Wrangle TJ Tailgate hinge bolts and metal support

myjeep3

TJ Enthusiast
I am trying to remove the tailgate on my TJ but the bolts and the metal piece behind it that holds those hings bolts has rotted and need to be
replaced but cant find it anywhere online. I was thinking about using different hinges but I am not sure if I will still need that metal piece behind... ???

You can see the piece highlighted in yellow in the pic below.

Please advise. Thanks

Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 9.06.58 AM.png

Replacement hinges whether stock or aftermarket will bolt in the same place. I think that was your question

Replacement hinges whether stock or aftermarket will bolt in the same place. I think that was your question

Yes, and the other part of the question is where can I buy that plate where the bolts mount to?

I'm wondering two things: 1. how you resolved salvage/insurance issue and 2. whether you found the tailgate bolt plate mount in this post and if not how you resolved this? TIA.

I'm wondering two things: 1. how you resolved salvage/insurance issue and 2. whether you found the tailgate bolt plate mount in this post and if not how you resolved this? TIA.
Hey, sorry for the late reply, didn't see this until now. They didn't salve the title due to the age of vehicle.
I end up fabricating the tailgate plate. Was actually very simple. Made it much stronger thn factory.

Hope that answered your questions.

Thanks. when I bought mine there was a broken bolt on right body side hole. Extractor broke. Drilled it all out but lost the plate bolt. Managed to get behind with serrated bolt And that was all she wrote.