WLDRYDE

WLDRIDE

WLDRIDE
Supporting Member
Just wanted to start a thread to keep track of the story of my TJ as time goes on. I purchased it on 10/23/19. 2003, 4.0 i6, 42RLE automatic, Bestop soft top. Paint code = P,GR - Shale Green Metallic.

BTW, these first two photos aren't photos from a wheeling adventure, this is where I live.

Jeep Side.jpg

Jeep Front.jpg

Tire size that came on it:

Tire size.jpg

—————————————————————————
Thursday, October 31, 2019

Oil change and complete mechanical inspection at Salida Auto & Diesel.

Friday, November 1st, 2019

Had the depression taken out of the hood at Mahnke Auto Body. Turned out great and they only charged me $100.

Monday, November 4th, 2019

Removed the little follow-up flares behind the front fender flares.

flares-removed-jpg.jpg

November 8th, 2019

At Salida Auto and Diesel:
* Fixed left front control arm bracket
* Installed new left front control arm
* Replaced gear oil in front differential (this had never been done)
* Replaced gear oil in rear differential
* Replaced the muffler
* Replaced the pinion shaft seal
* Replaced the spark plugs

November 9th, 2019

* With a friend I replaced the very ratty original front seats and added the back seat (back seat was missing when I purchased the vehicle). Installed Bestop Trailmax II Pro High Back seats in the color Spice.

* Also got the seat belt warning light to go out by simply not plugging back in the electrical wire that comes out of the driver's seat belt receiver.

new-seats-jpg.jpg

November 11th, 2019

Added extensions to the spare tire snubbers so that the spare would actually rest tightly against them.

Living in a small mountain town of just 5,000 people, there is not a Lowe's, Home Depot, or Harbor Freight in sight. We do have a small Ace Hardware, so I scoured the store to see what they had that I could use.

snubber-extensions-1-jpg.jpg

I got sections of three different hose sizes. The O.D. of each smaller size hose is the I.D. of the next larger size hose. So the three together made a stiff, tight fit. I measured the space between the existing stock snubbers, and the back of the spare tire, and added 3/8" to it. Cut the hoses to the appropriate lengths and inserted them inside each other. I reversed the curl of the two smallest hoses to the curl of the largest hose so that the end result was straight.

snubber-extensions-2-jpg.jpg

Mounted them to the back of the Jeep with the appropriate size bolt. I snugged them down tightly so that each extension is compressed and very stiff.

snubber-extensions-3-jpg.jpg

I put the spare tire on and and snugged it down to check the fit. I only had to adjust one of the extensions (that surprised me).

November 12th, 2019

New windshield!

new-windshield-jpg.jpg

I wanted one without a rear view mirror mount but couldn't find one. In the end I realized that this summer, when I take the steel doors off, I'll lose my side mirrors and so will need the rear view mirror on the windshield.

November 14th, 2019

At Salida Auto and Diesel:
* Replaced transmission oil pan gasket
* Replaced transmission fluid
* New automatic transmission filter kit
* Drained and filled transfer case
* Injector flush
* Tested broken horn (horn getting power - horn itself is bad)

November 15th, 2019

* Replaced the broken horn
* Replaced the door straps
* Removed the aftermarket CD player and the speakers attached to the roll bar
* Started taking the dash apart to fix the rattles and bouncing

November 16th, 2019

* Discovered that two of the four main bolts that the dash hangs on did not have nuts on them at all
* Replaced the nuts and tightened the other two. Totally fixed the dash bouncing and rattling

Dash Bolt.jpg

November 17th, 2019

My factory front passenger seat had a lever built into the side of it, with an interior cable attached, that allowed you to hinge the seat all the way forward for rear seat access. My new Bestop passenger seat did not come with such a lever. But, I saved the cable and made a handle for it. It works really well.

passenger-seat-cable-jpg.jpg

November 18th, 2019

Ever since having the transmission oil, filter, and pan seal changed, the Jeep was shifting hard when down-shifting out of overdrive. Took it back to the shop and they discovered that the new filter they had installed had a hairline crack in it and it was "sucking air." They said that caused the transmission to "throw a code" and everything got out of whack ("out of whack" is my paraphrase of actual events). They replaced the filter and did a re-set on the transmission, etc. Now it shifts smooth as silk. And, this was all warrantied by NAPA from whom they had purchased the filter. This is what the filter looks like:

auto trans filter.jpg

November 19th, 2019

Added end caps to the stubby bumpers.

