Wrangler or Levi Strauss?

Flivver250

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Four and a half decades ago I probably chose Levi jeans more often than Wrangler. I watched for sales and chose by price. A little more than two decades ago Levi decided it was time to start preaching against my right to keep and bear arms. That single act ended my patronage entirely and I haven't bought a Levi product since. Wrangler makes a great product and they fit my scrawny arse perfectly and I have no idea who they vote for. I like the Wrangler shirts as well. When manufacturers engage in politics contrary to my beliefs I vote them out. I don't drink that Seattle burnt coffee, I stopped eating Ben & Jerry's even though I worked for them for a decade. I don't care how cool or good a product is if they expose themselves as commie douche bags.

I agree, but I have limits to what I'll let it affect. Below is something I'd still gladly own:
fl0116-230781_2.jpg

1978 CJ-7 Levi's Edition

Four and a half decades ago I probably chose Levi jeans more often than Wrangler. I watched for sales and chose by price. A little more than two decades ago Levi decided it was time to start preaching against my right to keep and bear arms. That single act ended my patronage entirely and I haven't bought a Levi product since. Wrangler makes a great product and they fit my scrawny arse perfectly and I have no idea who they vote for. I like the Wrangler shirts as well. When manufacturers engage in politics contrary to my beliefs I vote them out. I don't drink that Seattle burnt coffee, I stopped eating Ben & Jerry's even though I worked for them for a decade. I don't care how cool or good a product is if they expose themselves as commie douche bags.
It's always a struggle trying to stick to your beliefs when dealing with things these days. I find myself limited at times (self-limitations due to my beliefs) by my way of thinking regarding country, politics, and faith. Any one of those things by itself can make it harder these days if you have strong convictions about them. That's how I see it, anyway.

Does the Levi Strauss company get heavily involved in politics?

Lately these past few years I've been going out of my way to not buy from companies who get publicly involved in politics. Not that I ever bought Levi's to begin with, but it's nice to know I can continue to avoid them.

I don't give a shit who you vote for, but as a company, I don't want to hear about your politics personally. The moment you start talking about them is the moment I lose interest in your company.

It's always a struggle trying to stick to your beliefs when dealing with things these days. I find myself limited at times (self-limitations due to my beliefs) by my way of thinking regarding country, politics, and faith. Any one of those things by itself can make it harder these days if you have strong convictions about them. That's how I see it, anyway.

The available options with these values in mind are narrowing fairly rapidly. It’s a bit troubling how some values are shamed out and others are promoted.

As soon as levi's started in with the whole anti gun crap I was like "well, guess you guys didn't want my money". Same with gillette and their "let's bash men" campaign. If companies want to play politics, be prepared for the financial backlash. Levi and Gillette can go pound sand. Here's a couple of good videos, one talking about the struggle over gun rights, another is a response to gillette.

I just gotta throw in my 2 cents on this. First of all the rotten bastards decided to improve their jeans by reducing the number of belt loops from 7 to 5. Next they decided to screw around and "improve" the quality of the cloth. Then they became anti-freedom and started to rail against gun ownership. Then, last but not least, they shortened the fucking pockets. Screw Levi's.

I just gotta throw in my 2 cents on this. First of all the rotten bastards decided to improve their jeans by reducing the number of belt loops from 7 to 5. Next they decided to screw around and "improve" the quality of the cloth. Then they became anti-freedom and started to rail against gun ownership. Then, last but not least, they shortened the fucking pockets. Screw Levi's.
I grew up wearing Levi jeans. Wore them through many years of being an adult. I quit when they quit wearing well and started lasting shorter and shorter lengths of time even though I had more pairs and wore each less time. I don't know the politics of Carhartt but I get suitable wear time out of them for the dollar.

Sadly my favorite shirts are made by Levi but they changed their construction and size quality control many years ago and when these are all worn out, I'll be looking for a suitable alternate. Not sure how you can order 10 shirts all the same size and wind up with everything from a small med to an big large all with the same size tag on them. Typically I order one, try it on, note the size if I like the way it fits I order the rest.

I'm tone-deaf to Levi's political stances, but I do think that their jeans suck now. I'm not exactly into "fashion", and I usually wear clothes provided to me by my wife or my employer. When I find a certain piece of clothing that fits well I tend to stick with it because that's just one less variable in my life. In the case of Levis, I have worn 569s in size 32/32 for probably the past ten years. What I've noticed over the past couple of years is a dramatic variation in how these jeans fit from pair to pair. Model 569, size 32/32 shouldn't be subjective, and a company the size of Levis should possess the manufacturing discipline to make jeans in the same fitment style and measurement nearly identical. I have one pair that is so long the bottom drags over my boot heel, and a new pair my wife purchased for me the other day (569, 32/32) is so tight around the thigh that a cell phone in my front pocket is uncomfortable. I don't get how a manufacturer can identify their product based upon objective dimensions and then have those dimensions vary significantly.

Suck it Levi!

I feel the same way about bands. They can believe whatever they like, but when I shell out $50 or more for concert tickets, I don't appreciate them preaching to me when I paid to hear music.

