XJ Parts That Fit TJs

Interesting post about interchangeability!

Got me thinking about my 97. Bought it last year and PO explained a brief vague story about an engine swap. Not a lot of background history, but the engine and AX-15 run pretty good. Already changed the oil/filter once, but it never occurred to me to research why this engine had a 90-degree oil filter adapter on the block. Thought it was just a 6-cyl feature because my 99 4-cyl doesn't have it.

Somewhere else on this forum I read that the XJ 6-cyl had the 90-degree oil/filter, so guess that means I have a hybrid XTJ ... ?

Anyway ... I understand there's build date information on the block, but is there somewhere that would definitively tell me that the block came from an XJ (as opposed to coming from a TJ that just has a 90-degree adapter installed)??

Not really important ... so far everything's been great with the block and tranny. Just curious.

Interesting. Someone on here (@mrblaine?) may know. And if you learn anything interesting about the 97 model, be sure to drop it here.

the 2.8 GM engine isn't even worth its weight as a boat anchor. What a POS.

I had an '84 S-10 4x4 that I drove to and from work, 134 miles a day for 10 years. A bigger POS you've never seen. I hit 4 different deer, changed out the hood 3 times and quit putting the grill back in after the 2nd, but I just couldn't kill than damn 2.8. It didn't have enough power to blown itself up, and it was so ugly my kids refused to learn to drive a stick until I swapped for a Wrangler. Had over 300,000 miles on it when I traded.

I had an '84 S-10 4x4 that I drove to and from work, 134 miles a day for 10 years. A bigger POS you've never seen. I hit 4 different deer, changed out the hood 3 times and quit putting the grill back in after the 2nd, but I just couldn't kill than damn 2.8. It didn't have enough power to blown itself up, and it was so ugly my kids refused to learn to drive a stick until I swapped for a Wrangler. Had over 300,000 miles on it when I traded.
Consider yourself lucky. My father bought a 1984 S-10 Blazer. It was metallic brown with gold accents. It was the biggest POS. It had three sets of heads, four crank and bearing kits, seven transmission repairs, a complete transmission and a rear axle. This was all before 60k miles.
It was a horrendous turd.
My mother was the controller at a Chevy dealership and had a GM rep come look at it. They were going to Do a buy back on it, but only offered like 3500.00 for it.
My parents ended up trading it because the trade in value was a lot more than the buy back price.

Another thread recently reminded me of this one. Bumping it for more ideas, which I'll add to the OP to keep a list.

The front suspension is the same (control arms, track bar, steering linkage). I believe some of the interior accessories switches are the same. 231 transfer case should be the same. A guy could harvest an engine harness and come up with all kinds of connectors and stuff (like the PDC) that I'm sure are the same.

Reactions: SSTJ
Need some transmission info in here. I’m no expert, but I believe quite a few years of the AX15 transmission will fit a 2.5/4.0 in various applications. XJ/TJ/MJ, whatever.

Now I want to put a 2WD AX15 in a TJ and do some lowering tomfoolery… hmm

Need some transmission info in here. I’m no expert, but I believe quite a few years of the AX15 transmission will fit a 2.5/4.0 in various applications. XJ/TJ/MJ, whatever.

Now I want to put a 2WD AX15 in a TJ and do some lowering tomfoolery… hmm

Interesting. If so I'll add it to the original post.

The front suspension is the same (control arms, track bar, steering linkage). I believe some of the interior accessories switches are the same. 231 transfer case should be the same. A guy could harvest an engine harness and come up with all kinds of connectors and stuff (like the PDC) that I'm sure are the same.

It varies across years, but there is a ton of interchangeability on much of the sensors/wiring in particular. I have 3 TJs and XJ buddy has 2 TJs and 2 XJs so I finally made a google doc that shows all the common problem sensors across all TJ & XJ years, because it’s sometimes convenient to troubleshoot an XJ part on a known running TJ for instance.

It varies across years, but there is a ton of interchangeability on much of the sensors/wiring in particular. I have 3 TJs and XJ buddy has 2 TJs and 2 XJs so I finally made a google doc that shows all the common problem sensors across all TJ & XJ years, because it’s sometimes convenient to troubleshoot an XJ part on a known running TJ for instance.

Wow, care to share that? Or any info/details and I'll add it to the list in the original post.

Wow, care to share that? Or any info/details and I'll add it to the list in the original post.

It's kinda massive and it's a work in progress. It started out as a sensor troubleshooting guide, but I haven't gotten too far on it (and some of it is just some stream-of-consciousness notes on the topic). I just looked, and I guess I only have the XJ components done for the 98 & 99, which are the ones we work on all the time. I also have in mind to coalesce the places where they are they same to simplify the document. It's generally of this form, but I'm not sure if it really fits into what you're trying to do in this thread (and I love what you're doing in this thread).

I don't love opening up this document for the world to see my thought processes in-flight, but if somebody finds it helpful then who am I to keep it from the masses. I mean, it's 85% just the connectors section of the FSM copy/pasted across the years. The limiting factors are my time/interest & access to XJ FSMs.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wlxDRZywkrvNbZpmIiqw8EhMMfRlvc-yfKVzfL98IGs/edit?usp=sharing

1702310856816.png

Last edited:
Wonder if this info could be relayed to the guy in Tennessee with the huge XJ junkyard so he can help some TJ owners.

It's kinda massive and it's a work in progress. It started out as a sensor troubleshooting guide, but I haven't gotten too far on it (and some of it is just some stream-of-consciousness notes on the topic). I just looked, and I guess I only have the XJ components done for the 98 & 99, which are the ones we work on all the time. I also have in mind to coalesce the places where they are they same to simplify the document. It's generally of this form, but I'm not sure if it really fits into what you're trying to do in this thread (and I love what you're doing in this thread).

View attachment 481557

Wow, interesting. That looks great. Well, I'll add a link in the original post to this pic as a reference/reminder of what you're putting together. So at least others will know to ask if they think you might have the info they need.

• USA Proud
Reactions: hear
Wow, interesting. That looks great. Well, I'll add a link in the original post to this pic as a reference/reminder of what you're putting together. So at least others will know to ask if they think you might have the info they need.

I added a viewer link to my doc in that earlier post.

:love:

Wow. I haven't done much work with sensors, but this looks very comprehensive and so nicely laid out. Really impressive. Thanks for sharing.

Well, the goal is certainly for it to be comprehensive. It's not there yet. "Try changing the CPS" is severely lacking on the scientific method, so I hoped to have some in-depth troubleshooting guides to avoid mindlessly replacing sensors without first proving what was actually failing. But obviously the scope has expanded, and now it's further from being complete. But I do update it regularly still.