Stubby Bumper End Caps.jpg

Glued some of the broken connection points on the dash grill

Glueing Dash Grill.jpg

November 20th, 2019

* Re-centered the steering wheel

November 21st, 2019

* Re-installed a stock air intake

Stock Air Intake.jpg

November 22nd, 2019

* With all of the dash bezels off, and the glove compartment out, I replaced all of the missing dash screws and tightened everything
* Polish soft top windows for the first time
* Replaced missing floor pan plugs (3)

November 25th, 2019

* With all of the dash bezels off, I took of the lens on the instrument cluster, cleaned both sides of it, and cleaned the surface of the instrument cluster. Then put the lens back on.
* I put the bezel back on that surrounds the instrument cluster:
Instrument Cluster Bezel.jpg

At the bottom of the bezel, on each side, there were supposed to be little feet that rested against the metal frame of the dash and received a dash screw to hold down the bottom of the bezel. Both of those little feet were completely broken off:
Broken Tab.jpg

I used a small piece of stiff rubber hose (heater hose) to make a little "finger" for each side to hold down the bottom of the bezel:
Rubber Finger.jpg

* Replaced the bezel that fit under the steering wheel. The tabs on each side, at the top, that are supposed to slide into a clip, were both broken off:
Broken Tab.jpg

I made an add-on tab for each side and fastened it with a screw. This is the bottom side of the photo above:
Tab Fix Bottom.jpg

* Put all of the rest of the dash bezels back on. The dash will never be this clean again!
Finished Dash.jpg

November 30th, 2019

* Added a magnetic license plate image to the steel cover plate over the radio slot:
Dash with License Plate copy.jpg

December 11th, 2019

* Replaced the driver's side steering knuckle, u-joint, and ball joints.
* Aligned the front end & re-checked the steering wheel centering.
* Picked up a set of 5 stock wheels - 15 x 7s, with 5.25" of backspacing, and a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern:
Stock Wheels.png

January 2nd, 2020

* Replaced the wheels with the stock wheels I obtained on December 11th.
* Replaced tires with new BFG A/T KO2s - 31x10.5x15.

New Tires & Wheels -  small.jpg

January 3rd, 2020

With stock wheels back on the Jeep, I no longer needed the spare tire snubbers to be extended. BUT, with 10.5 tires, the stock spare tire mount was about an inch too shallow; the lug bolts on the mount did not extend out through the bolt holes on the stock wheel.

I found some large, 1" thick neoprene stoppers to use as spacers to set the stock spare tire mount out from the tailgate. (And 1" longer stainless steel bolts to attach it.) Now the spare sits tight against that bottom snubber, but not so tight that it binds the tailgate latch.

Neoprene spacers.jpg

Spacers installed.jpg

Spare Tire Mounted.jpg

January 10th, 2020

Swapped the stock flares with Sahara model flares that I had painted to match my TJ. The combination of going back to stock wheels (with 5.25" of backspacing), and adding Sahara flares (1" wider), got my 10.5" wide tires tucked back in under the Jeep.

New Flares 1.jpg

New Flares 2.jpg

January 20th, 2020

Oil change. Was told that my differential fluid is a little dark even though it was changed just 3,000 miles ago. This is because it was never changed up 'til then.

January 21st, 2020

Had the front end alignment re-checked at C&J Automotive. I wanted to do this after replacing both the wheels and the tires, even though it was tracking perfectly. Jason at C&J said, "everything is right on the money.

January 21st, 2020

After having removed the "milk jug" ends from my bumpers, and replacing the factory fender flares with Sahara model flares that I had painted to match my TJ, I realized that the only gray plastic trim left on my Jeep was the license plate holder. So I painted it to match as well.

Painted LP Holder.jpg

January 24th, 2020

Swapped the Trektop that came on m TJ for a Supertop NX because the Trektop was not designed to fold all the way down. Also added some custom mud guards I designed.

Jeep Angled Side - 1-24-2020 - small.jpg

Mud Guard Angle - 1-24-2020 - small.jpg

March 5th, 2020

Added 1" seat risers to both front seats.

April 16th, 2020

Oil change.
Changed transmission fluid and filter kit.
Replaced pinion shaft seal on the front differential.
Replaced pinion shaft seal on the rear differential.

May 4th, 2020

Replaced front seat belt receivers.

