Why Jeep people crack me up

Westtown Willy

TJ dummy
Supporting Member
It’s been a great holiday weekend so far, Friday night Kimberly came over & we just hung out in the hut with some drinks & food in anticipation of our early rise Saturday morning to head to the mountains in the TJ for a day off road. Had an absolute blast all day Saturday, still topless, doorless & windowless since spring & the weather was picture perfect, high 70s & non-stop sun made for a great day off road with one of my best running mates. Last night was more drinks & grub upon our return home & there was no end to the fun today – we headed a few miles out of town to close by Phoenixville Pennsylvania for a nice long walk on the Schuylkill River Trail followed by a mid-afternoon lunch & drinks at the Rec Room by Conshohocken Brewing Company, fantastic beer if you haven’t been.

IMG_1583.JPG

Anyway we get seated in this spot & parked right next to us is this sweet little green 98 TJ, 31 inch tires & a stubby stinger.

IMG_1579.JPG

I sat there for a good 30 minutes sipping my beer & admiring it when three guys jumped in. About 10 seconds later the driver gets out & walks around to the passenger side holding a long screw driver, gets down on the street & under the Jeep when all of a sudden it cranks over. He jumps up & gets back in but of course I couldn’t resist talking to him, asked him what that was all about & he explained & just installed a new starter but needed to (can’t exactly remember what) before it would start

IMG_1582.JPG
IMG_1581.JPG

I just couldn’t help but smile watching this whole thing. I spend so much time under my TJ & so much more time seeing everyone else under theirs when off road that when I saw the dude crawl underneath it all seemed so normal, until it occurred to me where we were

I used to start Bomb Lift Trucks in the Air Force like that when the switches wouldn't work. Never in front of QA though. LOL

Reactions: qslim
Ha, I remember when my ignition switch blew I had to carry around a long flat head screwdriver and do the exact same thing. Connecting both points of the starter to get it to turn over 🤣

Too funny!

Classic . What is great is ...we don’t see anything unusual going on at all here .

The mindset is -what ever I have to do,I’m driving this Jeep today .

Reactions: RussTJ
When I started working transient alert at Ellington years ago, one of the older fuel trucks had a 9/16" wrench as a keychain. I kept asking what's up with that and the guys (a-holes lol) kept saying, oh you'll find out. Well almost a year goes by and every time I got in the truck everyone would stop and watch and get pissed as I drove off.. never could figure out what the hell this was all about. Until one day. It wouldn't start. Laughter ensued as I took the keys (and wrench) and crawled underneath to turn the flywheel so the few remaining teeth on the ring engaged the starter. I guess I got lucky everytime until it was my turn.

It’s been a great holiday weekend so far, Friday night Kimberly came over & we just hung out in the hut with some drinks & food in anticipation of our early rise Saturday morning to head to the mountains in the TJ for a day off road. Had an absolute blast all day Saturday, still topless, doorless & windowless since spring & the weather was picture perfect, high 70s & non-stop sun made for a great day off road with one of my best running mates. Last night was more drinks & grub upon our return home & there was no end to the fun today – we headed a few miles out of town to close by Phoenixville Pennsylvania for a nice long walk on the Schuylkill River Trail followed by a mid-afternoon lunch & drinks at the Rec Room by Conshohocken Brewing Company, fantastic beer if you haven’t been.

View attachment 112820

Anyway we get seated in this spot & parked right next to us is this sweet little green 98 TJ, 31 inch tires & a stubby stinger.

View attachment 112821

I sat there for a good 30 minutes sipping my beer & admiring it when three guys jumped in. About 10 seconds later the driver gets out & walks around to the passenger side holding a long screw driver, gets down on the street & under the Jeep when all of a sudden it cranks over. He jumps up & gets back in but of course I couldn’t resist talking to him, asked him what that was all about & he explained & just installed a new starter but needed to (can’t exactly remember what) before it would start

View attachment 112822View attachment 112823

I just couldn’t help but smile watching this whole thing. I spend so much time under my TJ & so much more time seeing everyone else under theirs when off road that when I saw the dude crawl underneath it all seemed so normal, until it occurred to me where we were
Great story!.. shows how much we will go thru to keep enjoying our TJ’s