Woodrow's 97 Green TJ Moderate Build

Perfect. Thanks for the leads. And I only posted due to the irony of finding his green TJ build-out after stepping into the Jeep world so recently. Well that and since he doesn't have the advantage of living in WA, having to grind it out in OR, I thought a message from the more fortunate up north would be nice. ..... just saying.

Well it all depends on how you look at it. OR IMO has some good wheeling but again IMO WA has the better trails to wheel on.

Go down to the new members area and start your own thread and tell us a little soemthing about you and your plans for you nice looking Jeep. Then when you are ready just start asking tons of questions and we'll all be more than happy to help you spend your money on Jeep parts.

https://wranglertjforum.com/forums/new-member-welcome-area.107/

Reactions: Woodrow
The build is coming along great! How hard was the SYE install? I’ll be tackling that myself soon.
Putting in the SYE kit wasn’t too bad. The Advance Adaptors sent a pretty good set of instructions. Between that and you tube, it was pretty smooth. A couple of things: It can be done on the Jeep by simply splitting the case and leaving the front half attached to the transmission or you can remove the whole thing and do it on a bench. I have access to a lift so I chose to do it on the Jeep. If you don’t, then maybe on the bench would be easier? Second, reinstalling the oil pump correctly is not hard but critical to your t-case. So pay attention there. Last, if you have an earlier model TJ with a mechanical speedo gear in the transfer case, it needs to be clocked correctly for the number of teeth on reinstalling. Make sure to photograph the position before you remove it. Good luck!

Well it all depends on how you look at it. OR IMO has some good wheeling but again IMO WA has the better trails to wheel on.

Go down to the new members area and start your own thread and tell us a little soemthing about you and your plans for you nice looking Jeep. Then when you are ready just start asking tons of questions and we'll all be more than happy to help you spend your money on Jeep parts.

https://wranglertjforum.com/forums/new-member-welcome-area.107/
Sounds like a plan. I do like spending money. Only reason I worked. I made it, I'm a going to spend it! (as we say in KY)

82FB53C9-E44B-4E4C-B6C0-3F4B6CA37271.jpeg

what a great backroads crusier for Oregon! I had two Green 1998 TJs with tan seats in the past, loved em both. What part of Oregon are you in? I lived in Ashland for awhile

Reactions: Wildman
If you decide you want a selectable locker you can also look into the Super 35 kits which makes your Dana 35 axle just as strong as a Dana 44 axle. Cheaper than trying to find a Dana 44 since they seem to be like hens teeth and around the PNW when you do find one they are more expensive than they are worth IMO.

You've really done some nice work to the rig. What are you plans as far as wheeling with it? Just forest service roads or something more? If you're going to get into wheeling the trails do you have a group of friends to wheel with?

Be careful reading around this site as it seem to make many of us spend loads of money we'd never planned on because of all the great ideas on here. So you've been duly warned.
Ha ha. Copy that. Mostly a daily driver. I really enjoy driving different vehicles which are quirky and engaging. My wife has a nice, newer SUV that is objectively better than anything I drive but also really boring (good trip car, though). The TJ is pretty distinct in feel compared to my moderately modded Mustang. I‘ve only done a little wheeling with it so far. But I’m looking to do more. There are some folks around here that seem pretty into it.

With regard to the super 35 option, do you think it will stand up to locked 33s with torque in the 300 range on mid-level trails?

Reactions: Vasq and Wildman
Ha ha. Copy that. Mostly a daily driver. I really enjoy driving different vehicles which are quirky and engaging. My wife has a nice, newer SUV that is objectively better than anything I drive but also really boring (good trip car, though). The TJ is pretty distinct in feel compared to my moderately modded Mustang. I‘ve only done a little wheeling with it so far. But I’m looking to do more. There are some folks around here that seem pretty into it.

With regard to the super 35 option, do you think it will stand up to locked 33s with torque in the 300 range on mid-level trails?

