Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

Well spent some time with the media cabinet today and got MOST of the paint off. I can tell you this much. That VHT paint is a PITA to get to come off where as the Duplicolor paint just flaked off. My fault for not reading the can better since it said was only good to 500* and only for short durations.

So my guess is trying to bake the Duplicolor to 550* like the VHT paint wasn't a good idea. So I'll pickup some paint while I am in town tomorrow getting my engine.

20200705_143825.jpg

20200705_143834.jpg

How hot does an exhaust manifold get?

I have no idea. While this paint seems nice I am still wondering about getting the headers and Y-pipe ceramic coated to try and help with underhood temps a little. Mine was also toasty. I know on my Harley I've seen it be over 250*.

Exhaust system temperatures. While the average temperature for the exhaust is 300 to 500 degrees, you still can experience temperatures as high as 1200 whenever there is a constriction in the exhaust system. You should be on the lookout for bends on the exhaust pipe. Oct 14 2019
Reference: mechanicbase.com/engine/how-hot-does-an-exhaust-pipe-get/

Reactions: JMT
I don't know how accurate this information is but it sure sounds good. Their shop is over in Auburn so I think I am going to go visit them once I have my Y-pipe built.

https://www.performancecoatings.com/

Read More About How Our Services Can Benefit You
Header Temperature Testing Data
Examine the following table and look at the amount of temperature drop that the coated header shows! Header wraps provide a similar drop in temperature but do not provide the internal corrosion resistance that our ceramic coatings provide. Exhaust gases are extremely corrosive and have a tendency to deteriorate headers from the inside out. By coating both internal as well as external surfaces, Performance Coatings not only reduces temperatures but also maximizes corrosion resistance.
12692455-640w.jpg

It has been determined that engine efficiency improves by 1% for every 10-degree drop in under-hood temperature.

If we were to use the above data, we could reasonably assume that we would obtain a 50 horsepower increase on a 500 horsepower engine.

I don't know how accurate this information is but it sure sounds good. Their shop is over in Auburn so I think I am going to go visit them once I have my Y-pipe built.

https://www.performancecoatings.com/

Read More About How Our Services Can Benefit You
Header Temperature Testing Data
Examine the following table and look at the amount of temperature drop that the coated header shows! Header wraps provide a similar drop in temperature but do not provide the internal corrosion resistance that our ceramic coatings provide. Exhaust gases are extremely corrosive and have a tendency to deteriorate headers from the inside out. By coating both internal as well as external surfaces, Performance Coatings not only reduces temperatures but also maximizes corrosion resistance.
View attachment 175016
It has been determined that engine efficiency improves by 1% for every 10-degree drop in under-hood temperature.

If we were to use the above data, we could reasonably assume that we would obtain a 50 horsepower increase on a 500 horsepower engine.

Years ago I lost the ability to cook a burrito on my intake manifold after the Windstar intake and hood louvers went in. I had no idea I had increased the engine efficiency!

Years ago I lost the ability to cook a burrito on my intake manifold after the Windstar intake and hood louvers went in. I had no idea I had increased the engine efficiency!

Yes you did. Lower the intake temps is the whole point for a Cold Air Intake. It isn't like this is new tech or anything.
I don't know what my headers temp was before but it was WARM under my hood. If I can lower those temps even by 50* I'll consider it a win. I had a lot of plastic parts that got brittle because of the heat.

20200702_130434.jpg

20200702_130444.jpg

Parts like this.

So stock heads have a 1.92" intake and 1.60" exhaust valve. These monster heads have a 2.02" intake valve and stock sized exhaust valve. Interesting things about the magnum V-8 is that it doesn't like the larger intake valve size unless you bump the compression. I'm going to be running Keith Black Hypereutectic pistons with a 10:1 compression.

Reactions: JMT
Okay NOT my engine but here is a similar build of a 408 getting run up on the engine dyno.

1594088851648.png

Made 446HP and 481TQ

Specs on the engine:
408 9.4 compression
F&B 58mm throttle body
Hughes FI intake
Ford Racing 39lb injectors
Engine Quest heads 2.02/1.60 Ferra valves
PAC beehive springs
Comp chromoly full roller rockers
Ford hardened push rods
.220/.220 550/550 112LSA Comp custom roller cam
Scat forged rods
Scat forged 4.00 stroke crankshaft
Icon 4030 forged pistons (zero decked)
ProSport harmonic balancer (internal)
Hipotek 30% reduction steel billet pulley
High volume oil pump
Flowtech ceramic coated headers
High flow cat
SCT tuner (FlynRyan)
Edge 2400-2600 billet torque converter

Reactions: Alex01
Speaking of heads. I mean, crack heads 😁
Here’s your crack on #2. Exhaust valve is pointing right at it.
So now you know why it was overheating. 🔥
I don’t see other cracks. But I’ll see more once I get a spring compressor.
Otherwise Just a lot carbon build up. Probably from the overheating.

F751E85D-9B6E-4509-867F-34B8B5A5E643.jpeg

B55C1D42-9A0A-4587-A0D6-062FAB4BF8E4.png

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Wildman
Speaking of heads. I mean, crack heads 😁
Here’s your crack on #2. Exhaust valve is pointing right at it.
So now you know why it was overheating. 🔥

View attachment 175159

View attachment 175158

WOWOW.......
It is nice to be right once in a while. As I recommended before get EQ heads. Do not get the monster heads as the 5.2 will fall flat on it's face with the bigger valve.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=143380393122

Do a little more checking before you buy anything. According to this thread the EQ heads I have are no longer made. So I'd do some research and see what others are recommending as replacement heads.

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/cracked-magnum-heads.466636/
I don't know how much you are wanting to spend on this engine but this guy in Calif is a Mopar engine builder and sells heads.
http://www.immengines.com/indyimmironheads.html
There also use to be a few other companies who were making heads for the 5.2/5.9 I thing one was RHS.

Again I don't know if these are available anymore either but here is another company that use to make heads.

https://www.indyheads.com/images/maxlaxnewproductlinK.pdf

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.