Writing off toxic family

Who has done it and was it worth it? How many have kept the peace just to keep the inheritance money from parents? How many have said fuck it I don't care about the money I want my sanity? Interested to hear experiences

My short answer is that I specifically requested that my inheritance be distributed as they saw fit and I did not and would not accept one dime of it. And, I did not. They gave my address to the union for death benefite disbursement. I received a check for 600. Wrote void across the face and sent it back. My sister tried to have them issue it to her, they sent me another one instead for the same amount. I countersigned it and gave it to my neighbor to buy a new swamp cooler with since he was low on money and needed one.

Unfortunately just entering this realm, as my father is entering the end of life. I've always hoped we would handle this with grace, but I can see one of my siblings starting to get very focused on the material things. There's four of us, though and I'm pretty confident that the other three of us can keep things in check. Time will tell.

Not letting it define my future, though. No matter the value, it's not worth that.

Reactions: P man
For clarity purposes this is concerning my only sibling a brother who is a few years younger and has always been the baby. He is 45 years old and has never lived away from my parents his entire life. He and his wife are very greedy and have conned their way into people's lives and when they pass they are first in line to receive the money/goods. They are the type that will befriend an older couple and then when they pass clean them out.

My parents are still alive and have a will I'm place. I have not looked at the will nor do I care. I want nothing to do with my brother or his wife. It goes without saying there is a ton of back story that doesn't need spilled out here.

I am left wondering if it's even worth it? I worry they will clean the house out of all valuable possessions and manipulate the money from the will. Am I selfish for worrying about the money? Possibly but it's rightfully mine. But is the headache worth a few hundred thousand bucks at the most? Lots of things to think about

My apologies for having to do other stuff before I could get back to this. The answer to your question is not based on your brother and his wife. It is based on your relationship with your parents and what you want from them and what they want from you and or for you.

The easy answer is if there are material possession other than the home and property that they have decided you should have and that you are willing to accept, make arrangements to get them now or in the near future.

Go have a chat with them, explain your fears, have them put you in place as the executor of the will and then get ready for the fight with your brother if he decides to contest.

If you want nothing to do with them, then you have to find a way to reconcile being okay with walking away and letting the shitheads have it all. That takes a serious heart to heart reckoning with yourself to figure out if you can just say "fuck it", let them have it all. Sadly, that is also how you discover if you truly want nothing to do with your brother.

Small example is when my dad passed, my sister was the executor. My relationship with her was not far removed from yours with your brother. That changed when she got the executor job and then tried to get me to do it and then tried to manipulate me to visit by dangling my dad's guns I had given him over the years and several cases of ammunition as the carrot on a string. Oh, I'll meet you in Phoenix or someplace halfway so you can get the guns. No, they either come to me with no strings attached because you think I should have them or just keep them. There will be no visits to pick up anything.

It did not matter that the very first phone call about the whole mess started with me telling her that I did not want a single thing or any money. Ya'll decided long ago that I wasn't worth it since I could not be manipulated, that isn't going to change.

Where your and my bullshit may differ that makes it much harder for you is my relationship with my dad was shit. You sound like they matter to you and that will make it much harder.

That's we have been doing but it feels so fake and disingenuous

Well duh. That is because it is fake and disingenuous but it is that way to keep the peace and only the bigger man can do that. Petty pieces of shit always get free rein to be the lovable person in the good graces and they wear it so very well since their entire existence is based on being fake. It is hard to compete with that.

Some semi-related observations. I read a couple interesting books very similar in nature, “Die Broke” & “Die with Zero”, both similar methods of maximizing your enjoyment & finances while alive such that you leave nothing behind thus you’ve truly taken full advantage of all the fruits of your life’s labor. They don’t promote reckless spending by any stretch, rather, they give methods of assuring your financial security while also enjoying it.

