Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

Well I checked my ARB before I'd put the cover on. And realized that I can't use the fancy cover I'd bought because of where the air line for the ARB comes out. And when I checked the ARB I found out I had a air leak.... :( I'd tried to use the square 0-rings and had lubed them up good but I still ended up cutting one of them. So I had to pull the carrier back out. :cautious: Put the round o-rings I'd bought and slapped it back together.

This FUCKING AXLE hates me... It has fought me every step.

So then I started on the new brakes for the rear. This axle came with Explorer brakes which IMO are too small for anything over 35" tires. So I'd decided to buy the Cadillac Eldorado calipers with the built in parking brake from Ruff Stuff and got their brackets also.
So I watched some video's on How To and read some install instructions and went and tackled it.

View attachment 308529

View attachment 308530

View attachment 308531

I'm using the same vented style rotor as what is on the front of the Jeep.

View attachment 308532

View attachment 308533

Actually wasn't that hard. I'll do the other side tomorrow and work on the soft like routing.

View attachment 308534

View attachment 308535
It will be interesting to get some first hand feedback on those calipers.

Hang in there, Dude. The axle doesn't hate you, it's just testing you a bit.

After a lot of the reading I did I wonder if the people who had complaints didn't setup the brakes correctly. So I'll be the ginny pig on them for this group.

Well it's tested me alright.

Reactions: reddvltj
Yes it does. It's grenaded three times!

Yep the third time wasn't the charm. But I've setup these gears myself this time so if it blows again it's getting retired. Or moved to the front.

The first step if defeating your enemies is identifying the foe and that axle ain't no friend of wildman.

I'm stubborn and don't give up easy...

After a lot of the reading I did I wonder if the people who had complaints didn't setup the brakes correctly. So I'll be the ginny pig on them for this group.

Well it's tested me alright.
As someone who used to have to tell people how to make them work I can tell you they take a serious amount of patience to get the parking mechanism to work well.

Reactions: Wildman
As someone who used to have to tell people how to make them work I can tell you they take a serious amount of patience to get the parking mechanism to work well.

Well I've got the writeup that Ruff Stuff has on their website and I've read some other articles on the subject so I'm willing to TRY. I could never get the hat parking brake to work in the Explorer brakes so if these don't work I ain't any worse off. My last choice will be to install a line lock on the rear brake lines.

Make sure you have the correct pads first thing.
Well I've got the writeup that Ruff Stuff has on their website and I've read some other articles on the subject so I'm willing to TRY. I could never get the hat parking brake to work in the Explorer brakes so if these don't work I ain't any worse off. My last choice will be to install a line lock on the rear brake lines.
Biggest thing is to make sure you have the actual D122 and not D52 boxed as D122 and follow the adjustment procedure to the T.

Reactions: Wildman
Make sure you have the correct pads first thing.

Biggest thing is to make sure you have the actual D122 and not D52 boxed as D122 and follow the adjustment procedure to the T.
https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/R2262-A.html
They come loaded with brake pads. I'll look at them tomorrow and see if I can find any markings on them. Won't Assume that this is what they included.

Still got to figure out how I'm going to activate them too. Been looking at the electric parking brake option but they are proud of them.

https://www.estopp.com/product-page/e-stopp-standard-kit

While I agree with what Lou posted I had looked at what Ruff Stuff recommended for their rear disc brake brackets before I'd done this. And Right or Wrong the rotor part number that they suggest you use is a Ford Bronco front rotor since disc brakes were never offered back then on the rear of a truck with a 9" axle.

NAPA Part numbers for Front 4x4 Chevy Calipers and Bronco Rotors:

Caliper ONLY: LH - N4674, RH - N4673 - Both of these are LATER year part numbers

OR

LH - N4597, RH - N4596 - Both of these are EARLIER year part numbers

Ford 9" Rotor - NB 4885611 Premium Rotor. To use as a slip over rotor you may need to turn down your axle shaft flange

UP 85611 Ultra Premium

NB 4885611 Premium Rotor

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NB_4885611
But I'd done some searching and found a kit offered by Speedway

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/5568BP-Replacement-Rotors-for-Ford-9-Inch-Disc-Brake-Kit,370580.html
So I'd rolled the dice and ordered these rotors on the chance they fit better? So once they arrive we'll see if it was worth the hassle to order them or not.

OK got the other bracket installed.
First step is install the bearing retainer plate.

20220211_101342.jpg

Then set the rotor and caliper on.

20220211_102443.jpg

Remove the banjo bolt and using a rubber tip air nozzle put air into the caliper to center the brake pads.

20220211_102457.jpg

Then tack the bracket in place.

20220211_102923.jpg

20220211_102930.jpg

Then take it back apart.

20220211_103137.jpg

20220211_103605.jpg

20220211_104851.jpg

Then burn the bracket on.

20220211_104858.jpg

20220211_104903.jpg

And wait for everything to cool back off before reassembling the axle and brakes.

The rear axle now has brakes installed. I'll figure out the hard line routing later.

20220211_111308.jpg

Also got the new tailgate hinges. They were a open box deal and my stock ones are terrible.

20220211_100822.jpg

20220211_100840.jpg

And then something I noticed about the new ARB air collar is that the new line is a lot smaller and softer than the original line.

20220211_100155.jpg

Not a lot to take pictures of today. Didn't get a lot done in some ways but I'd had a shitty night and didn't sleep much. The pinched nerves in my back were acting up BAD.

Got the rear axle back under the Jeep.

20220212_143051.jpg

Still got to get the axle centered under the Jeep but I threw a tire & wheel on and clamped the anti-rock in place. Then I put an arm on and started to mess around with them.

20220212_164549.jpg

I've got the arm bent but need to flex it some more and get the links mocked up so I can see what's hitting and where I might need to tweak things a bit more.

20220212_164603.jpg