Why do you own a Wrangler?

My interest in Jeeps goes back to when I was 15. I had always liked them but then my oldest brother bought a '78 CJ7. He even went on to really make it rumble with a 360 V8. I was hooked. I didn't get my own Jeep, a '99 TJ Sport, until I was 27. I drove that Jeep for 10 years. It got modified with a rear locker, 2" budget boost, Milemarker hydraulic winch and a CB. That was enough to make it perfect for my uses. After my daughter was born the Jeep was replaced with a Bronco that I really enjoyed for four years. But now for almost a year I'm back driving a TJ it is a very nice one.

I like Jeeps for a lot of reasons, nostalgia and cool factor for sure. I love the simple, rugged and utilitarian design. There isn't much to go wrong with on them compared to a lot of vehicles. They're hard to break and easy to work on. I also love the 4.0 motor. My first TJ was unbelievably reliable in every sense of it. I actually like and trust the simplicity of the TJ far better than more modern vehicles.

For the offroading conditions where I live nothing beats a Jeep and as a hunter and fisherman that matters. I can maneuver a Jeep in to locations where other vehicles simply can't follow. It's also a vehicle that my family just has a lot of fun with. When I got my first Jeep I had some thoughts of buying a motorcycle but I was a single guy who took his dog everywhere. The Jeep ended up being a more fun summer vehicle for me and old Leroy. Now, 13 years later it is a fun vehicle for another dog, the lady I met shortly after buying the Jeep (and later married) and our little girl.

Reactions: Kyle_W and glwood
Because they helped change the face of WW2, Vietnam, Korea, etc. Because my first Jeep was an 87 grand wagoneer. Because I have a pair of twin TJs in my driveway. Because I have Jeep life and the Jeep grill tattooed on my arm. Because what's another four letter word for love.......Jeep !!!! Mic drop...

Over the years i've owned a Dodge Dakota, a 99 z71, and now the TJ. Being 5' 6", being able to see out of the windhsield has always been a concern. The Dodge was fine, but the Chevy i bought after it was always a little bit of a struggle. I decided after i got rid of the Dodge that i would never have another 2wd. Down here in Cut n Shoot, its a necesity to own a 4wd for many reasons. So after i got the z71 i drove it around for a little bit but hated how big it was. My buddy had a 99 tj sport and i was hooked aftet a couple of rides. The general applications the TJ with the 4.0l is pretty much the best of both worlds for someone like me. My jeep now has the capability to go have fun in tight compact trails, but allows me to pull a jon boat or kayaks. Also fun for the adventueing side of things going places my z71 never could. The Customization factor is another great reason. It seems whatever you like to do, you can optimize your jeep for that use. And that's always been a major factor. The simplicity of the mechanical aspects the jeep offers makes working on it easier than most. (No eletrical problems that i ran into with my z71.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kyle_W
Admittedly I've always dreamed of having a wrangler. Then I saw Jurassic park and those awesome wranglers made me even more determined to own one eventually. Flash forward to 2016; I've got a zr2 s10 that I later traded to my dad and a 2000 blazer. Blazer decides to up and need new heads, plugs, wires, starter and still won't run right for some reason. Then I see a 98 tj sitting on a car lot owned by a friend of mine. Timing couldn't be better! Though I'm finding it's hard to resist buying every little tj part I see now!

Reactions: Chris
Let me start by saying that I was always told that Jeeps are unsafe and kill people all the time. So after owning several types off vehicles I saw a 93 blue Jeep YJ. I bought it and fell in love with the ride. The versatility and most of all the feeling of riding with no doors and no top. Then it quit running and not knowing anything about vehicles or about the forums I traded it. I later felt stupid to find out that there was a fuse on the steering column that was bad. Forward 16 years later I wanted another Jeep. I absolutely missed it. I wanted a newer body style so I bought my 04 tj. I have learned a lot about jeeps in the past year and found that I can add things to it forever. I will never trade or get rid of it. Open air. Handling and just the funnest ride ever. I love my Jeep tj.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Let me start by saying that I was always told that Jeeps are unsafe and kill people all the time. So after owning several types off vehicles I saw a 93 blue Jeep YJ. I bought it and fell in love with the ride. The versatility and most of all the feeling of riding with no doors and no top. Then it quit running and not knowing anything about vehicles or about the forums I traded it. I later felt stupid to find out that there was a fuse on the steering column that was bad. Forward 16 years later I wanted another Jeep. I absolutely missed it. I wanted a newer body style so I bought my 04 tj. I have learned a lot about jeeps in the past year and found that I can add things to it forever. I will never trade or get rid of it. Open air. Handling and just the funnest ride ever. I love my Jeep tj.

