Will TJs ever reach classic status?

Vernin1984

I’ve been curious if TJs will ever reach classic status and I wonder if future generations will look upon the TJ as people look upon the CJs now I’m genuinely curious what you guys think

Yes, at 25 years of age they can be registered as a “classic car” in most states. In fact the 97 TJ is already there.

Keep in mind that classic doesn’t necessarily mean valuable. I will say though that I think the TJ is already a classic.

I will say though that I think the TJ is already a classic.
It is definitely very iconic. Wranglers in general definitely are but TJs especially just seem to be something that even someone who knows nothing about cars will recognize. Mines gotten complimented by quite a few people who aren't Jeep people or even car people. There's just something about them that's so perfectly late 90s/early 2000s.

Yes, at 25 years of age they can be registered as a “classic car” in most states. In fact the 97 TJ is already there.

Keep in mind that classic doesn’t necessarily mean valuable. I will say though that I think the TJ is already a classic.

Have you seen some of stuff running Historic Plates in AZ? '97 and older now can run them. A '97 Mazda 626 is not an Historic vehicle. (n)

Have you seen some of stuff running Historic Plates in AZ? '97 and older now can run them. A '97 Mazda 626 is not an Historic vehicle.
The only one we can get like that in Colorado is somewhat more restrictive.
"Vehicles must be (a) Model year 1975 or earlier; or(b) Model year 1976 or later that was registered as a collector's item prior to September 1, 2009; except that a vehicle so registered is not eligible for registration as a collector's item upon sale or transfer to a new owner; OR (c) A model year at least thirty-two years old unless the vehicle was registered before September 1,2009, and meets the requirements of paragraph (b) of this subsection (2). if the vehicle is being registered under this paragraph (c) and in the program area, as defined in section 42-4-304: (i) The vehicle must have passed an emissions test meeting the standards of part 3 of article 4 of this title within the last twelve months before being initially registered by the owner as a collector's item; and (ii) The owner must sign an affidavit DR 2839 that the vehicle will not be driven on roadways for more than four thousand five hundred miles per year."

I’ve been curious if TJs will ever reach classic status ...
In the same vein as 60's muscle cars? No.
... and I wonder if future generations will look upon the TJ as people look upon the CJs now I’m genuinely curious what you guys think
Future generations will look upon the TJ the way we look on the Model T.

Last edited:
Reactions: DCL and MikeE024
I’ve been curious if TJs will ever reach classic status and I wonder if future generations will look upon the TJ as people look upon the CJs now .

They already do and they're considered dinosaurs. I'm in that category too.
p.s. Dinosaur is more manly than Transasaur with the current state of political correctness.

Reactions: RangerTJ and B252
In 50+ years of car/truck/motorcycle/RV "acquisitions", including 4 TJ's and a YJ, I'd call the TJ "iconic" rather than "classic" - the latter being a term that's been watered down to where it's questionable where and when to even apply it to a vehicle anymore. I already feel that the TJ is a "best of all worlds" vehicle; to wit:
- They made close to 1MM of them, so spare parts will be available forever...
- They are JUST easy enough to work on with respect to most of the vehicle being "bolted together", being a body-on-frame construction, and with a HUGE aftermarket of parts...
- They CAN be configured (read: left alone!) to be a reasonable "daily driver" by a judicious application of self-restraint with respect to modest tire/wheel/suspension mods. Mine rides quite comfortably considering its short wheelbase. Full doors/half doors, soft top/hardtop/no top - the possibilities on any given day of "how you want to leave the house" are almost as limitless as your wardrobe (potential veils aside)...
- While they are holding their value/going up in value, IMHO they will never reach the point where you might NOT want to drive yours because of the value having gotten TOO high. I sold my '67 Corvette Coupe a few years ago for JUST that reason - every time I parked it anywhere I couldn't relax for worrying about the attention that it attracted. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was when I parked it at a Home Depot - when I came out there was some jackass sitting behind the wheel (I never locked it, since door locks on older vehicles are invitations for broken vent windows) enjoying a "nostalgia trip" - WTF?! I guess that falls into the "better to ask forgiveness than request permission"...

• Wow
Reactions: sideproject
My 2002 is insured by Hagerty as a "classic car".
Annual fixed value policy that costs the same as one month of Allstate.

Reactions: sideproject
joe TJ.jpg

I guess it just depends on what you mean by that. By insurance standards they are already at that point of "historic" tags in some states. My rubicon went from regular insurance to Hagerty this past year as they deemed it more valuable. As far as "classic" to me that would mean that its apart of the generation i grew up in. So, yes the 80-90s vehicles and memorabilia is hot right now because people that grew up in the era can now afford to buy what they had or wanted when they were a kid. When I got my drivers license I drove a 87 YJ that my dad and I restored leading up to driving (2001) A bunch of my friends had or drove Tj's in highschool and college, so it was always something I wanted to buy at that time. I now have two of them along with a bunch of other cars/trucks/motorcycles that were "iconic" to me growing up.

- They made close to 1MM of them, so spare parts will be available forever...

I wouldn't bank on that. I think a better statement is spare parts, especially OEM/NOS, will be available for a little while. Just look at how many parts are already unavailable for a TJ.

Reactions: StG58 and HDRider
My 11yo getting into my 04 Sahara for the first time made me feel like it was a classic. He was very fascinated with the manual windows, thought that was the coolest thing ever. No power locks, etc. I'm hoping that either my 14yo or 11yo will want it when they turn 16. Not sure they'll have much of a choice though.

I do think the reliability of the 4.0 will make them more sought after in the next decade or more though. Many are lasting over 200 - 300K miles. One of the main reasons I bought the 04 with 67K miles on it. I figure it has at least 100K to go. Plus with new car prices getting so ridiculous, I might have to just buy a 3rd TJ for the kids and keep the 04 for DD use.

Reactions: CV04TJR and PNW_LJ
It's the only vehicle I've owned that is increasing in value. That's a sign of something.

Maybe inflation.

Reactions: LONGJP2
Check allowable miles before registering for 'antique' plates.

"A car is considered a classic in Illinois if it's at least 25 years old and has been unaltered from the original manufacturer's specifications. When a vehicle in Illinois meets these requirements, the owner can register it as an antique vehicle, which will limit the car’s use. Specifically, classic cars in Illinois can only be used for antique auto shows, exhibitions, servicing, and demonstration."

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: RINC and BlueC