Why is a rear locker more commonly used than a front locker?

On mine, I try not to rely on the LSD by avoiding wheel spin. When off road (actual trails, not dirt or gravel roads) both ends are locked. With independent switches now, I will occasionally open the rear if I need to make a tight turn. The front stays locked all the time.

I feel mine pushes the front end more with both locked than with only the rear locked. Turning has always been adequate with only rear locked, but not ideal.

I feel mine pushes the front end more with both locked than with only the rear locked. Turning has always been adequate with only rear locked, but not ideal.

You can test these claims with the stock switch by pulling the hose off of the rear pump. I found the difference to be quite evident.

Reactions: MallCrawlOnTons
Quick question for those who see the behavior of front and rear lockers often. Why is a rear locker “more commonly” used over the front locker (many say “oh I never turn it on) given that the rear locker pushes you in sometimes unwanted ways and the front locker doesn’t actually affect steering? Any insight is appreciated. I both front and rear and I’m wondering why not run the front more often than the rear?
The short answer is because it is the rear axle that is usually carrying the load, as in climbing up, over an obstacle. Most of the weight is on the rear and that is where you need traction to push you up and over. In the same scenario the front can pull you over, but it doesn’t get as much traction due to less load up front. If I had to choose one or the other, I would choose rear.

The short answer is because it is the rear axle that is usually carrying the load, as in climbing up, over an obstacle. Most of the weight is on the rear and that is where you need traction to push you up and over. In the same scenario the front can pull you over, but it doesn’t get as much traction due to less load up front. If I had to choose one or the other, I would choose rear.
If I had to choose front or rear; with most of the weight on the rear (giving more traction) you would not need a locker because there wouldn't be any slip. Less weight in the front would cause one tire to spin easily so a locker would keep the front pulling.

You can test these claims with the stock switch by pulling the hose off of the rear pump. I found the difference to be quite evident.
This all gets a whole bunch easier to understand with a twin stick t-case and pulling the front around with the rear disengaged. If you try it with the rear locked, it is a whole bunch harder to pull the front around than it is with it open because you aren't trying to skid the rear tires.

This all gets a whole bunch easier to understand with a twin stick t-case and pulling the front around with the rear disengaged. If you try it with the rear locked, it is a whole bunch harder to pull the front around than it is with it open because you aren't trying to skid the rear tires.
My preferred method. Once the case is twin sticked, it opens up that front engagement setup which allows the tight turns to become a breeze to maneuver through.

Those of you who believe that a locked front only will not allow steering action to occur need to explain what is stopping the turned wheels from pulling the vehicle in the same direction that they are turned.
Not sure if it affects turning radius, but wouldn't the outside (locked wheel) be acting like a brake, since it's not turning as fast as the inside tire?

I have to wonder how the rear end of all those Jeeps have the most weight on them. Did that huge cast iron engine get loose and slide back? Admittedly there is weight transfer when going up a steep hill, but how about when you are going on a flat, or even moderate incline, let alone downhill where you need control over those big rocks you climbed earlier that day? There are guys older than me who had to walk to school 8 miles uphill both directions in a blizzard, but other than that I've found that if I went up the hill in one direction then I usually went downhill going the other way.🤔

Reactions: Thunderhead
If I had to choose front or rear; with most of the weight on the rear (giving more traction) you would not need a locker because there wouldn't be any slip. Less weight in the front would cause one tire to spin easily so a locker would keep the front pulling.
That has not been my experience in TX hill country, WA sand or ID loose rocks. Both lockers are preferred in all situations, but if one rear tire loses traction and you are open, you are getting nothing in the rear and if the front is unloaded due to a vertical position, or you are slightly on your skid, you probably aren’t going anywhere. Try to back up and make another attempt. Or just have a rear locker and likelihood of traction goes up 50%

Not sure if it affects turning radius, but wouldn't the outside (locked wheel) be acting like a brake, since it's not turning as fast as the inside tire?
On the front, your locked wheels are pointed the direction you want to go. Not so on the back.

but other than that I've found that if I went up the hill in one direction then I usually went downhill going the other way.🤔
Are you implying that if you need lockers to get uphill, you will need them to go back down? Gravity becomes your friend.

Your post actually helps the most with this problem and that is the failure to understand the difference between perceived steering effort and the actual input to the vehicle to traverse trails. Just because it feels harder to steer doesn't mean it is steering the vehicle less.
Thanks for clearing that up for me @MrBlane .. but, in my world, while turning the steering wheel, "feels harder to steer" = affects steering...

Last edited:

Perhaps. Even if it makes a difference, a locked rear is going to fight that same turn far more because those wheels can only push the Jeep forward in a straight line.

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that up for me @MrBlane .. but, in my world, while turning the steering wheel, "feels harder to steer" = affects steering...

You're conflating what you feel in the driver's seat with what is actually happening on the ground. The two aren't always the same.