Warn XD9000i

Has anyone ever used winchserviceparts (WSP) out of Redding CA? They have good pricing on parts but I can't get through to them. Their website let's you load up parts, but errors out after trying to buy.

Or is there a better Warn dealer to use?

Covid has companies in distress mode. I have had to learn the patience thing. It sucks. Amazon may have your parts or some of them.

Let your parts dry and harden too. Give it a few days before handling.

I tried to order online by credit card and the site wouldn't finish. I sent an email Friday, and called today.

It makes me think I'll go somewhere else if it's this hard to buy something there.

Good prices though.

Two days of drying. I lightly sanded the pieces. The rest had some minor thin spots so I put another coat on. These pieces were good so I put the first coat of black on. Which grey should I go with?

The darker gray is generic Rustoleum. The lighter gray color is Krylon acrylic enamel like the black.

Or I could go all black.

I'm going to wait a day, lightly sand, and repeat the process for three coats. Then 2 clear.

16177564229049013704976150410387.jpg
16177565086294195100419526363517.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
My vote is the darker gray. Looking great. How much are you going to charge yourself on the labor?? An expert paint job ain't cheap.

I'm going to go look for a darker gray enamel machinery paint. I'm planning 2 tone with the motor and gear housing black and the rest dark gray, including the motor cooling fins.

I tried my hardest but can't get the last gear housing ring off, so I'll mask it off to paint instead. Easier than pry bar pounding and scraping gaskets.

I had to move everything this morning and got my first paint chip after I dropped something on a piece. Luckily, I'm in paint mode. But it reminded me to not spend too much time on it because it's meant to be used.

Reactions: WSS
I pounded on it quite a while with my mallet on different points and angles and nothing. I may try again today. It's raining so not good paint weather. The humidity will be too high.

If I get it apart, it will probably leak at the new gasket. Murphy sucks. I'm planning on a small amount of black RTV to final seal those areas after reassembly. The gaskets leave a gap.

No response from WSP after almost a week so I'm finding a new place to order parts. If I had any issue I doubt I'd get a resolution since I can't even get them to take my money.

• Face Palm
Reactions: lowranger and WSS
I went to Montana Jack's Outpost for parts. They had all the parts and some others and they sent me a confirmation already. Their prices are higher but they built in shipping so in the end it wasn't a significant difference.

I bought another gasket and will try to get the last pieces apart.

Thunder and rain today so no painting in 100% humidity. I'll let it all set longer to make sure everything dries before a second coat.

I found a charcoal gray I like so I'm going to use that one.

Last edited:
I'm ordering synthetic cable. The winch came with 125 ft of cable. I'm assuming I can only get 100 ft of 3/8 synthetic back on due to the size difference.

Or should I spring for the extra 25 ft? I could always cut of some and make my own soft shackles and recovery extensions.

I put a 100' on mine. It did fill it up. I may have been able to fit 110'. Then you could have a bunch of soft shackles or a 15' extension.

Reactions: InOmaha
I'll just go with 100 ft, a safety thimble and the fairlead to hold the thimble.

Last edited:
It finally stopped raining here, so I can paint again....maybe. I'm booked tomorrow but I may get up early and paint some before I have to leave.

50% RH today so I sanded, cleaned with mineral spirits soaked rags, mowed my stupid yard because it's been raining forever and a section was 8 to 10 inches tall, and painted.

Final colors.

20210409_182934.jpg20210409_182941.jpg

I got pounding with the mallet and got the other piece off.

It's damp so I'll dry until Sunday. One last coat, then clear before the next round of storms.

All the parts will be in after I get back from a work trip, then reassembly and installation.

It finally stopped raining here, so I can paint again....maybe. I'm booked tomorrow but I may get up early and paint some before I have to leave.
As a kid, I would fly into Omaha and drive to Lincoln to visit my grandparents for a month or so. Did that three times. Lots of fun. No rain though that I remember. Is it normal for that much rain in the spring?

I think we get around 30-40 inches a year. It's not uncommon to get 6 inches in a storm. Sometimes it will drizzle for days this time of year.

• Wow
Paint scheme. I'll touch up around the label with a fine brush or clear it all to keep junk and salt out behind there. Maybe a tiny bit of black RTV on the top edge. Leave the bottom to breathe.

16184476434468624407032752314200.jpg

Last edited:
My package from TRE is out for delivery. I officially need a life, because I'm tracking parts online.