Wind noise and buffeting

jeepndogs

TJ Enthusiast
I know it’s a Jeep, but in the last few months my tinnitus has gotten the best of me. The two things I have always used for stress relief was taking a spin on my bike or getting out for the day in the Jeep. I truly think my bike days are over unfortunately. I have managed to drive the Jeep twice over the last month or so. I have been wearing earplugs but after the drive on Saturday I have been paying for it, the ringing in my ears that I didn’t think could possibly get any louder has. I already swapped out the MT’s for Ko2’s. That made a significant difference, the buffeting is what is my main issue now. Driving with the soft top and windows In is impossible. Anyone else have issues with the wind noise and anything you have done to make it more tolerable?

Pick up a set or Walker Electronic ear muffs that deaden exterior sound while still allowing you to hear and listen to whatever through a audio input. We use them and you can even add a voice activated mic if you get the correct model.

Reactions: jeepndogs
I need to look into the laws, I don’t it would be legal to wear those on the road. Hell I was telling my wife I would wear a leather aviator hat and a red scarf if it would help! Lol.

Full or half doors?
Soft top?

Full doors will make a difference. I put pipe insulation (vertically stacked, in rows) in my half doors, to help.

Somewhere, here on the forum, is a thread about quieting down your jeep.

Full doors, soft top, I have already did the dynamat on the interior. That actually made it worse with the tinnitus, it changed the frequency of the exhaust to a tone that absolutely killed my ears.

Pick up a set or Walker Electronic ear muffs that deaden exterior sound while still allowing you to hear and listen to whatever through a audio input. We use them and you can even add a voice activated mic if you get the correct model.

... I was telling my wife I would wear a leather aviator hat and a red scarf if it would help! Lol.

I wonder if anyone makes electronic ear buds that work like the Walker Electronic ear muffs. If they do they would fit under that hat and scarf.

If you are having exhaust drone, have your muffler shop weld in a resonator after the muffler, something like a glass pack. I have tinitus , I only run a hard top and I use the radio to drown out some of the rining of the ears.

If you are having exhaust drone, have your muffler shop weld in a resonator after the muffler, something like a glass pack. I have tinitus , I only run a hard top and I use the radio to drown out some of the rining of the ears.

I’m leaning towards a hard top. Do you run with the top and doors off or no? I did this weekend wearing ear plugs but I don’t think the ear plugs quieted it down enough.

My buddy has Bestop's Twill top after he backed into his hard top and trashed it. He says it's almost as quiet as having the hard top on. They are pricey though.

I pull the top and doors for part of the summer, but you are going the wrong way, plugs will exacerbate the problem, you need to mask the noise with something else to listen to which takes your mind off the ringing. We’re you in the military?

I’m leaning towards a hard top. Do you run with the top and doors off or no? I did this weekend wearing ear plugs but I don’t think the ear plugs quieted it down enough.
You might look into some high quality earplugs that fit well. You shouldn't have an issue with good plugs, at least in CA there is a specific exception for plugs worn for hearing protection. Getting some good ones is certainly a lot easier than putting on a hard top.

I wear earbuds but only loud enough to drown out some noise but still hear traffic. Sounds shady but it works, and there are no laws in TN about it.

Making it quiet will make the ringing LOUDER in your head, I got 8 hours of Tinitus training from the va because I also have it. Let me repeat myself, you need to mask the ringing with other sounds, I sleep with a machine that makes white noise like birds chirping, rain, stream flowing, it really helps me get to sleep. I have the training booklet i could make a copy of if you would actually look at it.

Reactions: jeepndogs
I pull the top and doors for part of the summer, but you are going the wrong way, plugs will exacerbate the problem, you need to mask the noise with something else to listen to which takes your mind off the ringing. We’re you in the military?

No, never in the military. 30 years doing collision work and fab work. A lot of hammering and high speed grinding. Also spent the last year doing a lot of training and certifications on Pulse Spray arc aluminum Mig welding. It has a pretty high pitch to it and I should have been wearing ear Protection but needless to say I wasn’t. I certified well over 300 guys last year and spent on average 8-10 hours a day in front of a welder. Live and learn I guess.

They also gave me a hearing aide to help balance my tinitus and hearing loss, I only got it for one ear. It odd but works. It’s in the ear that rings the loudest, the hearing adr moves the ringing to the center of my head instead of just the left side.

Making it quiet will make the ringing LOUDER in your head, I got 8 hours of Tinitus training from the va because I also have it. Let me repeat myself, you need to mask the ringing with other sounds, I sleep with a machine that makes white noise like birds chirping, rain, stream flowing, it really helps me get to sleep. I have the training booklet i could make a copy of if you would actually look at it.

I would appreciate that very much. This all somewhat came out of the blue about 8 weeks ago. All of a sudden I had a tea kettle going off in my head and no way to shut it up.

They say I have a 50db hearing loss in both ears from 4K above. The ENT I went to felt that hearing aids wouldn’t do much for me. I have an appointment to se an audiologists they specializes in tinnitus in two weeks. Trying to keep myself from losing it between now and then is easier said than done.