Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

OK now I just need to grind the base to match the frame a little bit.
20220213_133308.jpg

20220213_132824.jpg

I cut up into the corner a little like Someguysjeep suggested.

20220213_132831.jpg

And I'll just need to shorten the links about 1.5"

20220213_132927.jpg

Wait what. I didn’t realize that part. I definitely wouldn’t have put all this work into it… because

You’ll get finished one day. I’m rooting for you.

Yes I've managed to break 3 R&P in this axle so far. But this is the last one. If it breaks again I'm going to a low pinion axle.

Yes I've managed to break 3 R&P in this axle so far. But this is the last one. If it breaks again I'm going to a low pinion axle.
There ya go talking to yourself again... I hate it when that happens...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

(that = people I don't remember interacting with, having me blocked):rolleyes:

OK AR is tacked in place. Got another question.

20220213_141612.jpg

20220213_141616.jpg

So for the lower tab that the link bolts to. Do I install it facing up at a 12 o'clock position? 🤔

20220213_141355.jpg

20220213_141407.jpg

Or at the 9 o'clock position?

20220213_141428.jpg

20220213_141437.jpg

Not sure that I need the adjustability of those 3 holes.

Wont the angle of the link bar slightly alter the leverage on the AR's torsion.

That would be a question for someone who has me on ignore.
I honestly don't know.
Doesn't the angle change going from the inner hole to the outer hole on the old style fronts? That had 5 holes?

That would be a question for someone who has me on ignore.
I honestly don't know.
Doesn't the angle change going from the inner hole to the outer hole on the old style fronts? That had 5 holes?
Changing those holes changes the distance from the fulcrum point. The further away = more leverage = easier to twist the bar = more flex, closer = the opposite.

I could be making a mountain out of a mole hill, as long as the angle isn't to far off from 90° it probably wont effect much.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Changing those holes changes the distance from the fulcrum point. The further away = more leverage = easier to twist the bar = more flex, closer = the opposite.

I could be making a mountain out of a mole hill, as long as the angle isn't to far off from 90° it probably wont effect much.

Yes I understand that but the angle of the link changes as you move it from the inner to outer position right?

And I'm not sure how much I'd notice the difference between the inner and outer spots on the tab.

This is all it says in the directions.

You’ll want the link straight up and down when viewed from the back of the vehicle, and you’ll want the tab to be pointing straight out the back - so the 3 holes in the tab would be level.

As long as the rear AR has enough length it won't want to fold at droop or hit the upper wheel well at full stuff. Looks best mounted 12 o'clock.

As long as the rear AR has enough length it won't want to fold. Looks best mounted 12 o'clock.

I can adjust the length of the links so I don't think that will be an issue. The only down side to mounting at 12 o'clock is no adjustability. But I don't know that it will matter.

The other thing it says in the directions is that the heim on the arm must be mounted facing inward. So if that's the case I'll have to bend the arms a little more.

Reactions: reddvltj
since they only give you 1 mount point on the arm would the axle bracket then act as the leverage adjustment?

the way the directions are worded looks like 9oclk, i'd assume thats is why.
you could shave the bracket so that bottom hole is tight to the tube at 90* and the further holes offer some adjustment, if you end up preferring the close hole or even the next lop off the undesired part later after some trail testing.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrDmoney
Yes I understand that but the angle of the link changes as you move it from the inner to outer position right?

And I'm not sure how much I'd notice the difference between the inner and outer spots on the tab.

This is all it says in the directions.
With my limited knowledge (not much really) of trigonometry, the further you are from 90° to the bar the more torque required to move it, and with the 5 holes in the arm, I would think it would be best to keep the angle as close to 90° from the center arm hole to the center tab hole as possible.

With as close as all the mount holes are though, it does seem more like a mole hill than a mountain...

since they only give you 1 mount point on the arm would the axle bracket then act as the leverage adjustment?

the way the directions are worded looks like 9oclk, i'd assume thats is why.
you could shave the bracket so that bottom hole is tight to the tube at 90* and the further holes offer some adjustment, if you end up preferring the close hole or even the next lop off the undesired part later after some trail testing.

Yes only the one hole on the arms so the tab on the axle with the 3 holes is how you adjust the stiffness. But honestly I have always ran mine on the loosest setting and ran it So I'm more inclined to just put the tab at 12 o'clock and cut it off.

With my limited knowledge (not much really) of trigonometry, the further you are from 90° to the bar the more torque required to move it, and with the 5 holes in the arm, I would think it would be best to keep the angle as close to 90° from the center arm hole to the center tab hole as possible.

With as close as all the mount holes are though, it does seem more like a mole hill than a mountain...

I never made it to trig so I have no CLUE...

The other thing it says in the directions is that the heim on the arm must be mounted facing inward. So if that's the case I'll have to bend the arms a little more.

This is the biggest difference I noticed between your mock up and the pics of MidnightLJR’s build you showed. I think you would want that round smoother surface toward the airbag just in case was contact.

This is the biggest difference I noticed between your mock up and the pics of MidnightLJR’s build you showed. I think you would want that round smoother surface toward the airbag just in case was contact.

Yep,
I'll put a little more bend in the arms tomorrow so I can turn the heim around.

I'm confused now because all the pictures of the heims show it on the outside of the arms.

1644825625716.png

1644825684042.png

1644825752670.png

All that is except this one.

1644825840422.png

OK AR is tacked in place. Got another question.

View attachment 309501

View attachment 309502

So for the lower tab that the link bolts to. Do I install it facing up at a 12 o'clock position? 🤔

View attachment 309497

View attachment 309498

Or at the 9 o'clock position?

View attachment 309499

View attachment 309500

Not sure that I need the adjustability of those 3 holes.
The 9 (or 3) position will give some adjustability. As you mentioned though it may not be needed. If you are sure it’s not needed, do the angle with angle with best clearance and cut the other holes off for even more room/clearance.