Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

Okay I have to ask because I am now confused a little bit.
If I move the crossmember back forward 5" won't that just put it back in the way of my rear axle and the whole reason why I am moving the rear section of the frame back? Or am I not thinking this right?

Okay I have to ask because I am now confused a little bit.
If I move the crossmember back forward 5" won't that just put it back in the way of my rear axle and the whole reason why I am moving the rear section of the frame back? Or am I not thinking this right?
You have two problems to solve. One is how to pick up the body mounts again. The other is axle clearance. (axle meaning any thing attached, welded, bolted, or in some way, manner, or fashion attached to the housing that moves when the suspension cycles with the tires)

If you look back at the pictures, you'll see the stock crossmember with the center removed AFTER it was welded back in. But that was due to the control arm mounts hitting it dead center fore and aft. Your cut showed a tiny trim off the front. Move that up 1" or so by eliminating the body mount lift puck and it likely gets trimmed even less.

Reactions: Wildman
You have two problems to solve. One is how to pick up the body mounts again. The other is axle clearance. (axle meaning any thing attached, welded, bolted, or in some way, manner, or fashion attached to the housing that moves when the suspension cycles with the tires)

If you look back at the pictures, you'll see the stock crossmember with the center removed AFTER it was welded back in. But that was due to the control arm mounts hitting it dead center fore and aft. Your cut showed a tiny trim off the front. Move that up 1" or so by eliminating the body mount lift puck and it likely gets trimmed even less.

Okay that makes more sense. This goes back to the put it where you think you want it and then put everything back in place. Then cycle the suspension and check for clearance. They either move or cut things until everything works where you think you want it to be.

I hope I said that right.

Last night I started getting my binder with the pinout charts and wiring schematics together.
At night I'll work on the wiring so that I can build the new wiring harness.

20200530_061125.jpg

Well I'm past the point of no return.
For anyone waiting in suspense to see 👀 if I was really going to cut ✂️ the frame or not it's a done deal......

Passenger side.......

20200530_074559.jpg

Man when it dropped so did my stomach 😫 o_O

Drivers side..... I wonder if super glue would work 🤔?

20200530_075451.jpg

It's cut and just sitting there now.
Now to get it lowered down to the ground without hurting myself.

@mrblaine about how much would you guess the back part of the frames weight is?

For anyone waiting in suspense to see 👀 if I was really going to cut ✂ the frame or not it's a done deal......

Passenger side.......

View attachment 165761

View attachment 165766

75 lbs.

For anyone waiting in suspense to see 👀 if I was really going to cut ✂ the frame or not it's a done deal......

Passenger side.......

View attachment 165761

View attachment 165766

Looking at the cut you made, you will be glad you didn't cut the frame pieces first. When you get those cleaned up and square, the two sides are not going to be the same length.

Reactions: Wildman
Looking at the cut you made, you will be glad you didn't cut the frame pieces first. When you get those cleaned up and square, the two sides are not going to be the same length.

Yes the passenger side I fucked up on. Still not sure how I did that but I'm the first to admit I'm a shitty carpenter. I can't cut a straight line to save my life....:rolleyes:

And yes I'm glad I waited to cut the tubing.
I'm guessing now is the time to remove the old outboard shock mounts? Do everything I can to the frame while it's easier to get at?
I'm going to try removing the crossmember.

20200530_083100.jpg

Man these frames hold dirt. I would stick my hose in a hole trying to flush them out after each trip. But I'm finding out it really didn't work 😕.

20200530_083118.jpg

I wonder 🤔 how much extra Blaine charges for working on a muddy rig? Since I have heard he hates mud.

Crossmember is out and I even got it cut super close to the frame.

20200530_094556.jpg

Reactions: mattcogdell
Damn the Jeep looks funny without the rear crossmember poking out.

20200530_141922.jpg

20200530_141930.jpg

And a shot of underneath.

20200530_141941.jpg

I've lost a 1/4" from the length of the frame on the rear section.

20200530_142001.jpg

Working on cleaning up the cuts on the frame under the Jeep.

Because of my "F"d cut I lost a total of 1/2 " on the passenger side. Thankfully I listened to Blaine & Toximus when they suggested I wait until I was done. So where do I go from here? I think I need to put the rear section back under the Jeep and put the brackets on the frame and cycle the suspension. check everything and make sure where I think it's going is where I really want it to be.

I'm open to suggestions or advice on other things I might need to do.

... I think I need to put the rear section back under the Jeep and put the brackets on the frame and cycle the suspension. check everything and make sure where I think it's going is where I really want it to be.

I'm open to suggestions or advice on other things I might need to do.

Do that.

Got to see if I can find 2 more pairs of jack stands. If not I'll have to get some lumber to make something to hold the back section up.

I vacuumed as much of the dirt as I could out of the inside of the frame also.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat