WRG winch lines, lets chat

A most valid point that everyone should consider. The impact buffering when used for towing someone is something of value for me.

I noticed that the last few times we have needed to tow someone and all we had was my TRE kinetic rope. It made the ordeal a bit nicer.

There are several good strap around chafe guards for climbing and rescue ropes that would and do work well. As I stated, we've used a folded up sweatshirt many times over a sharp rock in JV with zero ill effect to either, garment or winch line.

It just needs to be thick enough that the high point load of the line moving can't wear through the guard.

Ah, I missed it when this thread went 6 pages long while I was out wheeling instead of on the internet. ;)

I was expecting something known for both durability and low friction, like teflon or delrin. But I can't argue with real world testing.

I jumped into the kinetic rope thing pretty early (got my from Ricky at TRE) and I will say its what I grab nearly exclusively when I need to pull now. I have regulated my tow straps to tree savers. Ya'll know the kinda shit I get in tho...most of my wheelin is sand, snow, and mud. The point about flat towing it cannot be understated either...having a bit of stretch between the tow-er and the Tow-ee is a very nice luxury.

I jumped into the kinetic rope thing pretty early (got my from Ricky at TRE) and I will say its what I grab nearly exclusively when I need to pull now. I have regulated my tow straps to tree savers. Ya'll know the kinda shit I get in tho...most of my wheelin is sand, snow, and mud. The point about flat towing it cannot be understated either...having a bit of stretch between the tow-er and the Tow-ee is a very nice luxury.

A buddy bought me an ARB kinetic after I drug his rig across Drummond using a Harbor Freight tow strap.

Haven't needed to use it yet.

1662577816012.png

Reactions: DrDmoney and Mike_H
A buddy bought me an ARB kinetic after I drug his rig across Drummond using a Harbor Freight tow strap.

Haven't needed to use it yet.

View attachment 357678

Yup, my first kinetic is a strap also. Carry in my F350 tow rig. Only time it was used was when I loaned it to fellow campers, strangers, who'd gone off road and sank into a meadow in Montana (where they had no business going, legally) and came to my camp asking for help, after exhausting their tow strap attempts. I just sent him on his way asking only that he return the strap after the recovery.. I wasn't about to get muddy or supervise so I trusted that he'd return it, which he did with many thanks, but no beer.

Favor was returned when on another trip, I'd lost the key to my hitch receiver and had to borrow a sawzall from a stranger to get the hitch out of the back of my 5'er for my wife to tow a wheeler trailer home from Montana with her pickup.

Pay it forward is a wonderful thing when everyone practices it.

3-How many are okay with the slip knot and over wrapped tail style of anchoring?
So, if a guy were to want to do this, I’d there an easy explanation or how to? I did some digging and couldn’t really find anything that matches your description. My current line has a smashed aluminum tube that is bolted to the side of the drum. It’s also threaded, so the screw bottoms out on the aluminum before it gets tight to the drum

So, if a guy were to want to do this, I’d there an easy explanation or how to? I did some digging and couldn’t really find anything that matches your description. My current line has a smashed aluminum tube that is bolted to the side of the drum. It’s also threaded, so the screw bottoms out on the aluminum before it gets tight to the drum

Do a locked Brummel eye about 14" in from the end of the line and leave the tail out after a very short bury. Make the eye large enough for the end terminal (thimble or hook) to fit through. Eye goes over the top of the drum, around the backside, out forward under the drum. Other end goes through the eye, snugs up tight against current anchor side, tail lays across drum and gets taped down and cut to length drum width. As soon as you tension it, it will snug up tight but no matter what, you can't pull the line loose from the winch if you screw up.

Do a locked Brummel eye about 14" in from the end of the line and leave the tail out after a very short bury. Make the eye large enough for the end terminal (thimble or hook) to fit through. Eye goes over the top of the drum, around the backside, out forward under the drum. Other end goes through the eye, snugs up tight against current anchor side, tail lays across drum and gets taped down and cut to length drum width. As soon as you tension it, it will snug up tight but no matter what, you can't pull the line loose from the winch if you screw up.

Thanks! Makes total sense and kinda what I was thinking, without the technical terms!