Wrangler TJ overheating help

Sounds like your issue is resolved.

The bubble in the coolant is definitely possible. Happened to me once (after I changed the radiator), and mine kept overheating when I would come to a stop.

So I believe it all started after I had my radiator replaced. I already replaced the fan clutch and tested it today and it seems fine but aI swear I used to hear it kick on real load and start to roar when stopped and it was hot. I still can't seem to hear it kick on like it used to. Maybe I'm crazy but I remember hearing a distinct audibal difference. Also I noticed after they removed the radiator it looks like some spacer/gaskets around it are missing I don't remember it having the gaps around it.

20180412_122934.jpg
20180412_122927.jpg
20180412_122934.jpg
20180412_122934.jpg
20180412_122927.jpg

is the thermostat opening up? the dude at the parts store said dont use the fail safe thermostats, seen problems with them. an find someone with a cap an ask to borrow it to see if thats the problem. tel youll borrow for only acouple days:)

Last edited:
So I looked at the level in the reservoir again. Looked ok. Took cap off to burp again for giggles and it looked like this. So I'm thinking small leek somewhere I'm missing. It to a lot of fluid and I burped it for a while. But why would the reservoir level look ok but it need a lot of fluid? Is that normal or could it be something else as well as a leek.
20180412_191243.jpg

Ok so as I expected everything is running fine now and the codes went away but themselves. So know I just have to find the small coolant leak. I have not seen any visible leaks. Any ideas?

So I think I finally figured it out tonight. I tried pressure testing it first but usually as my luck goes the universal kit did not have anything that would fit. I got some UV dye and light. After a day or two could not find anything. So I just left it alone for a couple weeks tell Temp started to run slightly over normal. Checked tonight and it was as bright as day. They dye really does work well. Rinsed engine of all dye just in case.

First pic is of the leak, you can see it in the corner right below the hose conection. The spot was actually dry but still glowed well. Second pic is of when I was burping it so you can see how well it glows.

The 1st pic... is that a bulge in the rad hose, next to the hose screw clamp?
If so it may be a weak spot. Hard for me to tell from the pic.
That's a common spot for the hose to weaken, especially if any prior overheating problems, because it's next to the hot engine.
I would replace the upper radiator hose.

I noticed that when I was looking at the pic as well. I'll have to look at it in the day to make sure. I think it's fine though. I think the clamp was kind of half way on half way off. I pushed it down about 3/4 inch and got clamp fully set past lip. I took that pic before I fixed it.

Reactions: KCsTJ