Why you want a Mopar radiator

Please forgive me Blaine as I'm usually pretty good at deciphering your code-speak... I must be having a brain fart moment. Are you saying you know people that have had to replace their Griffin radiators after just 1 year? I'm just trying to clear my own fog here, thanks.
Correct

My Jeep came with an aftermarket radiator when I bought it. While everything was working, I just replaced it with a Mopar made in USA radiator bought here in the UAE.

If the idiot gauge works with any degree of accuracy, it appears to run a needle width cooler. I'll keep the aftermarket 3 year old radiator as a spare.

In the old days when I was a wrench, most radiators had metal tanks. When a radiator went bad, the best option for replacement was to bring it to a radiator shop and have it re-cored.

The replacement cores were considered superior quality and cooling capacity. The radiator shop we used was topnotch. I don't ever recall having any issues with the re-cored radiators. Ever.

I remember when replacement radiators started appearing on the market that were cheaper than the re-core cost. The radiator shop said, those radiators are junk, but their price is killing our business. I think the shop may have closed in the later 1980's.

So theres this patch? on this mopar radiator I just got from summit for $178.

Anyone know what this is? Is it a serial number?
20200406_184324.jpg

Good day all, been reading various posts all over forum... anything that relates to radiators and jeep cooling systems... and have gotten a little overwhelmed. Figured with covid 19 going on I'd work on my '97 wrangler purchased last year to replace water pump, thermostat/housing and radiator, hoses, etc... going to do the whole tamale. Discovered that many oem parts are "discontinued" or some suppliers linked in other post only list parts for 2001 or newer. I have also read enough post per cheap after markets that I'm precluding using them. I'm a bit stymied were to procure parts now. Checked Rockauto, and was curious if others could give input as to durability and similar performance to "discontinued" oem mopar products.
Might just have information overload, but last time I went cheap, I did not appriciate the 20 mile walk out to the road...
Thanks for any guidance or opinions.
Will

Good day all, been reading various posts all over forum... anything that relates to radiators and jeep cooling systems... and have gotten a little overwhelmed. Figured with covid 19 going on I'd work on my '97 wrangler purchased last year to replace water pump, thermostat/housing and radiator, hoses, etc... going to do the whole tamale. Discovered that many oem parts are "discontinued" or some suppliers linked in other post only list parts for 2001 or newer. I have also read enough post per cheap after markets that I'm precluding using them. I'm a bit stymied were to procure parts now. Checked Rockauto, and was curious if others could give input as to durability and similar performance to "discontinued" oem mopar products.
Might just have information overload, but last time I went cheap, I did not appriciate the 20 mile walk out to the road...
Thanks for any guidance or opinions.
Will

when I need a replacement part where the Mopar has been discontinued I go through the following:
1. Search for new old stock Mopar parts
2. search for a new part by the original manufacturer of the Mopar part (such information can be difficult to come by)
3. Search for good used Mopar parts
4. Search for a remanufactured Mopar part by a US or Canada based remanufacturer with decent forum reviews
5. Search for a new part by a preferably US, Canada, or Japan based manufacturer with an established OEM reputation and/or decent forum reviews (examples such as Delphi, Denso, Bosch, etc)

My 2018 purchase from rockauto has the Mopar emblem cast into it. We shall see when it comes time.

when I need a replacement part where the Mopar has been discontinued I go through the following:
1. Search for new old stock Mopar parts
2. search for a new part by the original manufacturer of the Mopar part (such information can be difficult to come by)
3. Search for good used Mopar parts
4. Search for a remanufactured Mopar part by a US or Canada based remanufacturer with decent forum reviews
5. Search for a new part by a preferably US, Canada, or Japan based manufacturer with an established OEM reputation and/or decent forum reviews (examples such as Delphi, Denso, Bosch, etc)

Seems most posts I have read strongly recommend OEM parts. Of course problem is my 1997 jeep is on the other side of the line for age... kinda like me...
There's lots of suppliers and online product but truthfully unless I have a direct referral to the source I not inclined to purchase from them. I may be alittle old school, but I like to hold the item I'm going to purchase and ditectly compare it to the part being replaced. That said, i am gratful for your recommendation on process for getting parts and will use it. I'm sure I'll be wrenching on this jeep ongoing into the future and I'll have to adjust my purchasing preferences some. If I find/get good info on suppliers, whether oem or aftermarket, I'll use them. I'm new at all things "jeep" but have restored a '61 Ford 3/4 ton with the unibody (no gap between bed an cab), multiple 60's VW's (baha'd and classic restoration) and made a rock crawler out of a '79 Chevy Luv before rock crawlers were a thing.
I'm open to any suggestions as I want a dependable, trustworthy jeep as it will become my preferred work vehicle for professional photography and recreation.
Thanks again, glad to make your acquaintance.
Will J.

Seems most posts I have read strongly recommend OEM parts. Of course problem is my 1997 jeep is on the other side of the line for age... kinda like me...

That comes from the combined experience of forum members that have been bitten by aftermarket parts.

Mine is a 99, so though I do have some parts different from the 97, I'm often in the same boat with parts that are still available for the later models but not mine.

I may be alittle old school, but I like to hold the item I'm going to purchase and ditectly compare it to the part being replaced.

I get that. When I did my water pump I ended up buying 2 in person and one online (a Mopar, an AC Delco, and NAPA), laying them all out on my dinner table and comparing them until I decided on one, and returned the other two. If I remember correctly, I liked the casting on the AC Delco the best, the NAPA had the best (smallest) impeller clearance, but I went with the Mopar because I felt like that gave me the best shot at having the best seal and bearing, which are parts I couldn't inspect (and if I could, I wouldn't know how to tell good from bad anyway). It's worth noting that in the case of the water pump, it appeared Mopar had changed suppliers somewhere along the line and did not in any way resemble the factory pump I took off.

I just looked up a MOPAR radiator on Rock Auto. $438.
Below that are two from CSF, a two row and a three row, $252 and $321
Then it jumps down to the $100 and less range.
Wow, that's a real big range. I may be about to spring for the MOPAR, I have bad luck with radiators. I hope it's worth it.
Has anyone used the CSF products?

I just looked up a MOPAR radiator on Rock Auto. $438.
Below that are two from CSF, a two row and a three row, $252 and $321
Then it jumps down to the $100 and less range.
Wow, that's a real big range. I may be about to spring for the MOPAR, I have bad luck with radiators. I hope it's worth it.
Has anyone used the CSF products?

wow, if that's the case we must be closer to the end than I'd feared. Mine might have been $250 when I bought it, at most.

Rockauto- First pic is for 04 TJ, second is for 97. Still reasonable for the newer style although I’m not sure what the Middle East mopar version is for the ‘97. It’s the only Mopar one listed.

7D1696D8-F421-44A1-9A02-B9DE968B9AA0.png

026E5DA8-A578-4A3E-B985-C2CEC88B2A0F.png