Why are TJs so much money?

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Name another vehicle that is more iconic and "American" than a Jeep Wrangler.

Sure, there's the Mustang, the Camaro, and the Corvette... but I think the Jeep Wrangler is the quintessential American icon in terms of cars.

The newer ones aren't bad, but they are starting to look more-and-more like most of the other modern vehicles out there (especially the 4-doors).

Car and Driver frequently reports that the Jeep Wrangler is consistently ranked in the top 5 for cars with the highest resale value. It never falls from the top 5 either, it's like that every single year.

then you should really like my TJ with the tiny LED lights mounted in the Metalcloaks
View attachment 34771

My Jeep has those from the PO but they are somewhat wired up wrong. They do blink when the blinker is activated, but I have to pull the headlight switch one click to get the ‘parking lights’ on which turns on the metslcloaks so that they light up....then from that point they will work as a blinker. I haven’t really dug into the wiring of them yet to figure it out, but I need too because I don’t like leaving the parking lights on. It’s too easy to hop out of the Jeep during the day and forget they were on....they stay on with the Jeep off and will kill the battery. Honestly, while I love how they look...I wish I had blinkers someone could actually notice hahaha

Are your wired that way? I’m thinking maybe they were wired into parking/fog lights instead of the blinkers. Not real sure.

I don’t want to hijack the thread but I’d appreciate it if you’d shoot me a PM and let me know if yours are this way or not and maybe a little basic info on how yours are wired up.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm a new member and first time poster and holy smokes am I learning how expensive these TJ's are!

After owning a Challenger for several years it was time for something new and I want the ability to take the top off and cruise around with the family. Well what better vehicle than a TJ Jeep but dang it's tough to find one that's not priced crazy high and doesn't have a ton of miles.

Reactions: Chris
I'm a new member and first time poster and holy smokes am I learning how expensive these TJ's are!

After owning a Challenger for several years it was time for something new and I want the ability to take the top off and cruise around with the family. Well what better vehicle than a TJ Jeep but dang it's tough to find one that's not priced crazy high and doesn't have a ton of miles.

If you think a TJ is expensive, the JKs and JLs are nearly twice as expensive, as are the parts for them! No joke.

Reactions: Kvarilek
If you think a TJ is expensive, the JKs and JLs are nearly twice as expensive, as are the parts for them! No joke.

I've noticed that too, it's nuts! There's no way I can even consider one of those, especially since it's going to be our "fun" car. I'm sure something will come up but it looks like it might take some time. The sucky thing is I missed out on a couple nice ones while I was trying to sell my car but that shows good ones do come up.

Reactions: cjaama
I've noticed that too, it's nuts! There's no way I can even consider one of those, especially since it's going to be our "fun" car. I'm sure something will come up but it looks like it might take some time. The sucky thing is I missed out on a couple nice ones while I was trying to sell my car but that shows good ones do come up.

Good ones pop up frequently, but the low mileage rust free Rubicons tend to go for upwards of 20k. If it was a JK that would be more like 35k, and a JL more like 45k or more.

The nice thing is they hold their value better than just about any other vehicle. You never really have to worry about them depreciating in value.

Reactions: Kvarilek
Look on craigslist and count the number of Jk and Jku for sale vs the Tj and Yj. Tjs and Yjs can be fixed the Jk just gets trashed and its more expensive to fix/rebuild. When you blow the v6 motor its time to trash it. They were not built in true jeep fashion.

The old jeeps were built so that any city boy could drive and any farm boy could fix. (Stolen line from movie about tanks) even the straight 6 was pretty much a tractor engine. The new jeeps are to much electronic and not enough mechanical. After they start wearing out the cost to maintain goes through the roof.
Just an example for 3k you can easily do a complete frame swap on a TJ. (Yourself not a shop) i would not even want to try a JK frame swap. 10x the amount of wiring.

***** this if my opinion not based and any trye research.

Jeep values in general are an absolute phenomenon , and I've had the " for 10 more grand I could have a ...." thought a few times.

Here is why TJs cost so much - when something is good, it's good..... and they are also out of production . All good things cost, and the TJ blends iconic style , coil spring suspension and fuel injection with a nice ride and good on and off road capability..... now with limited availability. The 4.0 has legendary durability, and it's the last of an era of vehicles you can actually wrench on. It is the best built Jeep they ever produced to that point by leaps ands bounds, and it took Jeep reaching far out with the 4 door, more , passenger friendly jku to reach more potential buyers and further define its' market. In effect, it took a different concept.

Most vehicles become obsolete long before they become collectible, lost in the rapid pace of the next new thing....technology scares Jeep owners who plan to be 50 miles from the last cell towers' reach and are quick to hold on to the tried and true.

The TJ holds a unique place as its questionable if the jk is better, more capable, as durable , or will have the resale the TJ has held, further entrenching the TJ as a sure fire purchase for fun, dependability and resale. It's rare when a vehicle is so good that technology can't knock it off it's pedestal.

To add to this , it's now becoming known you can't go wrong with a nice TJ or LJ, and that alone drives values up.

In other words , the truth always comes out: these things are cool.

I wish I had blinkers someone could actually notice hahaha

Are your wired that way? I’m thinking maybe they were wired into parking/fog lights instead of the blinkers. Not real sure.
Couldn't help, maybe your rig is wired just like how most of us TJ owners brains are wired up. Foggy heads on dim lights with the wrong switch he-he.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xposure
This is the first year I've had my 02 and I chose it because the big tire/lifted 4x4 convertible market is a hotbed of inflated prices. The practical choices being the Iconic Bronco. The OG k5 Blazer. The FJ40(3,6). The D90. The modified first gen 4Runner. All are now in the 20-70,000 dollar range. The K5 is literally a rust bucket and it's gaining value like Cali real estate.

All that being said I likely overpaid for my Texas TJ but it's all good because there's something about having a no frills 33 inch tire 4x4 with no roof that just makes my adult male heart ache. Maybe because it's a toy I bought for myself for no obvious reason than it's fun and I get to spend the short NE summer actually seeing the sun. I dunno. I hope they keep getting more expensive though.

Look on craigslist and count the number of Jk and Jku for sale vs the Tj and Yj. Tjs and Yjs can be fixed the Jk just gets trashed and its more expensive to fix/rebuild. When you blow the v6 motor its time to trash it. They were not built in true jeep fashion.

The old jeeps were built so that any city boy could drive and any farm boy could fix. (Stolen line from movie about tanks) even the straight 6 was pretty much a tractor engine. The new jeeps are to much electronic and not enough mechanical. After they start wearing out the cost to maintain goes through the roof.
Just an example for 3k you can easily do a complete frame swap on a TJ. (Yourself not a shop) i would not even want to try a JK frame swap. 10x the amount of wiring.

***** this if my opinion not based and any trye research.

That's actually one of the big reasons I want to get in to a TJ. My kids are young (4 & 7) and I want to teach them how to work on a vehicle. These are a dang good platform to do that on.

Reactions: Chris