Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

@mudmaster I got the AN adapter fittings yesterday. They fit great but I hadn't noticed I was missing the spring clips. Got some coming.

20240618_170454.jpg

I wish Chrysler and Fiat spent as much time thinking about the Wrangler as they did the Grand Cherokee. Wrangler has been totally neglected. It could have been remarkable by now.

Would you mind expanding? I’m just curious.

I’m no fan of all the nanny tech and ecological BS in the new Jeeps myself…

But I think it’s remarkable that Jeep has been able to keep a body on frame, solid front axle SUV this long on the market, while having all the offroad bells/whistles and easy modfiability.

Especially amongst ever increasing government regulations and changing consumer tastes.

Reactions: Rickyd and reddvltj
Would you mind expanding? I’m just curious.

I’m no fan of all the nanny tech and ecological BS in the new Jeeps myself…

But I think it’s remarkable that Jeep has been able to keep a body on frame, solid front axle SUV this long on the market, while having all the offroad bells/whistles and easy modfiability.

Especially amongst ever increasing government regulations and changing consumer tastes.

I’m no fan of the nanny tech and environmental BS either, so forget that…

These are just ideas, so all of them don’t comport.

A body on frame is essential to any truly “off-road vehicle” because it allows the flex between the body and frame. The fact they’ve kept that feature means this is supposed to be an “off-road vehicle.”

Here’s where I get confused. Jeep owners asked for a V-8 and Diesel options for decades without seeing one. Now they come out with an V-8 and it’s $120,000. Whatever. I guess I’ll do it myself.

Can they make a Jeep that doesn’t ride like a brick? SWB is no excuse. They now make 4-door versions and they still ride like bricks. I don’t remember Jeep owners saying, “Can you make it ride like shit?” But they do a great job making them ride like shit. I don’t like that shit. I know it can be done because people on here do it.

Where is some actual badass stuff? My GC Overland has air suspension. I just touch a button and it raises the suspension 1.1”. I hit it again and it raises it another 1.1” When I get on the highway it drops the suspension for what they call aero mode. It’s got 360hp and 0-60 in 6.5sec. Why were they putting a hemi in the GC more than a decade ago and just now doing it for the Wrangler? We were the one’s crying for that decades ago when XJ’s were still cool.

Why can’t they go back to the way they listened when they came out with the Rubicon in 2003 and added lockers and the 4:1 TCase? I know…they’re shutting down trails. Just buy the Tesla Stainless Steel Overland POS. Why can’t they make them simpler since wrangler people in this market like to modify, and not just bolt on junk. They are probably in bed with Rough Country and Shittybilt. Of course, there’s soccer mom’s and a big market of people who want to mall crawl, so I get that it’s about money, but Jeep has NOT been making money. It’s considered a crap vehicle these days. Only thing it has going for it is it’s different.

Why does it have to get BIGGER? Is this another mall crawl thing or EPA? What about being nimble on trails? I don’t need bigger. I need the right size. I don’t need heavier. I need performance. Rant over.

I feel in agreement with you on a lot of these, but I will try to play devil’s advocate here. My understanding might be flawed so feel free to correct.

A body on frame is essential to any truly “off-road vehicle” because it allows the flex between the body and frame. The fact they’ve kept that feature means this is supposed to be an “off-road vehicle.”
It’s not “supposed”, it is a GREAT offroad vehicle. The most capable one available in the US.

Here’s where I get confused. Jeep owners asked for a V-8 and Diesel options for decades without seeing one. Now they come out with an V-8 and it’s $120,000. Whatever. I guess I’ll do it myself.
More like $100k, not that that’s any less crazy.

And yet people are buying them. I would bet these 392s will hold their value very well long term.

Can they make a Jeep that doesn’t ride like a brick? SWB is no excuse. They now make 4-door versions and they still ride like bricks. I don’t remember Jeep owners saying, “Can you make it ride like shit?” But they do a great job making them ride like shit. I don’t like that shit. I know it can be done because people on here do it.
What year/models have you driven? My mom’s stock ‘24 4XE Sahara drives AMAZING, better than some German sedans I’ve driven.

I am skeptical on the importance of factory installed high-end shocks on all JLs, for the same reasons we don’t see factory oneton axles. But that’s a topic for another discussion.

Where is some actual badass stuff? My GC Overland has air suspension. I just touch a button and it raises the suspension 1.1”. I hit it again and it raises it another 1.1” When I get on the highway it drops the suspension for what they call aero mode. It’s got 360hp and 0-60 in 6.5sec. Why were they putting a hemi in the GC more than a decade ago and just now doing it for the Wrangler? We were the one’s crying for that decades ago when XJ’s were still cool.
IMO, an airbag-only suspension doesn’t belong on an offroad vehicle. But for street only use, I don’t see why not. I know Jeep had a concept JL with airbags a year ago, not sure if that has moved forward at all.

On the Hemi, I think government regulations must be a part of Jeep not bringing it out earlier.

Had the Bronco not come out, we might’ve never seen a V8 Wrangler.

Why can’t they go back to the way they listened when they came out with the Rubicon in 2003 and added lockers and the 4:1 TCase?

I wish they did this too, like how Ford does it with the Bronco. You can add the Sasquatch package to a lower trim, and that gets you lockers, gears, lift, beadlocks and more.

They did just add a rear locker to the Willys model? So at least they’re heading in the right direction somewhat.

I know…they’re shutting down trails. Just buy the Tesla Stainless Steel Overland POS. Why can’t they make them simpler since wrangler people in this market like to modify, and not just bolt on junk. They are probably in bed with Rough Country and Shittybilt.

