Woodrow's 97 Green TJ Moderate Build

Moab Trip 2024; Monday day June 10.
Fins and Things and Hell’s Revenge
This was the classic Moab slickrock day. We had the biggest group and saw many others on the trails including tours and many SXSs. We started with Fins and the went on to Hells.
Fins:
20240610_094014_Original.jpeg

IMG_20240610_105040_Original.jpeg

At some point, we saw these guys:
IMG_0901_Original.jpeg

Definitely different. Which was probably at least part of the point.

This stuff is super fun your first time out. The steepness and traction are remarkable. But Moab has so much to offer on other, more challenging and less popular trails. Once you’ve done these trails before, you find yourself trying to spice it up with optional stuff. For example:
There were a few other climbs I did or attempted throughout the trip that started to make me think mid-arms might be worth exploring.

We went to Hell’s gate of course. Its a long V-notch that’s mostly straightforward but there is a little jog near the top which messed me up last year. I lifted a wheel way too high and had to reset. This year’s run up was smoother so the video isn’t too dramatic.
Nearby, one of the tour HMMWVs had a dead battery. It was surrounded by about 20 SXSs who were no help but @NashvilleTJ gave him a jump. I wasn’t any help either but I did take the opportunity to check out the hardware. Nice!
IMG_6858.jpeg

I was interested in trying the Escalator this year, if I could get a better feel for it. But there was a huge line and this guy flopped so we drove on by.
IMG_1265_Original.jpeg

Last year, we just looked at Mickey’s Hot tub and since then, @Apparition voiced some regret about not giving it a go. And we all know how it went for @NashvilleTJ last year. So I was anticipating some fun. But, it was not to be. We found this when we got there:
IMG_6861.jpeg

The orange Jeep-like vehicle in the bottom ripped it’s truss off the rear axle. Its anchored to the red Jeep while the yellow jeep is winching the pinion down so he can weld it. The welder is in the super cool silver jeep with a superchager and everything else. I talked to that guy for a while. It was a really nice build. I had time because @NashvilleTJ loaned his portable welding hood to the guy welding and it took over an hour for the axle to be good enough to get the rig out. But it was really good that he got the hood because he had a lot of welding to do with no good eye protection. By the time it was done, we had eaten lunch and several in our group were ready to call it for the day. So we headed out. We will call that truss #2 for the trip because even though it wasn’t from our group, it did change our day a bit.

Moab Trip 2024; Tuesday day June 11.
Poison Spider, Golden Spike and Gold Bar Rim (the “Trifecta”)

Last year, the group did part of this. We followed Gemini Bridges off of 191 to Gold Bar Rim and went right on Rusty Nail (the highlight). The we went onto Golden Spike briefly to hit the Golden Crack and back out Gold Bar Rim. That was fun but this year we did the more traditional trail accessed by driving south of town on the west side of the Colorado River on route 279 to the beginning of Poison Spider Mesa.
Its easy to get turned around if you are just following someone else. Here’s a page out of Charles Wells’ excellent Moab trail guide book which I highly recommend.
IMG_7130.jpeg

This shows mostly Golden Spike with the ends of Gold Bar Rim (top left) and Poison Spider (bottom right). I might get flamed for saying so by all the YouTubers and younger folks, but I have found this so much better and easier to use than apps like OnX.

Driving down route 279 in the morning.
IMG_6876.jpeg

There were a few SXSs (you can see a couple of trailers worth in front of us) but overall it was a pretty quiet day. We had a small group. We started with @NashvilleTJ, @Apparition, @MagnumV8 and myself but the big yellow jeep made a loud noise about 1/4 mile into the trail “just driving along” that turned out to be the Dynatrac truss on the front axle letting go (truss no. 3). He details this in his build thread but, instead of wheeling with us, this was his morning☹️:
IMG_2829.jpeg

IMG_6938.jpeg

So we were down to 3 Jeeps. This group shot is in a cave near the southern junction of Where Eagles Dare and Golden Spike.
20240611_111240_Original.jpeg

I was getting more confident and itching to push myself and my Jeep on some harder lines. Not too far in, we rolled up to a waterfall with several possible lines and I decided upon the right side:
20240611_084126_Original.jpeg

And dropped my passenger rear into a hole which I did not fully appreciate. As the tire was dropping to the bottom, it really felt like I was going over to passenger and rear😬
20240611_084129_Original.jpeg

But I didn’t and in reality, looking at Ben’s pic, the rocker probably would have caught me. Nevertheless, that was enough of that nonsense and I went up a safer line a little to the left and spent a few minutes un-puckering😅
20240611_084218_Original.jpeg

Shortly after that, I watched @Apparition walk up an optional v-notch.
20240611_085529_Original.jpeg

With @Apparition spotting and @MagnumV8 again slinging the camera, I gave it a go:
After about 4.5 miles, you come to Little Arch. You can just see the Colorado River through the arch. The road on the far side is Kane Creek. That goes to Pritchett Canyon, our destination on Wednesday…
IMG_1279_Original.jpeg

Now in the middle of Golden Spike here is a view up 191, north of Moab. If you go back up top and look at the map, this is somewhere between waypoints 9 and 10. Those train tracks below come out of a long, deep tunnel from Bootleg Canyon which we had driven over (at the time unbeknownst to me at least). The entrance road to Arches National Park is just visible at the lower right.
20240611_133034_Original.jpeg

@Apparition getting flexy at the Golden Crack
20240611_135326_Original.jpeg

me too…
20240611_135631_Original.jpeg

Not as flexy as some but look at that belly😃

Near the end of Golden spike is the optional Double Whammy. Of course, @Apparition tried the harder left line first, but no deal. He got the slightly easier but still sketchy right side line no problem. Then, @MagnumV8 tried it in his TJ. I didn’t think he would make so I figured we both could go around and I wouldn’t seem like a whimp. Then he made it up🙄 So, it was either a walk of shame or give it a try. Here we go:

The final real obstacle on Gold Bar Rim is “The Waterfall”. I made this last year in a couple of attempts and did so again this year but honestly, I thought it would be easier:
@MagnumV8 struggled a bit too but stayed on it even as he was sliding towards the camera crew and was successful. Also, nobody died👍
Near the end of the day we noticed @MagnumV8 had a shock hanging down.

IMG_6924.jpeg

It turned out, the lower shock mount had failed. It wasn’t ripped off the tube as we expected, but had fatigued and broken in the middle.
IMG_6934.jpeg

After spending the day fixing his own rig, @NashvilleTJ was getting ready to go out to dinner with his wife and their friends who came out from Tennessee with them. But, at the cost of his freshly showered cleanliness, a bunch of sweat (it was over 100 degrees at this point in the day) and literally the skin on his nose, he got the bracket put back together so everyone could be ready for the trail we all were waiting for on Wednesday.
IMG_6937.jpeg
IMG_6939.jpeg

Despite the heat and that hiccup, it was a beautiful day:
IMG_6925.jpeg

20240611_131019_Original.jpeg

Now it was time to get some dinner, rest and psyched up for the big show in the morning…

Last edited:
Not bad at all this week. Other than a day of rain, weather was pretty good.

It was definitely kinda late for Moab…

I'm happy for you. We were high 80's to mid 90's for a week and pretty high humidity. Lots of time in the water! The round of golf we played from 10 am to 2 pm was pretty beastly.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