle iron to the frame on both sides because of all the rot. I’m kind of at a loss on this one but I’m thinking I will use a bottle jack to push the frame apart and get the half inch I need….. unless someone else has more suggestions

I'd measure the frame to be sure it's square first. But it sounds like 1 side of the frame had a mis-cut and isn't lining everything up.

Oh, and pics are very helpful...