Why is there oil and dirt in my intake tube?

Mikey Mike

While cleaning up under the hood, I took off the air intake tube and noticed it has a build up of oily dirt. Why would I be getting this from the crankcase vent?

All you can do is clean the tube, the box, the throttle body, MAP sensor, et al and get a new filter.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
While cleaning up under the hood, I took off the air intake tube and noticed it has a build up of oily dirt. Why would I be getting this from the crankcase vent?

Your rear CCV elbow with a small orifice may be clogged. It is connected to the intake manifold vacuum and pulls the vapors into the intake. If clogged, the vapors can be forced out the front CCV elbow into the fresh air intake.

Your rear CCV elbow with a small orifice may be clogged. It is connected to the intake manifold vacuum and pulls the vapors into the intake. If clogged, the vapors can be forced out the front CCV elbow into the fresh air intake.

I think the same can happen if somebody goes for a drive without putting the oil cap back on.

Normally, the air stream should run from airbox through front pcv, through the valve cover to flush out the vapors, then out the rear pcv elbow, into the manifold to get burned away ok combustion.

Start the engine with no oil cap and air gets sucked in through the oil cap, backward out the front elbow and into the airbox, carrying oily vapors with it.

I don't think it really matters what it looks like now. Your Jeep ain't new. Clean it out and mark your calendar to check it in six months or a year. If it is mucked up at that point you might look into it in more detail.

Reactions: AndyG
I don't think it really matters what it looks like now. Your Jeep ain't new. Clean it out and mark your calendar to check it in six months or a year. If it is mucked up at that point you might look into it in more detail.

Good post- job one with a new to you rig is find out what you have.

Don’t think it is falling apart and don’t assume everything is rock solid either- be aware, cognitive.

Everyone I deal with schools me, makes me challenge assumptions, tricks me or stumps me. Wait, what are we talking about? Oh jeeps, not women.

Hopefully he dont reportback saying I just bought it. It has a new looking stock air filter and after a week of driving it, its burning oil like a freighter.

I'm thinking more along the lines of what another owner may have done to cause the issue.

Good post- job one with a new to you rig is find out what you have.

Don’t think it is falling apart and don’t assume everything is rock solid either- be aware, cognitive.

Everyone I deal with schools me, makes me challenge assumptions, tricks me or stumps me. Wait, what are we talking about? Oh jeeps, not women.

Jeep, women…. What’s the difference… both empty your wallet and get their way!

Reactions: AndyG