Wrangler TJ Gas Overflow Fix

Ugh. Super irritated. I just did my first fill up after the "temporary fix" and it sprayed gas all over...as if I didn't go through the hassle (the thing was damn near glued on) to change out the filler hose at all. Sigh. I can't win with this machine.

Bottom Line. In case you have read through the thread this far and are on the fence my opinion is spend your time learning how to drop the tank

Definitely just drop the tank. It was one of the first things I did to mine and I knew very little about Jeep repairs at the time. My pointers are in post #246 of this thread for anyone interested. Just run the gas tank as close to "E" as possible.

• Love
Reactions: sideproject
It is a damn good thing they don't give me control of the fucking ban hammer.

That’s the MrBlaine I remember!

I moved out of Cali a year ago and my TJ has become a garage queen.

But occasionally I get an email from this forum so I decided to open it this morning.

I spent a little bit of time posting my experience on this subject.

And then the next post some knucklehead starts talking about the ac delco filler tube hack, lol.

Folks, if you have a 2005 or 2006 TJ, and it stops accepting gas, you HAVE to drop the tank and do the sand down the plastic thingy trick. Period.

This tool and an appropriate size piece of plywood will make the job a lot easier. The hardest part is disconnecting fuel lines and electrical connectors.

https://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-low-lift-transmission-jack-61232.html

I'd be curious to see how many of us would survive.

If you are one of those who adds air daily to a tire with a slow leak instead of fixing the tire, probably won't make it. The purpose of forums is to educate and learn. If you are too fucking stupid to do that, go away.

Reactions: Long Rider
Guess I am the only one that just got really good at guessing how much gas it would take to fill... Slightly kidding, I need to drop the tank here soon.

I need to do it too but I've been waiting until I felt like dropping the money on a Savvy gas tank skid.

Maybe I'll just try to find the description of how to raise the stock tank skid one inch and do it sooner rather than later.

Same. Been putting it off since 2021. I did the GM filler hose, full knowing it was a bandaid, because I had the fuel filler hose disconnected already to install a body lift. It lasted a couple of months before it started burping at me again. It's still not as bad as it was before but my expectation is zero fuel spilled so I had planned to do the real fix over the winter.

I'm probably gonna modify the stock skid for a 1" tank lift instead of buying the savvy.

I got the same problem. So far, I have tried to time the filling and stop when it stops gurgling ... with mixed results. I was looking through this thread and saw the replacement parts. I was just wondering if the links are correct. They show GM parts, and as far as I know, Jeep is not GM, but Chrysler (Now Stellantis).

The other question I have is that the GM part that is listed here in various postings seems to be out of production. When I google it, I find another GM part: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S0G8BCK/?tag=wranglerorg-20 Has anybody tried this one?

I got the same problem. So far, I have tried to time the filling and stop when it stops gurgling ... with mixed results. I was looking through this thread and saw the replacement parts. I was just wondering if the links are correct. They show GM parts, and as far as I know, Jeep is not GM, but Chrysler (Now Stellantis).

The other question I have is that the GM part that is listed here in various postings seems to be out of production. When I google it, I find another GM part: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S0G8BCK/?tag=wranglerorg-20 Has anybody tried this one?

The answer is to re-read this very thread and return the GM stuff that doesn't fix the overflow problem.

I have the part if you’re interested.

• Dislike
Reactions: rasband

Just fix it right. It's easy and just takes a little time. The proper fix doesn't require any parts. You can replace the fuel pump while you're in there if you are so inclined.

Reactions: rasband