That said, I may have a couple of Levis hanging around, but I prefer the Wrangler when I go topless (pun intended) 😁

So, we did a fund raiser for fire fighters a few years ago. We put on a little BBQ competition and had scheduled Michael Martin Murphy for a private show for all the $500 and up donors, and the BBQ teams involved with the contest and feeding the donors before the show. So we are all gathered under the stars, sitting on hay bales, the Coyotes have on their little scarves, life is good. He gets up and starts ranting about the "Evil Land Developers" and the construction of new homes and new roads in the southwest! Well the people who had helped raise over $30,000 for the fire fighters were developers and construction company owners. They all got up and walked out of the show and we had to refund most of the money raised because this Jack Ass had to get up and start yapping about his political beliefs. Did he feel bad about screwing up our event and offer to not take his pay for the show? Hell no! He took his money, told us it was all our fault for doing business with the Evil Land Robbers. I hate him to this day and do not hesitate to tell this story.

I never like either Levi or Wrangler jeans. Both of them always seem to be cheap and fit badly. I've come to find that a good pair of jeans is something I'm willing to spend a bit extra on. So far, I haven't found anything better than the jeans I've bought at Buckle. The store is annoying as hell to shop at since it's a very "hip" store where the sales people aggressively try to over-assist you on finding stuff for you to try on, but they have some good boot-cut jeans with thick seams and relatively soft-flexible denim that is comfortable. You just have to get past all the overly-stylized crap, hip skinny jeans, and intentionally ripped stuff to find them.

I tried American Eagle and it wasn't bad, but the front zipper cover did the thing where they don't fully cover the zipper when worn and it just looked like my fly was open.

I guess I'm just a damn picky bastard when it comes to pants. No wonder I hate shopping for clothes.

I can get maybe 3-4 months out of a pair of levis before a seam starts to break. My last shopping trip (I loath shopping) I went with wrangler and so far they have lasted without any noticeable wear.

As to Carhartt, I have had a winter jacket now for probably 12 years, that thing is indestructible (along with numerous other carhartts). Its faded and dirty but it is my favorite jacket. Ive used it for everyday wear in the winter, use it for work, use it for hunting, and have used it while crawling all over the concrete trying to drop my tank in the middle of January. Its disgusting looking but damn is it warm and shows no signs of being ripped open anywhere.

I grew up wearing Levi jeans. Wore them through many years of being an adult. I quit when they quit wearing well and started lasting shorter and shorter lengths of time even though I had more pairs and wore each less time.

me too. In fact I still have maybe 5 or 6 pairs that date back to the late 80s/early 90s. I wore them relentlessly & they were tough to destroy, though I don't do much in the way of labor in them. Anyway maybe 5 years or so ago I decided to inject a new pile of jeans into the wardrobe & sight unseen I bought 8 pairs of new Levis online. First thing I noticed was there were about 100 different 'styles' to choose from. When I was a kid there was 2 that i remember, one with a zipper & one with buttons. There were different choices below, like 'boot cut' or straight but still there wasn't this insane variety that makes it all very confusing.

Anyway the first thing i noticed was the jeans were light as a feather, far lighter than their 20-30 year old counterparts, so obviously cheaper in every respect. Sad to see such a classic company turn to shit like that, but that seems to be the way of the world.

Gotta say though even with that I still like them & still wear them anyway, I'm too far gone to give enough of a shit to go find a new make to fit my bony ass, just not important anymore.

As for their politics, also couldn't care less as I also lack the requisite attention necessary to try & wade through all that data every time I need to make a purchase whether it's pants, coffee or a toothbrush. People and companies are gonna bitch & moan about whatever they think they need to, political or otherwise, I'm not gonna let that tail wag the dog

Reactions: Ericict
While we're on the subject of jeans, I just want to say that the BEST jeans I've ever found are American Eagle jeans. Cheap, and the 2% spandex they put in them makes them absolutely amazing. I can wear a slim fit jean, but completely bend down, over, etc., and the jeans have enough flex that they don't restrict me in any way.

I'd never shop at American Eagle for anything other than jeans, but I promise, if you try them on, you'll be very impressed. They have a number of styles too, the ones I wear are the slim fit regular opening.

Then you'll probably like the "Black Rifle Coffee Co." :)
https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhZT9-Pj95AIVoyCtBh2zjwIuEAAYASAAEgIPJfD_BwE

Way back in the day, my grandma would take me school shopping at sears and I’d always get two pairs of Levi’s 501. I liked the way they fit. Now that I’m all grown up, I het my wranglers from meijers., because I’m a cheap bastard. And The Levi’s don’t fit the same as before. Probably because I’m old and fat now.

Way back in the day, my grandma would take me school shopping at sears and I’d always get two pairs of Levi’s 501. I liked the way they fit. Now that I’m all grown up, I het my wranglers from meijers., because I’m a cheap bastard. And The Levi’s don’t fit the same as before. Probably because I’m old and fat now.

501’s man those are some nice jeans! My favorite when I was a teen.

Reactions: Ericict
Didn't see any Wranglers with my pants. (Had to look)

Levis Denizen 236 regular fit ( From Target). Wasn't aware of Levi’s involvement in anti-Second Amendment activism?

Clearwater Outfitters Stretch Canvas Flat Front Cargo Pants, both Tan & Green (From Stein Mart) Good work pants with side zipper pockets.

Faconnable jeans, expensive but super comfy and light. Good summertime jean when shorts ain't allowed.

Have some American Eagle travel bags, didn't know they made clothes too.