Yes the Super 35 from my understanding will handle that no problem. The person who helped design it is on this forum and could probably answer all your questions. His name on here is mrblaine. Also there are tons of threads on the subject.

If you're new to wheeling I always recommend that you join a 4wheeling club. The Pacific Northwest 4 Wheel Drive Association is a great place to find a club. And got to this page to find clubs in your area. https://www.pnw4wda.org/clubs.php

Reactions: kiwi
what a great backroads crusier for Oregon! I had two Green 1998 TJs with tan seats in the past, loved em both. What part of Oregon are you in? I lived in Ashland for awhile
Thank you. We are in the Roseburg area. I mountain bike around Ashland several times a year and always try to hit Ruby’s and Gil’s afterward for a burrito and a beer.

Yes the Super 35 from my understanding will handle that no problem. The person who helped design it is on this forum and could probably answer all your questions. His name on here is mrblaine. Also there are tons of threads on the subject.

If you're new to wheeling I always recommend that you join a 4wheeling club. The Pacific Northwest 4 Wheel Drive Association is a great place to find a club. And got to this page to find clubs in your area. https://www.pnw4wda.org/clubs.php
thx! I will check those resources.

Reactions: Wildman
While getting ready for a bigger project, I did some smaller things in rear of the Jeep. Bumpers are stock (with the caps removed) and that’s OK for the daily driver, light trail current mission. There’s been some good discussion on this site about the value of keeping weight down which makes sense to me. Stock tow hooks on the front are functional. No recovery point on the rear though and the TJ didn’t have a factory jack when I bought it. I’ve had a high lift laying around for 20 years which, in addition to be a good jack for lifted vehicles, is also simple and effective winch and fence tensioner. I decided to mount it on the rear bumper with some inexpensive brackets from Quadratec and installed a Curt 2” receiver hitch to act as a recovery point and so I could mount a bike rack. Also got a decent cast D-ring insert and zinc coated D-ring from Quadratec. Jack location is not perfect as it could hit off-road because it deceases the departure angle a little. Some of the after market tire racks have hi-lift mounts incorporated and I suppose that’s an option but trying to avoid it. Hood mount is out for me.

EC7CA0FA-F17D-40EF-B27A-82DABD62687C.jpeg

Reactions: Vasq and Wildman
Next is the spare tire mount. I’m using the stock tailgate mount but the 33x12.5 tire is certainly heavier than the stock 27” rubber. The current wheel back space is also different so the bumpers on the tailgate weren’t contacting the tire. Seemed like a recipe for 75# of metal and rubber bouncing down the road and landing on someone. Don’t want to see that movie. Fortunately, the 33 does contact the top of the rear bumper slightly when the tailgate is closed. That’s some support. I got some Crown extended bumpers (1.85”). I sill had to cut the stock bumpers and buy longer bolts to increase the height enough. Finally, I replaced the 5 stock bolts holding the rack onto the tailgate with new grade 8 bolts. Hopefully, this is a safer setup while keeping down the weight.

DB5F40F4-D045-4334-8910-29E872EE3536.jpeg

Reactions: Vasq and Nickgsjeep
Reactions: Woodrow
An engine swap is way beyond anything I’ve attempted but I’m going to give it a shot. What could possibly go wrong? The stock 97 4.0 only has 155K and runs pretty well. It has a lifter tick but doesn’t burn oil and feels pretty smooth except occasional mild roughness at idle. Also, with the recent addition of 4.10 gears (vs stock 3.08), it’s less doggy around town. But everyone knows it’s not super powerful either. And it has developed low oil pressure at idle when warm (possibly suggesting excessive crank or cam bearing wear?). There is no rod knock. A new oil pressure sensor didn’t fix this. Neither did 20W50 oil and heat wrap around the exhaust by the oil pan (but they did help). A harbor freight mechanical gauge showed no less than 10-12psi at warm idle with over 40 psi while driving. So not entirely sure I’m having a real oil pressure problem or just a gauge problem. We will find out when the new motor goes in, I guess.

