Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

Yep. I used to be able to drop into 3rd and smoke the tires at 60 mph. It's a wonder I ever survived without today's modern safety features!

That Super Sport I could power brake it and lift the front off the ground 3-4" and I don't know how many rear tires I went thru. Bought it for $500 from some lady who couldn't get it started. The starter relay was COOKED by the headers.

My 64 Chev pickup I had came with a 283 in it but I swapped it out for a 350 w/ dual quad intake from a Vette. Of course I was young and I didn't build the drivetrain to handle it. Transmission & then the passenger control arm on the rear axle.

Reactions: motomick76 and Irun
Well DING DANG and Dab Nab it anyhow. I was doing good on parts arriving SOON but the part I need yesterday won't be here until Wednesday.
All for a stupid woodruff key....
Why can't you run to the hardware store and just buy a woodruf key? They are all pretty standard...I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't think that they would design anything special for a Mopar that falls outside the standards...

Why can't you run to the hardware store and just buy a woodruf key? They are all pretty standard...I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't think that they would design anything special for a Mopar that falls outside the standards...

Believe it or not I can't get one this size. It is a size that NO ONE seems to have. And Chrysler no longer sells them either.
I can get it online and that isn't a issue other than it's taking a darn long time getting here.

It is a 3/16 x .650 and I guess isn't a common size. I even called the machine shop who did all my work on my block and they don't have any in stock. And looking thru woodruff key kits don't have that size in any of the ones I looked at. It will be here Wednesday so at this point it isn't a huge deal just means I have to wait longer. I'd ordered it along with some other parts but it didn't get shipped until Wednesday.

EDIT: The closest ones I can find are a 3/16 x 5/8 which is a 3/16 x .612.
Why MOPAR made these some special size is beyond me.

Last edited:
Is there a flat spot on the bottom of the shaft were the woodruff key goes, or is it a smooth radii? The reason I ask, is I remember making custom woodruffs by grinding a flat on the bottom of the curve, if you have a flat, then it is probably a .750" with a 100 thou ground off (milled, sanded, ground, whatever it takes to get to .650")

remember mr. mom, 220 or 221 what ever it takes. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman
Is there a flat spot on the bottom of the shaft were the woodruff key goes, or is it a smooth radii? The reason I ask, is I remember making custom woodruffs by grinding a flat on the bottom of the curve, if you have a flat, then it is probably a .750" with a 100 thou ground off (milled, sanded, ground, whatever it takes to get to .650")

remember mr. mom, 220 or 221 what ever it takes. LOL

No I don't think it has a flat spot on it. At least the pictures I've seen of the one that is suppose to fit they didn't have a flat spot.
I think I remember when looking for the key for mine seeing there were special ones for LS and Hemi engines too.

I'd thought I'd found a kit that fit and was excited about it but come to find out it only fits the LA series and not the Magnum series.
Some of the parts in that kit would work on my engine but not the woodruff key for the cam. They call it a engine finishing kit.

Reactions: WSS
DAMN now I really feel DUMB..... Which I'm sure some folks here would say I am... :po_O:cautious:

So yes it does have a flat spot. I think I confused it with the one for the LA engines?? Or I'm just a total dumbass....

Here is a good picture of what it looks like from different angles.

1610230901134.png

Yep that's what happened. Here is the Finishing Kit that they CLAIM will fit but only works on LA series of engines and not Magnum series of engines.

1610231574313.png

DAMN....

PSC box got here but the new ORO SwayLoc is delayed 1-2 days due to weather. Of course they'll come up with other reasons to take longer I'm sure.

20210111_135409.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting
That looks amazing!

Thanks. I've always liked it in black when they released it. And when the cap for my old reservoir got lost it gave me a reason to finally buy this. And with the black hose kit & fittings I think it'll look nice. I'd also gotten a black hose & fitting kit this summer that I was going to build new lines with anyhow so it'll all got together nice I hope.

Thanks. I've always liked it in black when they released it. And when the cap for my old reservoir got lost it gave me a reason to finally buy this. And with the black hose kit & fittings I think it'll look nice. I'd also gotten a black hose & fitting kit this summer that I was going to build new lines with anyhow so it'll all got together nice I hope.
Do you use their ram?

Well the woodruff key I need has finally got here. So tomorrow I can get back to working on the engine.

This is the woodruff key top that was said to fit and the actual one below.

20210112_162257.jpg

And then the key I need on top of the one that was said to fit.

20210112_162340.jpg

Reactions: Alex01
Either version looks great I just like the black more. And the new reservoir is larger which can't hurt since I have hydro boost also.
I thought about the hydro boost, but haven't committed yet. I have the cylinder assist, but haven't installed it. So far, the PSC steering box and pump have dramatically changed my view on the cylinder assist. It works amazingly well on the rocks, without the cylinder assist!

Reactions: Wildman
I did all that when I built the rig the first time. I knew I was going to be running 35" and larger tires so I wanted that extra stopping power and the hydro assist for turning in the rocks. And with the bigger tires I really did like having both.

I've had my power steering pump rebuilt and then the steering box. The ram I had they didn't offer any longer so it's new so it's going to be like bolting a whole new system on.

Reactions: Irun
I got me some new toys to play with.... UPS didn't get here until about 8:40 tonight.

20210112_212345.jpg

Anybody want to guess what it is??