Wrangler EV will go 0-60 in 6 seconds

I really think the convertible SUV is awesome. I love that about a Jeep, along with the frame and simplicity, but I think the JK on moves too far away from what I like. I'm not saying they're bad, but I just like older stuff that's light and doesn't look like I unbolted the door or something, but that's not Jeep's fault there either. That's regulations.

33 kwh in a gallon of gasoline. To "refill" for several miles (I need the kwh/mi rating of the EV model I'm guessing), you'd need an array of 6,600 Watt array to refuel for an average day of sunlight. To put that in perspective a 100 watt 12 V typical cheap panel is 42.2inx19.6in or about 5.7 sq ft. We'd need about 66 of those which would be around 380 sqft, or a typical living room for an array that doesn't include a bunch of losses or optimization or anything.

That also is bigger than some nice panels are probably able to put out. But it kinda puts that stuff in perspective.

In any case in about 1 day of charging with that size of an array, you could drive roughly 30 miles at low speed. And you'd only have about $8k in your array. Imagine if you wanted to 10x that or maybe if you wanted to do highway speeds or something.

Reactions: Tob
33 kwh in a gallon of gasoline. To "refill" for several miles (I need the kwh/mi rating of the EV model I'm guessing), you'd need an array of 6,600 Watt array to refuel for an average day of sunlight. To put that in perspective a 100 watt 12 V typical cheap panel is 42.2inx19.6in or about 5.7 sq ft. We'd need about 66 of those which would be around 380 sqft, or a typical living room for an array that doesn't include a bunch of losses or optimization or anything.

That also is bigger than some nice panels are probably able to put out. But it kinda puts that stuff in perspective.
To really make a valid comparison we really need to know how long it takes to fill your gas tank if you leave it parked right? If it takes 10 days and you get 2 miles that's still better than 10 days and 0 miles. It will be fun to see it when it happens, that's I'll I said. Put your calculator away.

Reactions: BugoutJeep
I daily drive my Jeep and I can fill up in about 5 minutes with a range of around 500 plus miles.

Sorry I work daily with the calculator, so I like to use it. I could have easily gotten something wrong though, but it kind of has that "feels right" scale to it.

I went and looked around for some solar array farm stuff and looks like you could fuel an EV Jeep for a year if you had a 2 acre array, probably more like 3 or 4 acres though, because you're gonna have to store the energy. Also I'm not sure exactly of what all was included with the KWh/acre I saw.

If you run biodiesel figures, it's over 7 acres roughly, maybe more if you get a bit more real life, plus I'm not sure of all the additives that are required.

If you were running straight oil 7 acres for the Jeep and maybe an acre or 2 for the tractor.

Reactions: Apparition
If somebody mentioned an electric Jeep a few years ago I have a feeling you'd make the same comment about range and batteries and here we are today.
No, I would like to have a Tesla but I couldn’t justify the range problem.

For instance if I wanted to drive to my parents it’s nearly the full range, so much so I couldn’t drive to work and still make it.

Say I did the drive and made it to their house. They only have 110v available so I now have to take a vacation day to fully charge my car to make it home with an empty battery. That all assumes I don’t drive anywhere else all weekend.

It’s getting better but a solar panel would be the equivalent of filling your gas tank via an eye dropper.

Reactions: BugoutJeep and Tob
It’s getting better but a solar panel would be the equivalent of filling your gas tank via an eye dropper.
The Tesla model three has a 75kwh battery today. Three roof panels "might" fit on the roof of an Unlimited today. That is 4.5kwh per day. That means 1/16 of the tank per day today. Who knows what those numbers will be in the future. They eyedropper thing is clearly not true.

Edit: darn it, now I need to put the calculator away!

• Haha
The Tesla model three has a 75kwh battery today. Three roof panels "might" fit on the roof of an Unlimited today. That is 4.5kwh per day. That means 1/16 of the tank per day today. Who knows what those numbers will be in the future. They eyedropper thing is clearly not true.

Edit: darn it, now I need to put the calculator away!
If it takes 10/16 to make it home, how many sunny days are needed?

Note, Jeep and the Tesla won't be getting the same efficiencies, but note that the 75 kwh is just a little over 2 gal tank. I wouldn't want that on our Prius.

4.5kwh is a lot for for 3 panels (I'm just used to the various off-road and hobby types, of course). I would think max, around 500 watt of solar x average 5 sun hrs/day (don't forget weather for the rest of the country) also you don't get perfect charge angles with stuff mounted, which unless it's laminated to the vehicle, will reduce aerodynamics and increase energy consumption. Plus you're parking in the sun.

Note, Jeep and the Tesla won't be getting the same efficiencies, but note that the 75 kwh is just a little over 2 gal tank. I wouldn't want that on our Prius.

4.5kwh is a lot for for 3 panels (I'm just used to the various off-road and hobby types, of course). I would think max, around 500 watt of solar x average 5 sun hrs/day (don't forget weather for the rest of the country) also you don't get perfect charge angles with stuff mounted, which unless it's laminated to the vehicle, will reduce aerodynamics and increase energy consumption. Plus you're parking in the sun.
The other thing at play is how will the "mileage" be on the rocks? I get around 12mpg on the roads, but I've seen 5 mpg on some of the trails.