As to that, there are numerous people in my area who have V8 swapped Jeeps. Those Jeeps are very cool and I briefly considered an LS. But that would be a stretch too far for me both in skills and the mission of this Jeep so I decided a stroker was way to go. Mostly I just want to attempt the swap on my own and get some more power while maintaining the essence of what I consider to be a great original vehicle. The Golen crate 4.6L has a ‘92 block and 7120 casting head. According to Golen, this specific engine made 284HP at 5200 RPM and max torque was 323ft.lbs. (with over 300 from 3000-5200RPM) on their dyno. Stock 1997 4.0L numbers are about 180HP and 225ft.lbs. I’m going to try to get baseline dyno numbers on the stock 4.0L at the rear wheels before I pull it and then with the 4.6L once it’s in. I like data to back up my subjective impressions. I’ll post that info here.

Anyway, now I’m digging into preparation for the swap. I have a hoist and engine stand. Ordered some Brown Dog motor mounts, an OEM Luk clutch and flywheel with National throw out bearing (thanks to Jerry Bransford for the advice) and a new starter. The motor came with a stainless header, high flow water pump and 62mm throttle body as well as 24# injectors to replace the the stock 18# units (and necessary gaskets). Planning on straight swapping everything else except maybe the distributor.

This may take a bit and I will probably more need advice from forum members along the way so thanks in advance.

413C6E70-129A-456A-8590-F8065D5A762E.jpeg

Last edited:
An engine swap is way beyond anything I’ve attempted but I’m going to give it a shot. What could possibly go wrong? The stock 97 4.0 only has 155K and runs pretty well. It has a lifter tick but doesn’t burn oil and feels pretty smooth except occasional mild roughness at idle. Also, with the recent addition of 4.10 gears (vs stock 3.08), it’s less doggy around town. But everyone knows it’s not super powerful either. And it has developed low oil pressure at idle when warm (possibly suggesting excessive crank or cam bearing wear?). There is no rod knock. A new oil pressure sensor didn’t fix this. Neither did 20W50 oil and heat wrap around the exhaust by the oil pan (but they did help). A harbor freight mechanical gauge showed no less than 10-12psi at warm idle with over 40 psi while driving. So not entirely sure I’m having a real oil pressure problem or just a gauge problem. We will find out when the new motor goes in, I guess.

As to that, there are numerous people in my area who have V8 swapped Jeeps. Those Jeeps are very cool and I briefly considered an LS. But that would be a stretch too far for me both in skills and the mission of this Jeep so I decided a stroker was way to go. Mostly I just want to attempt the swap on my own and get some more power while maintaining the essence of what I consider to be a great original vehicle. The Golen crate 4.6L has a ‘92 block and 7120 casting head. According to Golen, this specific engine made 284HP at 5200 RPM and max torque was 323ft.lbs. (with over 300 from 3000-5200RPM) on their dyno. Stock 1997 4.0L numbers are about 180HP and 225ft.lbs. I’m going to try to get baseline dyno numbers on the stock 4.0L at the rear wheels before I pull it and then with the 4.6L once it’s in. I like data to back up my subjective impressions. I’ll post that info here.

Anyway, now I’m digging into preparation for the swap. I have a hoist and engine stand. Ordered some Brown Dog motor mounts, an OEM Luk clutch and flywheel with National throw out bearing (thanks to Jerry Bransford for the advice) and a new starter. The motor came with a stainless header, high flow water pump and 62mm throttle body as well as 24# injectors to replace the the stock 18# units (and necessary gaskets). Planning on straight swapping everything else except maybe the distributor.

This will may take a bit and I will probably more need advice from forum members along the way so thanks in advance.

View attachment 258378
Alright, this is my new favorite thread, a Golan stroker from NH has is my next major jeep purchase.