Will 31s fit without rubbing?

Joshuarbelcher

So my dad gave me his 1998 TJ. I am looking at getting some bigger tires with new wheels. I want to make sure I don’t go to big yet I may lift it later but not anytime soon. My question is will 31s fit without rubbing? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

They will fit, but they will require additional bump stop to keep them from rubbing / bottoming out under full articulation.

Reactions: jjvw
Depending on the width and backspacing of the wheels you get in the future, you may have to add a washer or two to the steering stops to keep them from rubbing at full turn.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-adjust-the-steering-stops-on-your-tj.3230/

I put 31x10.50-15 tires on 15x8 wheels with 3.75 inch backspacing on my LJ last year before I added my lift. I had some rubbing on front and rear flares in certain situations. The rears would rub the bottom edge of the flare just driving over some irregular dips in the road on paved roads. The kind that feel kind of like rhythmic bouncy as you driving over them. I only had them on 4 or 5 months before installing my lift. Didn't do much off-roading during that time other than riding on the beach a few days.