Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

I've got a VA appointment tomorrow so I won't be working on the Jeep. Then Tuesday I need to run into town and pick up some items. I need a couple spray bottles 🍼 to mix up the degreaser in ➕ one for just water for the final cleaning.
And I also need to swap out the bottle of Argon I have for a bottle of tri-mix for welding the exhaust with. From what the guy at OxArc said tri-mix is expensive now. Helium is in short supply so it has gotten expensive.

@starkey480

Right I’m assuming with that kit you are paying for quite a bit of convenience of not having to figure it all out yourself. I feel like I’ve seen Blaine say that kit is against his build principle but I’m not quite sure why.

So not to clog up Kmas0n's thread, yes I think you are paying for the design part of it. But the steering joints and other parts are worth it unless you have access to stuff like that. I honestly have NO clue about what is and isn't a Blaine build principle and I'd guess 90% of my TJ is against his build principle. I'm on ignore and as someone pointed out I'm no longer offered advice by SOME cause they felt I wasn't listening and so it isn't worth their time.

I'm sure there are other ways to tackle this problem other than to do the box rotation it works for what I needed and I'd asked how to do it differently and was told I was a fucktard. Until I can drive it and wheel it I can't tell you if there are any real issues with it but Nashville TJ has had his installed for a while and hasn't had any issues with his.

And I also need to swap out the bottle of Argon I have for a bottle of tri-mix for welding the exhaust with. From what the guy at OxArc said tri-mix is expensive now. Helium is in short supply so it has gotten expensive.
It's getting to a point where the cost of things is going beyond absurd. I have a small water feature I put in for my wife three years ago. When I first started buying bleach, at Walmart, to knock down the algae, it was under $2 a gallon. I just went to pick up a gallon this weekend and it was $6 a gallon. Unfortunately, that trend has crept into everything and is really starting to hurt people I know. :(

It's getting to a point where the cost of things is going beyond absurd. I have a small water feature I put in for my wife three years ago. When I first started buying bleach, at Walmart, to knock down the algae, it was under $2 a gallon. I just went to pick up a gallon this weekend and it was $6 a gallon. Unfortunately, that trend has crept into everything and is really starting to hurt people I know. :(
It's out of control!
Just a couple to clog the build thread:
28% Nitrogen fertilizer last year $168/ton this year north of $550
One year ago I paid $340 for 55 gallon of diesel oil. $587 now.

Seems like every part is astronomical in price and you should just be happy that they have it.

We use the crap out of those 2&3" scotchbrite discs. You're going for bedliner finish, not a mirror. Great spot for their use.
I'm with @Farmergreg. I use the hell out of 2" discs for all my surface prep. They work well in tight/small spaces, whether on the body or frame!

This one has both scotchbrite and traditional sanding discs
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0897MLK9B/?tag=wranglerorg-20
This one is just scotchbrite style
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T1M9KC1/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Trying to get into all the odd angles of the tub is turning out to be easier with the angle grinder with a 2" disc than using the 6" DA sander.

View attachment 291750

I'm sure when it comes time for the body armor and fenders and sliders because they are flat the bigger sander will be fine.

View attachment 291751

But getting into all the stuff in the tub it isn't working.
You need to try the 2” Scotch-Brite bristle discs.

1637590715395.jpeg

It's out of control!
Just a couple to clog the build thread:
28% Nitrogen fertilizer last year $168/ton this year north of $550
One year ago I paid $340 for 55 gallon of diesel oil. $587 now.

Seems like every part is astronomical in price and you should just be happy that they have it.
Not in the same category as your must pay items, however, I've been deferring on some stuff I'd like to do. A "she shed", for the wife's gardening, is one such item, but the lumber prices are ridiculous and I refuse to pay it! :cautious:

Don’t worry people will catch on to the cause of all this when the’re standing in line for their ration of potatoes and Vodka. @Farmergreg you need to start growing potatoes.
I’ve got a friend that does irrigation work near Rigby Idaho...he said the farmers there sold all their potatoes right out of the field since the prices were great. Of course farmers got to spend all the money they make....so he’s busy as heck.

You need to try the 2” Scotch-Brite bristle discs.

View attachment 291891

I'd just bought some and hadn't thought about trying them for this. I wasn't honest sure what they were good for. When @qslim was rebuilding the Toyota engine he'd posted a picture of them so I'd gotten some.

We use the crap out of those 2&3" scotchbrite discs. You're going for bedliner finish, not a mirror. Great spot for their use.

I'd always heard that the best paint jobs were due to great prep work. I ain't trying to make it perfect but I also want to make sure I've got all the dirt, rust & flakey paint removed before I try to spray anything down.

I've never seen these and now have a new tool I learned about! (y) :)

You're as bad as ME....

I'd always heard that the best paint jobs were due to great prep work. I ain't trying to make it perfect but I also want to make sure I've got all the dirt, rust & flakey paint removed before I try to spray anything down.
That's definitely the approach to take! Back in high school I religiously prepped and painted my Miata with rattle cans and it turned out incredible. Not a single person believed me when I told them I used $5 cans of Rustoleum to do the whole thing. It took me about three weeks of pulling panel by panel off and prepping/painting. I made sure to follow the cure timing to the minute and only had one panel that messed up... but that was due to a bad can of paint.

7619977424_1cd84082fa_o-jpg-jpg.jpg

7619980286_aeaa44ca08_o-jpg-jpg.jpg

That's definitely the approach to take! Back in high school I religiously prepped and painted my Miata with rattle cans and it turned out incredible. Not a single person believed me when I told them I used $5 cans of Rustoleum to do the whole thing. It took me about three weeks of pulling panel by panel off and prepping/painting. I made sure to follow the cure timing to the minute and only had one panel that messed up... but that was due to a bad can of paint.

View attachment 291922

View attachment 291923
Impressive!

I'd just bought some and hadn't thought about trying them for this. I wasn't honest sure what they were good for. When @qslim was rebuilding the Toyota engine he'd posted a picture of them so I'd gotten some.
We called them "Magic Fingers" (jokingly) at the last shop I worked at. The yellow ones that I used we specifically used for removing gasket material from aluminum, the finger design and the material is soft enough and the grit fine enough to not gouge the aluminum surface. I've never used the green but it's just a different grit.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40064937/

OK @Irun @Alex01 @bobthetj03 and any of you other painters. Before I install the armor this time I want to get my tub clean and properly protected. Now I am not looking to make the paint shine like it did in 1997 nor am I overly worried about removing scratches or the sort. But I do have all these old armor holes that I welded closed that will need a minimum of primer paint. But what I am more asking about and not sure of is just the general paint?

This paint if old and has some surface rust on it. Do I just use rubbing compound on the pads?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YLX55WA/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Or

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W5HCZ9M/?tag=wranglerorg-20
20200505_161955.jpg

And then once I've got it cleaned up what do I put on it? Just wax?

20211114_133421.jpg

Figured I'd try to buy some of this stuff during Black Friday or Cyber Monday sales.

Reactions: kiwi