There is a lot to them but apropos to this discussion the gist was not to ‘cut your kids out’, unless you want to, but rather the advice was if you want to ‘leave’ your kids money, there’s no reason to wait until you croak, give it to them now while you can actually watch and enjoy the help it gives them… makes perfect sense, because let’s face it, by the time most people receive an inheritance from their parents they’re pretty old themselves, they’ve already suffered through many of the difficult parts of life, the inheritance may for many just be some more digits in a bank account – couldn’t you have used that infusion more when you were in your 30’s when you needed a home, money to help raise the kids… I really like this idea, and have taken it to heart.

Can’t recall which book it was but it talked about the history of inheritance in the US, made sense, prior to the industrial revolution when we mostly lived on farms we of course needed our kids as a free workforce, the ‘inheritance’ was payback for many years of free labor which made perfect sense. During the industrial revolution when families fled the farm life for cities there was a dramatic reduction if not full elimination of ‘duties’ performed by kids, yet the tradition of leaving them whatever you had continued. No longer a sort of tacit bargained for exchange of present services for future consideration (the estate), it just became what it is today, sort of an ‘entitlement’ by birthright. Just like all entitlements it breeds contempt & bad blood, as displayed by the many comments on this thread & probably far more experiences most people have had.

I know people, I think we all probably do, that factor future inheritances into their financial plan which I find to be insane, there is simply no substitute for doing your own thing to insure the future you want; not that we have complete control over that, but comparatively speaking we have more control than whatever may happen with other people & their lives & assets…

My parents are still with us & since my dad retired almost 30 years ago, for our part my brother and I have repeatedly encouraged them to rip through it & enjoy their lives & be as comfortable as humanly possible while they’re here, & I’m pretty happy that they’ve done so, they worked so damn hard to get where they are & to give us the lives we have, they deserve to ‘die broke’ spending their last nickel while exhaling their last breath & I hope they succeed. I think by the time they had to stop travelling due to health issues they had taken nearly 30 trips all over Europe, they’ve had some of the most amazing experiences. Lately my old man is relegated to knocking down a few glasses of red wine & one big fat stogie every day as his enjoyment, hopefully he’s smoking some pricey black market Cubans.

I'm currently trying to keep the peace with my two sisters. My dad has cancer and has been given 2-3 years to live. My dad made me power of attorney and executor of the will because:
1. I'm the only one that has kids (3 kids)
2. My sisters hate each other. So much so that if they are in the same location, a physical fight is likely to happen.

I'm the youngest of the 3. My middle sister has tried to convince my dad that I'm not capable of being the responsible one. Her husband is also pushing this agenda and has tried to get my dad to change power of attorney to her. My dad is a retired attorney (stubborn) and has told her to stop asking. She's never shown an interest in having a relationship with my kids. When she bought a house recently, I tried to arrange to go over there and have lunch or dinner. She wouldn't give us a date to come over. She had a small wedding, myself and father weren't invited. I've only met her husband once when we had dinner a few days after the wedding.

My oldest sister has her own things going on and is a very difficult person to deal with. Some examples are: Pickup her restaurant order on Thanksgiving before she gets there. If I don't, she will never buy my kids birthday or Christmas presents. So yeah, that happened a few years ago and she no longer keeps in touch with my kids.

So it is sad that neither one of my sister's want to connect with my kids. I'd bet neither sister knows all 3 of their names. At least my wife's brother keeps in touch with them, sends birthday/Christmas presents, etc.

So for now, I'm trying to stay on the good side of both sisters as long as minimal effort will be enough. After my dad passes, I will try to keep in touch, but not sure I will. I expect to be sued by the oldest sister assuming my dad isn't going to leave her anything. I call both of them on their birthday. My middle sister calls me on my birthday. Other than that, we don't talk much unless it's something about my dad.

Last edited:
My parents are getting up in age and have written a will that I have learned I am the executor of, I have a sister that I am not very close to but we are cordial with each other when we are at my parents house. The will came up this Easter and she found out I had been named the executor of it and was not happy to say the least, she started saying that she wanted certain things of my parents because they wouldn't mean anything to me. My dad looked her straight in the eye and told her it was all laid out in the will and if she didn't like it he could write her out of the will next week, I quit letting her take up space in my head probably 45 years ago!!!!