Window Shopping for Ramp Trucks or Roll Backs

How much do you really need? The typical TJ 35s is around 4k.

Add gear & food and tools and you're looking at 6K pretty fast. And many guys are shocked at what their rigs weigh too. I'd figure 4500lbs to be on the safe side. Add two people who weigh 250 lbs as they count against your payload too. Believe me I've been down this road more than once. It's amazing how fast it adds up. Minimum a 4500/450 but if I was buying again I'd find a 5500. There are ways to make them ride OK unloaded.

Reactions: Wildman and PNW_LJ
What I understand, a cab/chassis has a higher GVWR than a one with a truck bed.

I just check the current models for fun. On the Ram website the current 3500 chassis cab has a payload up to 6800. The 4500 jumps to 8520 and the 5500 takes it all the way to 11450. That's all with a single cab and base trim. Obviously adding a crew cab, longer frame, or interior trim will subtract slightly from those numbers and then the weight of your flat bed (1000lbs? maybe, I don't know?) comes out of that as well.

The 3500 numbers surprised me a bit for the newest models but I guess not really. The towing numbers on these new trucks are insane though! Nearly 26000lbs on the 3500 chassis cab and nearly 35000 on the 5500.

I had the 04 Duramax and it had the injector problems. Other than that, it was a great truck. The 07 Duramax certainly has become the holy grail of trucks though. But $26,000 ? Damn

They carry a premium price tag. Look at prices of 1st gen Cummins powered Dodge trucks. Crazy stupid prices.

Here ya go. Haul your Jeep plus 1 or two more

1711997000794.png

Do you get an RV exemption for that since it has to be over 26,000 lbs?

Depends on your state but if you title it as a RV then you aren't required have a CDL. Some stated do require you to have a non-commercial Class A license though. Something applies to of the larger Class A diesel pusher motorhomes.
The main thing to remember is a CDL (commercial drivers license) is required if you are driving to make money.

"Not For Hire"

My understanding is that if it's a truck with a gooseneck trailer that has a GCVWR over 26,000 lbs even if I put "Not for hire" on the side I still am required to have CDL even though it's non-commercial. I have to keep my gooseneck GVWR under 14,500. If it's not an RV.

My understanding is that if it's a truck with a gooseneck trailer that has a GCVWR over 26,000 lbs even if I put "Not for hire" on the side I still am required to have CDL even though it's non-commercial. I have to keep my gooseneck GVWR under 14,500.

Where did you get that information? You might be required to have a non-commercial Class A license in your state. WA doesn't have that type of license but I know TX does.
This gets argued about weekly on the HDT for RV group on FB.

As long as you don't exceed your GCVWR or your axle weight rating you're legal to tow what your truck is rated for. Like my Dually Ram was rated for 30K on gooseneck/5th wheel. No special license required.
But if I wanted to tow that much weight I'd get a HDT to tow it with.

Edit: How do folks with the large Class A diesel pushers get around those numbers?

Last edited:
Where did you get that information? You might be required to have a non-commercial Class A license in your state. WA doesn't have that type of license but I know TX does.
This gets argued about weekly on the HDT for RV group on FB.

As long as you don't exceed your GCVWR or your axle weight rating you're legal to tow what your truck is rated for. Like my Dually Ram was rated for 30K on gooseneck/5th wheel. No special license required.
But if I wanted to tow that much weight I'd get a HDT to tow it with.

Edit: How do folks with the large Class A diesel pushers get around those numbers?

My GCVWR is 30,000 lbs on my truck but I don't think I can legally tow over 26,000 lbs without additional licensing. I'd love to be wrong on this.

Here's what the state of Washington says for you. They are essentially the same rules as in MN.

https://dol.wa.gov/driver-licenses-...st have a commercial,of 26,001 pounds or more

Do I need a CDL?​

Depending on the type of vehicle you drive, you may need a commercial driver license (CDL). Learn what types of vehicles require a CDL.

Types of vehicles that require a CDL​

You must have a commercial driver license (CDL) to drive any of the following vehicles:
  • All single vehicles with a manufacturer's weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more
  • All trailers with a manufacturer's weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more, and a combined vehicle's gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more
  • All vehicles that are designed to transport 16 or more persons (including the driver) including private and church buses.
  • All school buses, regardless of size
  • All vehicles that are used to transport any material that requires hazardous material placarding or any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR 73

Types of vehicles that don't require a CDL​

By law, the following types of drivers don't need a commercial driver license (CDL):
  • Farmers transporting farm equipment, supplies, or products* to or from a farm in a farm vehicle are exempt if the vehicle is operated by the farmer or a farm employee, not used in the operation of a common or contract motor carrier, or used within 150 miles of the farm (in an air-mile radius)
  • If farmers meet all requirements of the farm exemption, they may operate farm-exempt vehicles between the states of Idaho and Oregon
  • Firefighters and law enforcement personnel are exempt when operating emergency equipment if they carry the certification card proving they have completed the Emergency Vehicle Accident Prevention Program (EVAP).
  • Recreational vehicle (RV) operators are exempt when driving an RV for non-commercial purposes. This exemption includes 2-axle rental trucks and horse trailers.
  • Military commercial drivers are exempt only when they are operating the proper military vehicle under a military license issued by their branch of the service. Military members who want to obtain a CDL and are currently on active duty or those within one year of discharge, see Military experience waiver.
  • Drivers of vehicles with air brakes that don't otherwise qualify as commercial vehicles. Even though a vehicle is equipped with air brakes, it doesn't automatically mean the driver must have a CDL. If the vehicle doesn't meet the criteria listed under types of vehicles that require a CDL, the driver is exempt.
*Farm products include Christmas trees or wood products transported by vehicles weighing no more than 40,000 pounds licensed gross vehicle weight. This weight restriction applies only to Christmas trees and wood products.