Winch drum lateral movement?

Jp'n Jess

Supporting Member
I recently bought a used Warn xd9000i. I took it all apart to paint and inspect all the internals. After I got it back together I noticed some lateral movement in the winch drum. It moves side to side about an 1/8 of an inch. Is this normal? I don’t remember if it had that much play before I disassembled it.

I recently bought a used Warn xd9000i. I took it all apart to paint and inspect all the internals. After I got it back together I noticed some lateral movement in the winch drum. It moves side to side about an 1/8 of an inch. Is this normal? I don’t remember if it had that much play before I disassembled it.
1/8 inch is ok after assembling on the bench just check it again after it is mounted and I bet it tightens up a touch. One thing on the I series winches I do is to source out 2.25 inch long bolts (Warn PN 79706) for the six frame bolts and actually tap the extrusions for a better hold.

Reactions: Jp'n Jess
1/8 inch is ok after assembling on the bench just check it again after it is mounted and I bet it tightens up a touch. One thing on the I series winches I do is to source out 2.25 inch long bolts (Warn PN 79706) for the six frame bolts and actually tap the extrusions for a better hold.
Good idea. One of mine is stripped already.

Good idea. One of mine is stripped already.
McMaster has a very reasonable equivalent if the Warn are too costly.
Part number 91274A140 is 10-24 x 2.25" long Alloy steel coated with zinc aluminum.

1622467001753.png

You were right. It tightened up a bit after I mounted it to the winch plate. Thanks for the help. (y)

Reactions: Blackjack