Why do people line their tubs?

DropTopDon

TJ Enthusiast
Just a general question, what is the appeal to rhino/raptor lining the tub of our TJ's? Does it offer any actual benefit or is it something people do cosmetically just for their own personal satisfaction.

It easily hides dings and doesn’t scratch easily. Most times it’s not done well, and leaves moisture or areas where moisture can get in where it dissolves the metal quickly.

• Wow
Reactions: Fonz54
I did my tub because bed liner is considerably stronger when done right.

I did my grille because it had a quarter sized dent that I mostly flattened out with some wood and C clamps but didn't feel like paying a body shop to finish.

I also did my front bumper, that plastic thing that says JEEP, fender flares, and the Rubicon rocker guards.

Grille, and some others, before:
2018grille.jpg

Grille, and the others, after:
2018grille2.jpg

Yes, the dented area can be seen in that second picture but you have to know it was there to begin. That's a picture of the most I've ever been able to see it.

Here's a more normal picture:
IMG_2020grille.jpg

I lined the inside of my tub. I’m not a fan of the carpet, traps moisture which leads to rust. So first thing I do when I get a jeep is pull the carpet. My top is off all summer, so if I get caught in rain I’m getting wet, along with that carpet. Now I’m stuck with the paint, which will take a beating from just regular wear, or dragging tools and such around.

I also think it helps seal up some of the overlapping metal seems, which again will start rusting if water/moisture gets in there. Also under the rollbar mounting points are common for rust to form. So I pull everything to line it, all those areas get sealed up with liner, which I believe helps with rust forming. Makes for easy clean up to, I’m not a fan of mud, but in my area it’s hard to avoid. So when it’s time to clean, I just pull the drain plugs and hose it out.

Reactions: Wildman
It’s a great option for folks that don’t want to run carpet on longer off-road trips like the rubicon. The last thing you want on your carpet is broken greasy parts and tools. It also helps keep things from sliding around and making noise.

Reactions: Wildman
Carpet is the last thing that should be in a Jeep or truck. However, I'm told that if I pull it, I'll have a heat problem - in Florida, that's not acceptable. Still looking for the right kind of rubber matting as I'm given to understand that Rhino line et al won't stop the heat. Otherwise I'd do it.

Maybe it's more or a northwest thing? Very common around here.

You know though - the two are not mutually exclusive. Por que los dos? Sand and grit under my carpet have taken much of my paint down to primer. I wouldn't mind a tougher layer to cover that up under the carpet.

My YJ didn't have carpet, was scratched to hell, and had a lot of body seams where water would trap. DIY Bedliner solved that problem.

I do have moisture issues where I live too. Anything with a canvas top in PNW will have condensation issues unless garaged. Enough to drip down and under the carpet. And windstorms that push water in. I take out my carpet for most of the winter / spring because of this.

I'll probably line the TJ like I did the YJ, but at least with the TJ I have carpet also.

Also, and HUGE also...the quality of the product makes a difference. DIY MonstaLiner is good. It's tough, and has a smooth texture that wipes down and cleans easy, not a gritty one like raptor liner or line-x ($$) that seems to just trap dirt and look bad.

What other options solve the problems for $100?

If you walk around on a rainy day and get in the Jeep, your carpet is wet. Snow is even worse.

I'll probably pull mine out and line it, but for now I have some decent floor mats with high sides that hold any water I track in.

Makes no sense to me. You guys must live in areas with constant moisture. Whenever I shop for a new TJ I immediately remove any rig with lined interiors because it looks terrible.
There are already areas that are lined (seam sealed) from the factory. I don't see how it would look any different; as long as you get it color matched.

liner.jpg

Carpet is the last thing that should be in a Jeep or truck. However, I'm told that if I pull it, I'll have a heat problem - in Florida, that's not acceptable. Still looking for the right kind of rubber matting as I'm given to understand that Rhino line et al won't stop the heat. Otherwise I'd do it.
Lizard Skin is supposed to help with heat.

https://lizardskin.com/

Reactions: Zorba
Just a general question, what is the appeal to rhino/raptor lining the tub of our TJ's? Does it offer any actual benefit or is it something people do cosmetically just for their own personal satisfaction.
I think most do it to keep the water off the metal, whether it's from rain or washing it out. I assume it also helps with noise and heat if running without carpet.

I'm told that if I pull it, I'll have a heat problem
I think you're looking for a material called Zute thermal insulation. You could probably super 99 it under your stock carpet. To make cleaning easier. I thought about doing that same thing. And still may. My manual trans sometimes throws more heat through the tub than I like. Esp when I'm towing I've noticed.

As far as bed-lining goes. I recently finished Raptor lining mine. Mine already had a start to surface rust in alot of areas. I wanted to address it before it got out of control. Happy to report it worked great. It is much tougher than stock paint imo. It is extremely important to do it right. Not doing proper prep or painting raptor over improper substrates can lead to it peeling quickly. I like the method of prepping the tub for POR 15. Then apply 2 coats of it to the inside of your tub and topcoat with the raptor. I have had wonderful results using that method. Also rustoleom satin black fast drying spray paint matches the raptor black so closely you cant tell the difference. Quick cheap trick. Buy a tube of automotive seam sealer, about 9 bucks. use it to seal any open spots in pinch welds or fill any other small factory openings into your tub. Her is when I did mine a couple months ago

6fe4699a-80d1-4634-8f7b-daa34f4179bc.jpg
816f7ef5-17a3-4cfe-b918-57511f3c627a.jpg
06f17d88-1987-4201-b10b-73c192427613.jpg

download (3).png

I think you're looking for a material called Zute thermal insulation. You could probably super 99 it under your stock carpet...
That's the point. I don't want carpet - stock or otherwise. Really been considering bedtred - maybe with Lizard skin CI sprayed on first. *shrug*

My 05 is the first I've had with bedliner that I feel it gets hot without the carpet. I love how easy it is to clean.
I'd really suggest getting a product that isn't rough. 20 years ago I used Herculiner in my Yj and it was like sandpaper on your knees.

I'm now a big fan on monstaliner but like any coating its 90% prep work. I Por15 (silver) any surface rust, scuff it up, degrease like nuts, tap off as much as I can then apply.

I'm really considering using Monstaliner in a few outside parts to see how it holds up.

Reactions: 707kevin