Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

I'm not sure if this has coolant or just water in it. All the coolant that's come out is Brown. I know there is a coolant that is Brown looking but this all just looks like rust.

20240610_171103.jpg

20240613_134111.jpg

I really like having that catch tray under the engine stand.

I'm not sure if this has coolant or just water in it. All the coolant that's come out is Brown. I know there is a coolant that is Brown looking but this all just looks like rust.

View attachment 534291

View attachment 534292

Mixing OE long life coolant and the green stuff makes for a nasty brownish sludgy consistency kind of like what you have there...

Reactions: Wildman
OK I'm convinced... Damn these aluminum heads are light.
I can pick one up with one hand when with the Magnum heads it's a two hand struggle.

20240613_134643.jpg

The lifters on the Hemi are a interesting setup.

20240613_133749.jpg

20240613_133753.jpg

20240613_133800.jpg

Mixing OE long life coolant and the green stuff makes for a nasty brownish sludgy consistency kind of like what you have there...

I can test it and see what it is rated for. Might shead some light as to what it is.

View attachment 534291

View attachment 534292

20240613_134111.jpg

Did you remove this bolt (hole circled in red)?

Can't tell if it's shadow but it looks like the block hole and mount hole don't line up. Caught my eye so figured better to ask... ;)

—-

Excited to follow along with another engine teardown and re-build by you. It's always enjoyable to journey along with you and your knowledge.

BTW - I noticed that catch tray earlier in your build and will pick one up if I need to work on the engine stand again. Just one of those - 'that just makes sense' tools...

Good catch... I'm sure I'd have noticed it but thanks.

View attachment 534311

Glad to help out. That's one of those things that you'd catch putting them back on and a replacement (if the mount can't be moved with the other bolts in-place enough to clearance) just delays your schedule and plans... That'd be a frustrating moment.

Reactions: reddvltj
I'm glad I pulled the oil pan. The sludge in the bottom was nasty.

20240613_144434.jpg

20240613_144439.jpg

MoPar made the timing chain fool proof.
You line up these two colored parts of the chain with the mark on the camshaft sprocket.

20240613_150920.jpg

And then the dot on the crankshaft sprocket.

20240613_150936.jpg

Bring the engine to #1 top dead center and install the timing chain.

20240613_150944.jpg

Glad to help out. That's one of those things that you'd catch putting them back on and a replacement (if the mount can't be moved with the other bolts in-place enough to clearance) just delays your schedule and plans... That'd be a frustrating moment.

I'll pull one of the bolts and pick one up.
I ordered just the frame side motor mounts from AA. Figured I didn't need the whole kit.

With your talent and skill please continue and pull the pistons and check the rings, cylinders and bearings. There are surprises waiting for all of us.

I've been debating if I want to pull it apart. This wasn't supposed to be a engine rebuild.

It will be easier now that later.

It would but I'm not in a position to do a full rebuild.
I'm doing heads and camshaft now. If I need to rebuild it later on I will.

Edit: Did a little looking. If I was going to rebuild the engine right now I'd of course have to do a stroker crankshaft like Jeff (@NashvilleTJ ) did on his engine and all the kits I'm finding are $2500-3800 depending on options I was to go with. It'd make the 345ci into a 392-396ci depending on how much the engine needed to be bored. So this will be something I'll start saving up for and will plan on a rebuild in a few years.

Last edited: