Why you should "super" your Dana 35 axle

And unfortunately. The wife has plans tomorrow. So I'm watching the kiddos.
So, as for today. I'm tidying everything up. And just cleaning.
This will have to wait until next weekend. I want to dedicate an entire day for this so I can have the time, and not feel rushed on this.

Best of luck and make sure you let us know how it goes & of course come back and ask if you need help. Just take your time and double check everything.

Reactions: Grey_Machine7.3
Best of luck and make sure you let us know how it goes & of course come back and ask if you need help. Just take your time and double check everything.
I've got the "retaining straps?" Marked driver/passenger & top/bottom.
I forgot to measure the backlash of the gears I took out.

I'm thinking hard on doing a disc brake swap while I have everything apart. Looking as it will be apart for at least two weeks. I've got a few days to think about it

Here's a few of my helper.
"Don't worry dad, I fix your jeep."

Picks up a hammer and starts tapping the side panel.
Me "hey don't hit it with that one please"
Her "I try and fix it, then we have fun"

IMG_20200501_173140.jpg

IMG_20200501_173143.jpg

The pictures reminded me when I had a K5 blazer and the rear diff exploded into pieces. Had to get it towed. Tow guy didnt come with a flat bed he picked up my two front tires and started to tow. I seen my axle coming out little by little while he was driving I honked and honked the stupid driver didn’t stop. My wheel along with the axle went flying to the opposite side of the street and my K5 was sitting on the drum in the middle of the street. What a total mess that was.Luckily the wheel and axle didn’t hurt no one or hit any cars.

Haha I had a K5 GMC Jimmy that happens to, threw the pinion shaft through the 10 bolts housing. I wasn’t far from home so just limped it back.

Following your thread.
When I rebuilt mine, I pulled the complete axle out of the Jeep to give me better access...but mine has no lift. It did seem to make it easier taking the carrier in and out while setting everything up, since I could rotate it with the pinion facing down and let gravity do it's thing.

Here's a few of my helper.
"Don't worry dad, I fix your jeep."

Picks up a hammer and starts tapping the side panel.
Me "hey don't hit it with that one please"
Her "I try and fix it, then we have fun"

View attachment 157693

View attachment 157694

When my daughter was around that age she would come out to help me and would take the wire brush and clean the frame. Then one day I went to get something from the house and come out and here she is trying to clean the sides of the Jeep with the wire brush.

I've got the "retaining straps?" Marked driver/passenger & top/bottom.
I forgot to measure the backlash of the gears I took out.

I'm thinking hard on doing a disc brake swap while I have everything apart. Looking as it will be apart for at least two weeks. I've got a few days to think about it

Your old backlash numbers aren't going to matter. Just make sure you set the tolerance of the new gears to whatever they are. Get your pattern correct and your pre-load right.

Your old backlash numbers aren't going to matter. Just make sure you set the tolerance of the new gears to whatever they are. Get your pattern correct and your pre-load right.
[/QUOTE]

X2

And food for thought. I can do all of this work with all the upgraded, and locker, for a few hundred dollars more than a plane Jane USED Dana 44 rear. With a gear ratio I probably wouldn't want.

Exactly This, and for the cost of a built 8.8 and can build a one ton axle. I bought a complete Super 35 already Geared to 4.88 from a guy in a local jeep group that bought into the idea he. just had to have an 8.8. Paid $400 and just had to cut off a 4 link truss and weld on UCA brackets. Changed the the oil and slapped it in my jeep.

I have been reading the trail repairs and I agree you should be fine to push it back in. Just have some bailing wire, some ratchet straps, duct tape and make sure you have some logs near by. nothing to it! maybe a milk jug just in case LOL.
:geek:
Congratulations on the up coming upgrade!
Like this

dana35tree2_zps9f864141.jpg

If your having trouble pulling the seal, you can use a chisel or even a flat head and a hammer to fold the outer flange of the seal in(towards where the pinion would be). Just try not to mar the housing at all.