Who's a proven mole killer?

We moved from TX to WA in 2019. Where we lived out in the country in TX we had those stupid bark scorpions 🦂. Hated those things. One year we decided to put in gutters, and on all four corners 200 gallon rain barrels. After the first rain you’re curious if the barrels are full, so I go out and check. On top there’s a mesh that the water from the downspout falls through. Those things were full of 15-20 scorpions each. I killed them all, of course. Every rain more scorpions 🦂 as their numbers gradually decreased. Freaky.
How did they get in there?

I reasoned that they either climbed in or were in the gutters and washed into the mesh. I never could figure out which was correct. Scorpions like to be around water.
Oh man! That's crazy.

I've lived in South Carolina for 33 years now and just learned last year that we have not only one, but two kinds of scorpions here. One of my wife's co workers texted her a picture of one she caught at her house and didn't know what it was.

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
Oh man! That's crazy.

I've lived in South Carolina for 33 years now and just learned last year that we have not only one, but two kinds of scorpions here. One of my wife's co workers texted her a picture of one she caught at her house and didn't know what it was.
Didn't know what it was! Oh boy, if you throw your pants on the floor and put them back on in the morning, you might find out what they are real quick. No fun.

I was glad to get rid of so many.

As an aside, I was born in Charleston, SC in 1974 in the Naval hospital. We moved when I was 11 months old. I've never gone back, but would love too. Guess I should steer clear of the scorpions if I visit! Thanks for the warning.

Didn't know what it was! Oh boy, if you throw your pants on the floor and put them back on in the morning, you might find out what they are real quick. No fun.

I was glad to get rid of so many.

As an aside, I was born in Charleston, SC in 1974 in the Naval hospital. We moved when I was 11 months old. I've never gone back, but would love too. Guess I should steer clear of the scorpions if I visit! Thanks for the warning.

I've seen them a lot on deployments to the middle east. I was always paranoid one was going to get in my boots, so I was always shaking them out to make sure one wasn't in there. After her co worker found that one, I started asking my friends and co workers if they knew they were in SC and no one did. I don't think many people here do.

I've seen them a lot on deployments to the middle east. I was always paranoid one was going to get in my boots, so I was always shaking them out to make sure one wasn't in there. After her co worker found that one, I started asking my friends and co workers if they knew they were in SC and no one did. I don't think many people here do.
GD it guys, make your own scorpion thread!

my parents have had phenomenal success with the Gopher Hawk snare. I don't how you're using it, but they'll see a mole pop up and immediately go out with a shovel, dig down to find the tunnel, then set the snare in it and lightly cover the hole. They almost always catch one within a few minutes that way, when setting it when they know the mole has been in the vicinity within minutes.

They fought with them for years and then had them gone within a few weeks of using it.
Do they set the trap in the hole direct beneath the dirt pile? I've been putting in path around the dirt pile not in it.

I haven't been smashing down the surrounding area sounds like I should give that a try.

These are definitely active areas the mounds are fresh but shockingly no kills yet.

Do they set the trap in the hole direct beneath the dirt pile? I've been putting in path around the dirt pile not in it.

I haven't been smashing down the surrounding area sounds like I should give that a try.

These are definitely active areas the mounds are fresh but shockingly no kills yet.
I put traps directly into the hole 3-5" past the opening. Then cover the hole with something. The theory is when the air is blocked and no light, the critters will go out of the hole to fix it and get snared. I also put peanut butter behind the trap. If I am not sure it's an active hole, I just cover the top with dirt and check back in a few hours to see if the critter re-opened the hole.

I put traps directly into the hole 3-5" past the opening. Then cover the hole with something. The theory is when the air is blocked and no light, the critters will go out of the hole to fix it and get snared. I also put peanut butter behind the trap. If I am not sure it's an active hole, I just cover the top with dirt and check back in a few hours to see if the critter re-opened the hole.
cool i like it, I just ordered a 6-pack of traps. They will die.... oh yes they will die.

I do like the propane or equivalent + boom method too but i got a bunch of buried plastic sprinkler line in my yard and i don't really want to jack that up. I fear an explosive fireball may not play nice with the plastic line.

Last edited:

I think they do this:

I think they do this:
It's not clear to me what your contribution was in the above... I mean I can see you added "I think they do this:" but doesn't seem necessary given i had already surmised as much when explorer previously replied to my question with his answer.

cool i like it, I just ordered a 6-pack of traps. They will die.... oh yes they will die.

I do like the propane or equivalent + boom method too but i got a bunch of buried plastic sprinkler line in my yard and i don't really want to jack that up, which i fear an explosive fireball may not play nice with the plastic line.
I like the Boom-Boom method but I never thought about the maze of sprinkler lines in my yard, will have to reconsider.

I like the Boom-Boom method but I never thought about the maze of sprinkler lines in my yard, will have to reconsider.
A lot of the trails actually parallel my sprinkler lines, i've found.

It's not clear to me what your contribution was in the above... I mean I can see you added "I think they do this:" but doesn't seem necessary given i had already surmised as much when explorer previously replied to my question with his answer.

your question was a reply to me, I didn't want to leave you hanging without an answer or without knowing that my answer was the same as what was posted by another user.