These are the two things that EVERYONE told me when I wanted to get a Jeep:

1. Don't those break down all the time?
2. Those are really unsafe [you shouldn't get one]

Yeah, i always got these:
"Youre going to have to work on that alot".
"Those flip SUPER easy"

Reactions: JBell
Yeah, i always got these:
"Youre going to have to work on that alot".
"Those flip SUPER easy"

I hardly ever hear about a TJ having mechanical issues...... mine has yet to have a problem.

A truck can flip really easily too, but regardless they apparently are the rave.......

Yea it's stupid.

I hardly ever hear about a TJ having mechanical issues...... mine has yet to have a problem.

A truck can flip really easily too, but regardless they apparently are the rave.......

Yea it's stupid.
I will say that the positives ive heard outweigh the negatives. Before i bought it, people always told me these:

"The 4.0l is bulletproof"
"They can get through anything"
"If you ever break down, no matter where you are, the longest itll take is 15 minutes before another jeep pulls over to help you"
And so on....

Reactions: Kyle_W and JBell
I will say that the positives ive heard outweigh the negatives. Before i bought it, people always told me these:

"If you ever break down, no matter where you are, the longest itll take is 15 minutes before another jeep pulls over to help you"
And so on....

Anytime I tell someone I have a TJ, the first thing they ask me is "Do you have the four liter?" Without fail.

And I have yet to see a broken down Jeep on the side of the road! However tonight I pulled over to see if a JK needed my help but he was just parked to look at his maps or something. I got really excited because I thought i'd get to pull another Jeep out of the mud for the first time...

Reactions: JBell

And so on....

I do agree with 2 of those but I was on the side of the road for a hour and a half with a tire issue at night. Lots of jeeps passed but none stopped.

Anytime I tell someone I have a TJ, the first thing they ask me is "Do you have the four liter?" Without fail.

And I have yet to see a broken down Jeep on the side of the road! However tonight I pulled over to see if a JK needed my help but he was just parked to look at his maps or something. I got really excited because I thought i'd get to pull another Jeep out of the mud for the first time...
I have the 4cyl but it does good. Not fast on the road but a beast on the trail.

Reactions: Babygools99
I have the 4cyl but it does good. Not fast on the road but a beast on the trail.

Well those better MPG's certainly are valuable. Gas is money, and money is less tools to buy or things for your Jeep. Or food or mortgage.:eek:

But gosh damn, if I saw you I would have stopped immediately. I would stop for anyone who was stuck on the side of the road.

I do agree with 2 of those but I was on the side of the road for a hour and a half with a tire issue at night. Lots of jeeps passed but none stopped.

Hm, must of not been a good day. I was replacing my fuel pump gasket and a jeeo stopped seeing what was wrong in 10 mins, 2 others stopped as well.

Reactions: JBell and Kyle_W
DSC_0014_2.jpg
Why ? so 200K miles on my '05. It tows 2000# almost daily. I rarely get passed in the mountains. And only on the uphill grades when 4000rpm in 4th gear is all I've got. Honestly? I've never owned a better vehicle. For comfort or mechanical reliabilty. Absolutely the best. Hauls me, the wife, the dog.... and carries my tools inna trailer plus ladders on the roof. I consider a JK sometimes but the TJ rules.

Why ? so 200K miles on my '05. It tows 2000# almost daily. I rarely get passed in the mountains. And only on the uphill grades when 4000rpm in 4th gear is all I've got. Honestly? I've never owned a better vehicle. For comfort or mechanical reliabilty. Absolutely the best. Hauls me, the wife, the dog.... and carries my tools inna trailer plus ladders on the roof. I consider a JK sometimes but the TJ rules.

I was curious as to the towing capabilities of the TJ. My Grandpa's Liberty is rated at 3500lbs but the TJ is rated at 2500lbs. Which makes no sense because they have the EXACT SAME characteristics.

Well those better MPG's certainly are valuable. Gas is money, and money is less tools to buy or things for your Jeep. Or food or mortgage.:eek:

But gosh damn, if I saw you I would have stopped immediately. I would stop for anyone who was stuck on the side of the road.
Thanks. Me too. I try to help others.

Hm, must of not been a good day. I was replacing my fuel pump gasket and a jeeo stopped seeing what was wrong in 10 mins, 2 others stopped as well.

I am in Florida. People aren't always as humble as they used to be.

Reactions: Babygools99
TJSE is rated at 1000# with the 4 cylinder.
TJ Sport etc with the 6 cylinder is rated at 2000#.
LJ, the "long wheelbase" is rated at 3500# towing.

Check your state for local restrictions. In Alaska you can tow up to 5000# without trailer brakes. in California you need trailer brakes at 1500#.

Reactions: Kyle_W