Ya'll I'm Scared

Alright so there are too many to reply all at once but I'll break it down into the key points here.

1. I am not looking to ship the Jeep. As @Chapman4266 said, this is all about getting in the father son time while we can. I am getting very very busy with work and will soon always be far from my family. The Jeep is part of the trip really.
2. No I am not moving due to military reasons. I just was spending a lot of time on the east coast and always wanted a Jeep and a good deal came up on Barbara and I had the cash up front despite the fact that I knew I would have to drive or ship the Jeep home.
3. I am paying nothing on my TJ I was able to buy her straight up with no loan. #lovemyjob
4. Kinda want the memories of this spent in the Jeep not with her being towed behind me.
5. Nothing is wrong with Barbara as far as she is telling me and as far as I can tell. No lights, no issues, made some small upgrades so far. I can't see why she can't make the trip. I have already made the trip up and back to Northern Jersey and she handled those distances fine.
6. A new Jeep is just so enticing because it's a new Jeep. But Barbara is my first vehicle that I have truly owned so that's hard to let go of. But I know that in the future I can always get another TJ.
7. I will be taking a loan of roughly 25k if I go with option A.

@Mike_H What makes you say go with the 2018? And what is everyone elses opinion on the newer JKR's

Alright so there are too many to reply all at once but I'll break it down into the key points here.

1. I am not looking to ship the Jeep. As @Chapman4266 said, this is all about getting in the father son time while we can. I am getting very very busy with work and will soon always be far from my family. The Jeep is part of the trip really.
2. No I am not moving due to military reasons. I just was spending a lot of time on the east coast and always wanted a Jeep and a good deal came up on Barbara and I had the cash up front despite the fact that I knew I would have to drive or ship the Jeep home.
3. I am paying nothing on my TJ I was able to buy her straight up with no loan. #lovemyjob
4. Kinda want the memories of this spent in the Jeep not with her being towed behind me.
5. Nothing is wrong with Barbara as far as she is telling me and as far as I can tell. No lights, no issues, made some small upgrades so far. I can't see why she can't make the trip. I have already made the trip up and back to Northern Jersey and she handled those distances fine.
6. A new Jeep is just so enticing because it's a new Jeep. But Barbara is my first vehicle that I have truly owned so that's hard to let go of. But I know that in the future I can always get another TJ.

@Mike_H What makes you say go with the 2018? And what is everyone elses opinion on the newer JKR's
Personally my opinion is TJ > than JK. Its not, but I just cant get behind the JK, it was made in a junky era for Chrysler. If your gonna go new, wait for the JL prices to come down. Its modern and still a solid axle Jeep. Thats only MY opinion and to someone is wrong. P.S. I had a JL and it was wondrous, the TJ I have now is pretty cool, cant lie.

Is keep the TJ and drive it across the country an option? I've driven my TJ on 10+ 1000 mile road trips and I've only ever found one problem that stopped me (alternator went out in Salt Lake City).

I went on a trip with my Dad from Wyoming to Salt Lake to Moab to the Grand Canyon and back to Wyoming. Great trip with great memories. I'd definitely just drive across the country with your Dad.

Reactions: Classic>New

Because a 2018 Rubicon is superior is nearly every way to a TJ.

Would you need a loan for 25k+the sale of the TJ+Dad's money? Since the TJ is paid for... Buy the JK and ship the TJ. Never have too many Jeeps!

Is keep the TJ and drive it across the country an option? I've driven my TJ on 10+ 1000 mile road trips and I've only ever found one problem that stopped me (alternator went out in Salt Lake City).

I went on a trip with my Dad from Wyoming to Salt Lake to Moab to the Grand Canyon and back to Wyoming. Great trip with great memories. I'd definitely just drive across the country with your Dad.

Yea keep the TJ is an option. I can't see why my current Jeep couldn't make it.

Would you need a loan for 25k+the sale of the TJ+Dad's money? Since the TJ is paid for... Buy the JK and ship the TJ. Never have too many Jeeps!

Honestly, didn't think to ask that question. I will have to ask. I would need the loan with my dad's money and selling the TJ. But when it comes to taking the loan what's taking a 30k loan instead and keeping both like you said.

@jjvw and @gg1 I like where both of you are at. It's just hard to pass up an offer. If he is willing I may pitch the idea Mike had or if he will just let me put the 10k into the TJ once it's home.

Since you’re in the clear on the TJ and would need a $25K loan on the JKR, just take the $10K to upgrade the suspension and drivetrain on the TJ and you’ll be set. You could go pretty much all the way to 35’s with that budget. (AND IT WOULD BE PAID FOR)!