Much like pulling a trailer with the Tesla, consumption rates is a huge factor.

On a tangent, I think solar has a lot to offer, especially for roofing and home design. I love running solar, but it's a headache that most people won't want to deal with until more bugs are worked out. And it's probably only good for partially reducing our energy consumption. Though we keep increasing the items we are pulling from the grid. Not sure how much more efficient all my electrical power tools are vs the air tools and small engine stuff I used to use, as a starter. Don't forget about manufacturing costs and resources either.

What's the most frustrating with a lot of the "green" market though are all the scams that are clear and some that are fairly hidden for the average consumer. I think stuff has gotten better on the commercial scale, but so many items I've bought have no financial payback and very limited uses. I don't mind that though because I'm either in remote areas, prefer the lack of noise, like tinkering, etc.

Many of the industrial motors we work with have to be purchased at least 2x their previously few percentage less efficient models and are often kept on longer, because they're not as strong as the old stuff (this is mostly hearsay, I admit, but the guys that pay for it and know how the machines run refuse to do away with some of their old motors).

However if you don't have expendable cash, this stuff is a rip off and unless the world is going to have loads of excess cash, they're not going to follow suit either. Even if you give many people a system many aren't or won't be able to keep up with all of the demands and nuisances of what's out there and some aspects can be dangerous.

The other thing at play is how will the "mileage" be on the rocks? I get around 12mpg on the roads, but I've seen 5 mpg on some of the trails.

Much like pulling a trailer with the Tesla, consumption rates is a huge factor.
I think the EV will be MUCH MUCH more efficient at those tasks than a gas engine. EV motors are kinda like have a 8.3L diesel engine around and then on the top end they're like 8.3L gas engines. From my understanding they tend to be much more inefficient with speed and not just because of the aerodynamics.

I think it won't be long an EV will out crawl a bunch of the V8s and high hp stuff. It'll just take awhile to figure out how to suspend the weight and bulk of the batteries.

On a tangent, I think solar has a lot to offer, especially for roofing and home design. I love running solar, but it's a headache that most people won't want to deal with until more bugs are worked out. And it's probably only good for partially reducing our energy consumption. Though we keep increasing the items we are pulling from the grid. Not sure how much more efficient all my electrical power tools are vs the air tools and small engine stuff I used to use, as a starter. Don't forget about manufacturing costs and resources either.

What's the most frustrating with a lot of the "green" market though are all the scams that are clear and some that are fairly hidden for the average consumer. I think stuff has gotten better on the commercial scale, but so many items I've bought have no financial payback and very limited uses. I don't mind that though because I'm either in remote areas, prefer the lack of noise, like tinkering, etc.

Many of the industrial motors we work with have to be purchased at least 2x their previously few percentage less efficient models and are often kept on longer, because they're not as strong as the old stuff (this is mostly hearsay, I admit, but the guys that pay for it and know how the machines run refuse to do away with some of their old motors).

However if you don't have expendable cash, this stuff is a rip off and unless the world is going to have loads of excess cash, they're not going to follow suit either. Even if you give many people a system many aren't or won't be able to keep up with all of the demands and nuisances of what's out there and some aspects can be dangerous.
Electric is the future, I realized this back in about 2004 when I was designing systems to install solar panels on offshore oil rigs. Interestingly it was on a rig owned by a very large oil company that's a household name, they also requested I use panels from their solar panel company that they owned.

I think the EV will be MUCH MUCH more efficient at those tasks than a gas engine. EV motors are kinda like have a 8.3L diesel engine around and then on the top end they're like 8.3L gas engines. From my understanding they tend to be much more inefficient with speed and not just because of the aerodynamics.

I think it won't be long an EV will out crawl a bunch of the V8s and high hp stuff. It'll just take awhile to figure out how to suspend the weight and bulk of the batteries.
No doubt they can put out gobs of torque but as Tommy showed on TFL (backed up to quick and missed the garage opening) they can be a handful when trying to go slow.

Still range is the problem and I haven't seen where that has drastically improved.

The weight is always there and you better have good skids.

Yes it is the future, but I'm not sure how many more decades until it's ready. EVs are the same, but they've got trillions and trillions and trillions of dollars until the infrastructure is there.

I think EVs will start playing a heavy niche roll in cities, like USPS, UPS, businesses and people with very structured day to days. Everyone else is probably buying it as a fashion statement and not showing you their other vehicles they actually use. We're at a point we probably could start moving away from hybrids and just having tiny engines onboard with a few gallon tank to extend our range and recharge our batteries for everyone else.

Eventually when we have a highway system that your vehicle can lock in almost like a train and charge while you read or do something else and then automatically let you off at your "exit" then EVs will be what we drive.

I didn't know they had issues with going slow. That's an easy programming fix IMO. I would think Jeep or someone will add an infinitely adjustable crawl ratio at some point.

In fact you probably won't need lockers or anything at that point. Like better than lockers. Like sensing which wheel needs the power more, etc.

The additional weight will likely take some decades to figure out. That's good for towing though.