I get that it’s about money, but Jeep has NOT been making money.
Where did you get that? Yes sales have slowed, but Jeep was Stellantis’s most succesful brand up until very recently.

Why does it have to get BIGGER? Is this another mall crawl thing or EPA? What about being nimble on trails? I don’t need bigger. I need the right size. I don’t need heavier.
Again, regulations.

Crash safety regulations make it impossible to sell a TJ-like vehicle in today’s day and age.

Also, emissions standards. Bigger vehicle means less stringent emissions rules to follow.

I need performance. Rant over.

Are we talking offroad performance? If so, a JL would absolutely destroy a TJ offroad for a variety of reasons, size notwithstanding.

I’m no fan of the nanny tech and environmental BS either, so forget that…
Now they come out with an V-8 and it’s $120,000. Whatever. I guess I’ll do it myself.
Can they make a Jeep that doesn’t ride like a brick?
Where is some actual badass stuff?
Why can’t they make them simpler since wrangler people in this market like to modify, and not just bolt on.
Why does it have to get BIGGER?
What about being nimble on trails?

You did say to not comport, but thus could be a good summary for why we don’t see a better Wrangler.

- Enthusiasts want to see a V8, yet for the Jeep to be light and nimble.

- They want badass features yet yearn for supposed simplicity.

- They desire better suspension and axles, and all the aforementioned items, yet for lower prices.

To sum up, I think we as car enthusiasts often have a cognitive dissonance with the corporate folks.

We desire the impossible. Meanwhile they have to deal with ever increasing government regulations, which outweighs satisfying the needs of a niche group.

I am just happy we have the Wrangler in it’s current form (frame, solid axles, lockers etc), however flawed it may be. Perhaps we will see improvements due to healthy competition from the Bronco and Grenadier.

If one were to really dream, we would rid ourselves of all the regulations and allow the import of simpler vehicles like the Toyota 70 series, UAZ Hunter and etc.

Reactions: 02GreenTJ
IMO, an airbag-only suspension doesn’t belong on an offroad vehicle. But for street only use, I don’t see why not. I know Jeep had a concept JL with airbags a year ago, not sure if that has moved forward at all.

Why? Who's thread are you discussing this in? What is my suspension? Have any idea how many AiRock kits are out there? How many get driven off-road?

The whole Jeep should have put a V-8 into a Wrangler has been talked about for why longer than you've been around. The Magnum could have been in YJ's & TJ's way before the Hemi came out.

View attachment 534310

Did you remove this bolt (hole circled in red)?

Can't tell if it's shadow but it looks like the block hole and mount hole don't line up. Caught my eye so figured better to ask... ;)

—-

Excited to follow along with another engine teardown and re-build by you. It's always enjoyable to journey along with you and your knowledge.

BTW - I noticed that catch tray earlier in your build and will pick one up if I need to work on the engine stand again. Just one of those - 'that just makes sense' tools...

I'd mentioned that the catch tray I currently have wasn't designed for my engine stand. I have one of the geared engine stands as I don't like the regular ones with only 5-6 positions to set the engine at. When I bought my stand there wasn't a catch tray that I could find offered for it. But today as I was ordering some other items for my cam install I happened to come across this:

https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-8300DP-Geared-Engine-Stand/dp/B0002SR3DM/?tag=wranglerorg-20

So @FarFire70 or anyone else who might be looking here's one for these types of engine stands.

Why? Who's thread are you discussing this in? What is my suspension? Have any idea how many AiRock kits are out there? How many get driven off-road?
I knew you’d get pissy about this. I just don’t trust them. I’ve seen them fail in a Land Rover at speed due to low temps. And even Toyota couldn’t get airbags right on the Land Cruiser.

Adding airbags inside coils for towing? Sure. But relying solely on airbags isn’t for me, and that’s an opinion.

The whole Jeep should have put a V-8 into a Wrangler has been talked about for why longer than you've been around. The Magnum could have been in YJ's & TJ's way before the Hemi came out.

I don’t see your point here. Why do you think they didn’t put a V8 into the YJ, TJ or JK?

I knew you’d get pissy about this. I just don’t trust them. I’ve seen them fail in a Land Rover at speed due to low temps. And even Toyota couldn’t get airbags right on the Land Cruiser.

Adding airbags inside coils for towing? Sure. But relying solely on airbags isn’t for me, and that’s an opinion.

I don’t see your point here. Why do you think they didn’t put a V8 into the YJ, TJ or JK?

I'm not getting pissy about it just pointing out that I've been running them and only due to my fault was the only time I've had a failure.
You do realize most semis have air bag suspension on them? That's what the air springs on mine are.

My point about the V-8 was that Jeep could have done one in the YJ/TJ/JK with no issues.
CJ's used to be offered with a V-8.
I'm sure the reason they didn't was either bean counters or EPA reasons?

Reactions: reddvltj
Practiced on my old transmission pan first and got the settings where I wanted.
Drilled 2 holes and used some old bolts. Cleaned off the paint for the ground also.

20240619_075219.jpg

Then I figured out where on the transmission pan I wanted the temperature bung and drilled the hole. Made it just large enough for the bung to sit in it.

20240619_081804.jpg

Fired up the welder and burned it in.

20240619_081807.jpg

20240619_081811.jpg

20240619_082917.jpg

20240619_082921.jpg

Grabbed some flat Black paint and painted the pan.

20240619_083605.jpg

Didn't forget the inside either.

20240619_083616.jpg

Will have to wait to see if it leaks.