One thing I would not do is take on a car payment in exchange for $10k, unless it was somehow in my favor.

My Audi S5 makes my TJ a junker in every way on a trip. I love driving my TJ because it is like stepping back in time. The only vehicle I would trade or sell my TJ for is a midyear vette and I might do that at some point, but until then I drive my TJ more than my Audi S5. Both are manuals, but the S5 is so sophisticated you would have to break the law in a big way to push it at all and that would mean jail time if you get caught. What fun is in that. Sometimes older is just more fun and exciting. JKs are kind of ugly as well with the sagging plastic fenders. They just seem cheaper looking.

Since you’re in the clear on the TJ and would need a $25K loan on the JKR, just take the $10K to upgrade the suspension and drivetrain on the TJ and you’ll be set. You could go pretty much all the way to 35’s with that budget. (AND IT WOULD BE PAID FOR)!

That would be real nice. 10k is almost half of what it takes to get a TJ to where I want it.

One thing I would not do is take on a car payment in exchange for $10k, unless it was somehow in my favor.

That's probably my 2nd biggest factor. I really don't like the idea of putting myself in debt more than I need to.

My Audi S5 makes my TJ a junker in every way on a trip. I love driving my TJ because it is like stepping back in time. The only vehicle I would trade or sell my TJ for is a midyear vette and I might do that at some point, but until then I drive my TJ more than my Audi S5. Both are manuals, but the S5 is so sophisticated you would have to break the law in a big way to push it at all and that would mean jail time if you get caught. What fun is in that. Sometimes older is just more fun and exciting. JKs are kind of ugly as well with the sagging plastic fenders. They just seem cheaper looking.

I dig on the S5. I thought about that for a while but I want my fast car to be a BMW M2. I think I agree with you though. Old is just more fun at this point.

@jjvw and @gg1 I like where both of you are at. It's just hard to pass up an offer. If he is willing I may pitch the idea Mike had or if he will just let me put the 10k into the TJ once it's home.

Well if this is going to be a bonding trip, maybe you should tell your dad how you feel about your TJ and then maybe he will help you decide. If you feel he wants you to have the JK, that might be better than taking the TJ across the country. He might want you to have the new one and is pushing it a little? If that is the case, that might be more important than keeping the TJ. I have a feeling your dad might want you to have a new one. Not sure.

Personally, I wouldn't put $10K in your TJ. Heck I have maybe $4K in mine and that is tops. Not sure what my TJ is worth, but why dump a ton in an old TJ unless it is a very low mileage Rubi or something very special?

Well if this is going to be a bonding trip, maybe you should tell your dad how you feel about your TJ and then maybe he will help you decide. If you feel he wants you to have the JK, that might be better than taking the TJ across the country. He might want you to have the new one and is pushing it a little? If that is the case, that might be more important than keeping the TJ. I have a feeling your dad might want you to have a new one. Not sure.

Personally, I wouldn't put $10K in your TJ. Heck I have maybe $4K in mine and that is tops. Not sure what my TJ is worth, but why dump a ton in an old TJ unless it is a very low mileage Rubi or something very special?

He just doesn't want to break down on the trip is my grasp on the situation. It's just something no one really likes dealing with

I dig on the S5. I thought about that for a while but I want my fast car to be a BMW M2. I think I agree with you though. Old is just more fun at this point.

Mmm, I don't know. :)
06082017722.jpg

Turn down the money, take him in the TJ. If you break down, it will be a memory. The only time I ran out of gas was on a road trip with my mom to bury a family member. We were having such a good time I wasn’t paying any attention to the fuel gauge. (Yes I always watch my gauges) It made for a great memory and I wouldn’t trade it. (5mile walk, while she waited, into the next town at sunset and door to door in a town of 300-400 to ask for a gas can) just do it.

My 2 cents. Keep the TJ, drove it cross country, and put that $10K towards another daily driver vehicle. IMHO after having two JKUs as daily drivers I’ve been most satisfied after trading the JK for a nice car and buying a 15 yr old TJ that is awesome whenever I want to drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He just doesn't want to break down on the trip is my grasp on the situation. It's just something no one really likes dealing with

Well, I get that. If you have AAA, you could get it towed to a mechanic or something and if worse case, you could ship the Jeep and rent a car for the remainder of the trip. This is unlikely IMHO. Maybe have your Jeep gone over for such a trip and go for it. I know I would just drive mine to CA tomorrow and not even think about it.