Why not use a padlock for a hood lock?

Ez?
Did you end up not using any padlock at all?
Thanks
I just carried one of those round master locks in my door and put it on while away from the jeep for any situation where I didn't want to risk leaving it open. I only ended up using it a few times because I never added protection for the condenser, and I never looked for a lock that might not hit.

Reactions: americanwrkmule
Oh, I have consider all of the aftermarket lock kits I could find. Like the kit pictured, many look cool but after reading reviews it seems most don't measure up to their marketing and cost/value. I was trying to take the K.I.S.S. approach.

review.JPG

147545-lg.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, I have consider all of the aftermarket lock kits I could find. Like the kit pictured, many look cool but after reading reviews it seems most don't measure up to their marketing and cost/value. I was trying to take the K.I.S.S. approach.

View attachment 115869
If I thought they were worth a shit, I wouldn't be giving them away. The TJ has flexible hood latches for a reason.

Just because I like to stir the pot sometimes...

It could be argued that, should the stock rubber hood latches fail, a lock through the secondary latch "may" help prevent the hood from flying up...

Reactions: americanwrkmule
Do you guys require an attendant to release the catch/latch to raise the hood?
Yes.
The attendant is paid for with our high property taxes and income taxes because we don't have a sales tax.

Reactions: jjvw
Yes.
The attendant is paid for with our high property taxes and income taxes because we don't have a sales tax.
They claim it's a public safety measure but that's complete BS. it's workfare where the recipient has to show up and do something meaningless. Id wager that everyone from the taxpayers to the workers would feel better if the job was something useful.

I know this thread is a bit old, but anyway. I just added the padlock to my hood latch. It was the cheapest easiest option for me. I have the AC cooler and the lock doesn't make contact, it can't swing in that direction. I also painted the padlock black to try and make it blend in a bit. I made a little hook in the glovebox for the spare key. Anyway, it works for me.

IMG_0155.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

I know this thread is a bit old, but anyway. I just added the padlock to my hood latch. It was the cheapest easiest option for me. I have the AC cooler and the lock doesn't make contact, it can't swing in that direction. I also painted the padlock black to try and make it blend in a bit. I made a little hook in the glovebox for the spare key. Anyway, it works for me.

View attachment 202854

View attachment 202855

View attachment 202856
this what we ended up doing as well. a lot better and simpler solution than the made in china chrome plated add on crap