Who makes the best steering setup for the least amount of money?

Goatman

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Wanting to upgrade my 145,000 mile steering system. I ordered Moog tie rod ends and tie rod. That "upgrade" was total crap. Tie rod had very thin tube with weak threading. Bent the S.O.B. trying to install rod ends. Left hand thread was poor, right hand thread was crap. Bent the tube (34" of soda straw thickness) trying to "upgrade to ZJ parts. Not rich. Wanna fix this just once. Who Makes the best setup for the least $? Wanna upgrade to a solid bar. Descriptions all say "super upgrade! Stronger than a unicorn's horn!" Just want a good solid bar system. Drag link, tie rod, ends. I know Currie is great, but the check from the Lottery hasn't come yet. Running a small OME lift. Also, who makes the best adjustable track bar? I'm a good 3/4 to the right and slinging crap all over driver side of jeep. Thank you. I read the sticky thru and thru. Didn't see answer there. Descriptions fail to say solid or soda straw. The Moog rod ends seem ok, but same thread as on stock. Assume they make a better one. They were supposed to be ZJ parts too.

If you have 2” or more of bumpstop extensions you can run the Currie trackbar. and steering (or the Savvy clone)

I intend to get those at some point in time

If you are bending the tie rod that easily then I agree, spend the money and get the currie.

Metalcloak, JKS, or Currie would be the top 3 trackbars.

The moog ZJ tierod is a solid piece, not a tube.

Are you sure you ordered the correct parts?
es3096l
es2079s
ds1312

You can order 2 of the ends and adjusters to swap the one at the steering box too if needed.

Reactions: twistedlv
Wanting to upgrade my 145,000 mile steering system. I ordered Moog tie rod ends and tie rod. That "upgrade" was total crap. Tie rod had very thin tube with weak threading. Bent the S.O.B. trying to install rod ends. Left hand thread was poor, right hand thread was crap. Bent the tube (34" of soda straw thickness) trying to "upgrade to ZJ parts. ... They were supposed to be ZJ parts too.

Sounds like what you got was a factory style replacement. The ZJ tie rod looks nothing like stock TJ and is certainly not a hollow tube.

Get the right part this time. The ZJ tie rod is more than most will ever need. What I don't know is the best brand to buy. In my experience, the Crown version is poor quality.

Reactions: Irun
This is what a ZJ steering upgrade looks like. Accompanied by a JKS TB.
100_0629.JPG

Reactions: Mikester86
Witrzac, I went with Summit. Talked on the phone. Was told these #'s: ES3095R, ES3094L, AND DS1326S. So that is what I ordered. Perhaps I wasn't working it right: I know Currie is the best. This I know. Not wanting to spend $600. That I dont have. Looking for the least expensive non-Currie non-$600 solution for the best non-Currie steering system that is solid bar, not hollow soda straw thin tube parts that is non-$600. Are any of these Moog parts any good? When I was young that company was the gold standard. It seems now just cheap China crap. In the 6 page sticky that I read, that I was told to read, that I said I had read, it said clearly to stay away from Rugged Ridge and Savvy. So have those companies redesigned their products?

Witrzac, I went with Summit. Talked on the phone. Was told these #'s: ES3095R, ES3094L, AND DS1326S. So that is what I ordered. Perhaps I wasn't working it right: I know Currie is the best. This I know. Not wanting to spend $600. That I dont have. Looking for the least expensive non-Currie non-$600 solution for the best non-Currie steering system that is solid bar, not hollow soda straw thin tube parts that is non-$600. Are any of these Moog parts any good? When I was young that company was the gold standard. It seems now just cheap China crap. In the 6 page sticky that I read, that I was told to read, that I said I had read, it said clearly to stay away from Rugged Ridge and Savvy. So have those companies redesigned their products?
Post #5 is the correct parts for the ZJ conversion.

He either did not read the instructions or was missing parts. Mine doesn't do that. The kit comes with spacers that eliminate that issue. I have no complaints with mine.

The anti-roll spacers work until they don't. They are a bandaid fix for an inherent design flaw that the stock design doesn't suffer from nearly to the same degree.

I'll order the new Moog #'s tonight. Thanks guys. You guys have answers faster than a virgin on prom night.😁