May 14th, 2020

Replaced handles/latches on old canvas half doors.

May 27th, 2020

Installed 4 Teraflex 2" Coil Spring Spacers.
Installed new Rancho shocks to accommodate the 2" lift.

June 15th, 2020

Install JKS quick-disconnect sway bar links.
Install new sway bar bushings.

June 18th, 2020

Installed JCR Offroad Crusader Rock Sliders.

October, 2020

Installed Yukon 4.88 gears in the differentials.
Installed Yukon limited-slip differential in the rear end.
Replaced the rear drive shaft.
Replaced the battery.
Replaced the alternator.
Added a wiring harness for my overlanding camper.
Broke in the new gears and then replaced gear oil in differentials.
Repainted hood, cowl, and driver's fender, flare, and door.
Increased value on Hagerty insurance policy.

Last edited:
Such a great color jeep! Welcome to the forum!!

You d
November 12th, 2019

New windshield!

View attachment 124671

I wanted one without a rear view mirror mount but couldn't find one. In the end I realized that this summer, when I take the steel doors off, I'll lose my side mirrors and so will need the rear view mirror on the windshield.
You don't have to have two mirrors in your state? They make a mount where you can mount your driver's side outside mirror from your door to your windshield hinge when you go door less.

Reactions: WLDRIDE
You d

You don't have to have two mirrors in your state? They make a mount where you can mount your driver's side outside mirror from your door to your windshield hinge when you go door less.
Good to know. Although I also like to drive around with the windshield folded down. The valley I live in is classified as "high mountain desert;" we get less than 10" of precipitation on the valley floor and have 350 days of sunshine a year. So I can actually leave the Jeep opened up for days (if not weeks) at a time.

Good to know. Although I also like to drive around with the windshield folded down. The valley I live in is classified as "high mountain desert;" we get less than 10" of precipitation on the valley floor and have 350 days of sunshine a year. So I can actually leave the Jeep opened up for days (if not weeks) at a time.
I like to drive with my windshield down too. YOU can still do it with the mirror mounted on the windshield
hinge.

Reactions: WLDRIDE
Have enjoyed following all your questions and progress with your Jeep, keep it up, looks great and love the pics of your homestead👍🏻

Have enjoyed following all your questions and progress with your Jeep, keep it up, looks great and love the pics of your homestead👍🏻
Thanks! I'm thoroughly enjoying being a part of this forum. Joining this forum is, without a doubt, the best thing I'll ever do to get the most enjoyment out of my Jeep.

Reactions: Paparock1
November 15th, 2019

* Replaced the broken horn
* Replaced the door straps
* Removed the aftermarket CD player and the speakers attached to the roll bar
* Started taking the dash apart to fix the rattles and bouncing
What are you going to replace the aftermarket CD player with? Putting in new speakers on the roll bar? Which ones are you going to replace them with?

What are you going to replace the aftermarket CD player with? Putting in new speakers on the roll bar? Which ones are you going to replace them with?
I know I'm in the minority on this, but I never listen to anything when driving. I just like to think. I like the quiet. This is especially true when I'm in the Jeep, but I never listen to anything in our other vehicle either. I'm an introvert and, sometimes, driving time is the only alone time I get.

Exactly 90 days later...

I know everyone's different, but for me, why and where I go wheeling is all about the views. I like to sit in a wide-open hemisphere with nothing but open air around me. So, I need a top that folds all the way down. Hence and thusly, I swapped-out the Trektop that came on my TJ with a Supertop NX. While I was at it, I got the color I wanted.

Anyway, the first photo was taken on October 24th, 2019, the day after I bought my TJ. The rest of the photos were taken on January 24th, 2020, exactly three months later.

Jeep Side.jpg

Jeep Angled Side - 1-24-2020 - small.jpg

Jeep Angled Front - 1-24-2020 - small.jpg

Jeep Back - 1-24-2020 - small.jpg

Jeep Interior - 1-24-2020 - small.jpg

Mud Guard Angle - 1-24-2020 - small.jpg

Mud Guard Straight - 1-24-2020 - small.jpg

And, the day I put on the new top, my honey bees were out doing a winter cleansing flight. They christened the top for me.

Bee on Jeep Top.jpg

Bee Poop on Jeep Top.jpg

Last edited:
Nice transformation in a short time.
Instead of spacing out the tire carrier with non-solid mounts, I would suggest moving the tire out using a 1" wheel adapter.