Why would my passenger side lean an inch?

OME Springs are different for Driver Pass side
Maybe missing a coil spring Isolator pad
Coil spring may not be seated /indexed correctly, I believe they need to be clocked to fit in the bucket been awhile since I have had mine out

FWIW I run OME springs and shocks and have zero complaints about ride or stance,
I had Zero difference over 4 years on my OME springs and they are still giving a level stance on another rig.

My RockJock 4” springs at the rear are only 1/4” different, but the rig is leaning 1”. Still have some things to check.

Measuring your springs out of vehicle will not always tell you everything. As the right rear takes the force for so long it can effect spring tension but may not show until under weight. The spring when measured for tension may be softer but still same length. Which will cause a squat with vehicle weight on it.

@ejay, any updates?
Nope. I'm not prepared to remove the springs right now to see if they measure up. Or to swap them to see if I lean the other direction. The plan is to fire the parts cannon and get new springs eventually and see if that fixes it. That probably won't happen until next spring.

I had Zero difference over 4 years on my OME springs and they are still giving a level stance on another rig.

My RockJock 4” springs at the rear are only 1/4” different, but the rig is leaning 1”. Still have some things to check.
Ouch, that sounds 'awful, not optimal'. Hopefully you can find the answer. I get all Jeeps will be different, but surely your can't be that different to others with those springs. Would be interesting to hear what happens if you swap the sides the springs are on.

The plan is to fire the parts cannon and get new springs eventually and see if that fixes it. That probably won't happen until next spring.
That’s the best and most complicated, inadvertent pun I’ve ever read.

• Haha
Reactions: psrivats and ejay
Ouch, that sounds 'awful, not optimal'. Hopefully you can find the answer. I get all Jeeps will be different, but surely your can't be that different to others with those springs. Would be interesting to hear what happens if you swap the sides the springs are on.
🤷‍♂️. I’m fine with it for now.

One of the more amusing things that has come out of it in this thread is that some people think it has to do with parking one way in your garage and all one needs to do is turn around and it will lean the other way. Who is so stupid they couldn’t figure that out?

Or the comment that uncompressed length won’t answer all your questions. Ya think?

Nope. I'm not prepared to remove the springs right now to see if they measure up. Or to swap them to see if I lean the other direction. The plan is to fire the parts cannon and get new springs eventually and see if that fixes it. That probably won't happen until next spring.

So, in my suggestion to measure the springs, I did not mean when removed. I meant under load. Seems like the right place to start when trying to diagnose any asymmetry in ride height.

If indeed your springs are sagging due to age or uneven wear and tear (torque load), it would show as a difference in the mounted spring length.

Reactions: ejay and JMT
So, in my suggestion to measure the springs, I did not mean when removed. I meant under load. Seems like the right place to start when trying to diagnose any asymmetry in ride height.

If indeed your springs are sagging due to age or uneven wear and tear (torque load), it would show as a difference in the mounted spring length.
Curious. If the vehicle leans to that side, wouldn't it compress the springs on that side accordingly no matter what the problem was? Baring physical damage, of course.

Curious. If the vehicle leans to that side, wouldn't it compress the springs on that side accordingly no matter what the problem was? Baring physical damage, of course.

Sure, I would think so too. But it rules out anything unusual, and gives a more accurate measurement to be working with. Again, just seems like the right place to start.

But I should probably bow out now, because others on this thread are way more knowledgeable than I am.

So I first noticed that my rear passenger side looked to be a little low when I was following my wife home from the mechanic the other day. I just went out to measure and it's definitely leaning a little back and to the right. I didn't break out the micrometer but by my quick measurements it's down 3/4" on the passenger side. Measuring from the ground to the bottom of the bumper it was 22" on the rear driver, 21.25" on the rear passenger (and fwiw, 23" each side in the front).

I also did a hasty spring measurement and it came out to ~11" on the driver side rear, and ~10.75" on the passenger side rear. So it doesn't seem to be an especially worn spring in my case.

Unfortunately, the lift and other work on it was all done by the PO, so its history is a little hazy to me. The only mechanical thing we have done is a new track bar to help fix the wonky alignment from the lift done by the PO.

Reactions: JMT
So I first noticed that my rear passenger side looked to be a little low when I was following my wife home from the mechanic the other day. I just went out to measure and it's definitely leaning a little back and to the right. I didn't break out the micrometer but by my quick measurements it's down 3/4" on the passenger side. Measuring from the ground to the bottom of the bumper it was 22" on the rear driver, 21.25" on the rear passenger (and fwiw, 23" each side in the front).

I also did a hasty spring measurement and it came out to ~11" on the driver side rear, and ~10.75" on the passenger side rear. So it doesn't seem to be an especially worn spring in my case.

Unfortunately, the lift and other work on it was all done by the PO, so its history is a little hazy to me. The only mechanical thing we have done is a new track bar to help fix the wonky alignment from the lift done by the PO.
Mine does that, when I swing my tire carrier open all the weight goes to the passenger side. Even when it's closed it seems there's more weight on the passenger side.

The springs are the only thing left for me to replace; I think. I've recently replaced my RE upper and lower control arms with RockJocks and the ProComp MX6 shocks with Ranch 9000XLs. I'd hate to replace the springs just to find that it's something compressing them on that side more than the driver side.

If I am honest, as long as it's not a safety or reliability concern and is just aesthetics, I don't really much care. But it does seem curious to me that it is this pronounced as I am pretty sure that our TJ has only seen about 10k miles while lifted, and its first 65k were all stock. It did look like (with a quick measurement) the compressed spring height was a little different, but .25" height difference in the springs wouldn't create .75" difference in the height side to side just by itself.
Mine does that, when I swing my tire carrier open all the weight goes to the passenger side. Even when it's closed it seems there's more weight on the passenger side.
I did measure with the tailgate open/closed and it does lower the passenger side a little more when it's opened, but again I don't think it would be the only factor. It's been 19 years since I took Statics and drew a free body diagram so I think my head would pop before I could do it at this point, but when it's closed the load should be pretty evenly balanced.

Reactions: Apparition
I was going to get some new Rock Jock springs but that money went to the Excursion. I wonder if 3/4" spacers on the pass side would be a decent temp fix.

🤷‍♂️. I’m fine with it for now.

One of the more amusing things that has come out of it in this thread is that some people think it has to do with parking one way in your garage and all one needs to do is turn around and it will lean the other way. Who is so stupid they couldn’t figure that out?

Or the comment that uncompressed length won’t answer all your questions. Ya think?
Same people who don’t how to use their low beams… lots of idiots out there

• Haha