Your first sip of alcohol?

Sea Cot

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
A few colleagues and I were comparing stories about our first taste of alcoholic beverages. Who the enablers were in each story were amusing. Let's compare stories by harnessing the powers of three and borrowing the Clue board game accusation- age, enabler, beverage.

9yrs old, crazy-ass aunt, Miller Lite. I asked for a sip, she obliged, and I just about puked. I didn't develop a taste for beer until my mid-20s, but damned if almost 40 years later I can still recall the experience when I have an occasional beer.

The first time I drank was by complete accident. I was in Jr. High, and staying at a friends place because his parents were away. There was a big pitcher of orange juice in the fridge that I had been drinking. I thought it tasted different, but didn't think much of it. Turns out it was his sisters OJ and vodka, lol. Made for some fun Mario Kart!

My dad made grashoppers for Christmas when I was young. Probably junior high or younger. It has peppermint schnapps and other alcohol in it as well as ice cream. The next time my older sister and I were left home alone we made our own batch in the blender.

Reactions: mushdogs
5 yrs old, we were stationed at Gitmo. Dad had a Vespa scooter he would ride from housing to work and back. There was a BBQ with a bunch of other CPO’s, and I swiped a bottle he had sitting on the storage box he’d built on the end of that scooter. Don’t remember the brand. Do remember the ass whupping. LOL!

My dad's favorite beer when I was young was Strohs. I remember getting a swig from him after dinner almost any time.

He also smoked Camel cigarettes. The last swig of Strohs I remember was when I snuck one from the bottle that he had already used as his ashtray. It would have been so much better if I had asked.

I grew up in the UK where alcohol isn't seen in the same light as it is in the states, I can't remember my first sip but I was probably pretty young (maybe around 8 or 9 if just a sip?), I know my cousin was sipping on my aunts wine from a young age.

My parents would always somewhat encourage wine or a drink with meals on the holidays, and in high school (in the states at this time) my house was the sort of go to house to drink at with my friends as - my parents really didn't care as long as no one was driving. It just didn't have the same stigma around it

Last edited:
I grew up in the UK where alcohol isn't seen in the same light as it is in the states, I can't remember my first sip but I was probably pretty young (maybe around 8 or 9 if just a sip?), I know my cousin was sipping on my aunts wine from a young age.

My parents would always somewhat encourage wine or a drink with meals on the holidays, and in high school my house was the sort of go to house to drink at with my friends as - my parents really didn't care as long as no one was driving. It just didn't have the same stigma around it

I wasn't sheltered much from alcohol either growing up. I don't recall a first sip, though it was probably wine. My indifference towards alcohol began at an early age. Beer never tasted good to me. Wines are ok. Whiskies and bourbons are good, but I just don't care enough to spend time and money on the pursuit. It doesn't help that I don't enjoy being intoxicated, so the incentive isn't there for me.

Reactions: Travis
At least from what I've been told, I was two years old, sitting at the pool in the Bahamas and my Dad gave me a sip of his beer. Immediately threw up all over him. Yup, I'm Irish.

I was prone to ear infections as a youngster. My mother's solution to the pain was an old family secret. She'd give me a small glass of rum and coke. After a while, the pain would subside. Imagine that.

NyQuil was always the best part of having a cold, as well. ;)

Dad was an alcoholic so no shortage of crappy beer around. I was sipping beer from probably 10 or so. Didn't get hammer jacked until 15. 12 pk of Bud did me in. Learned all about hangovers for the next couple days.:sick:

I don’t think this was the first time, but the first I recall... When in middle school my mom thought it would be a good idea to let me try some really old (no idea what old hard alcohol) as an attempt to turn me off from it for good. I recall trying to play it cool as if I liked it just to show her - but really it made me sick.

After that it was a while before trying anything more - probably wine with her and my step dad which also grew to beer. They were good at moderation and taught the same.

My mother was a raging alcoholic and Schafer beer was her drink of choice. So I grew to hate the smell of beer or the sight of it. But my dad gave me a sip of his Reingold beer when I was about 8 or 9. I hated it passionately and gagged.

And that has never changed. As an early teen (13-14) a bunch of us would party at “the picnic table” which was a spot in the woods where we would gather. One of our friends mother, who was crazy and had suffered a nervous breakdown a couple years before, would buy all the kids their alcohol. Anyway most of us would get a six pack of Michelob (sp?) beer and play drinking games (Quarters and One Brown Bear). I can vividly remembers secretly pouring part of my beers on the ground when nobody was watching. I just hated the taste.
Eventually instead of beer I ended up ordering blackberry or peach schnapps.
I don’t drink and haven’t had a drop in over 10 years. I don’t like being intoxicated and the only alcohol I can stand the taste of are “fufu” drinks like Daqueries and wine coolers.

Reactions: rasband and jjvw
Whoa, going way back! I remember a fishing trip with my Mom and Dad, so some time before age 4, where they forgot to bring anything for my brother and I to drink, so got a swig of some Genesee Cream Ale. I'm glad that didnt ruin my love of alcohol the rest of my life.

I don't remember it but there's pictures of me at about 5 and my grandfather letting me sip the foam off his beer and a little sip of the beer itself. I do remember being 11 or 12 and learning to play golf with grandpa and dad, every time out we would take a pull off a bottle of brandy or something of the like from the golf bag.

7 or 8 years old. Parents, my brother and I were visiting my parents friends on thanksgiving. Dinner was over and the adults had retired to the living room and kitchen. I decided I would go around the table and polish off everyone's left over wine glasses, don't recall how many glasses, do remember 1 was half full. Got really dizzy and then sick, of course the parents were trying to figure what had happened to me, didn't take them long when they found all the empty glasses and the fact that I had been staggering like a drunk.
To this day, my mom, still tells the story of her drunk son on the holidays.

Older brother, might have been 13-14 at the time and he was in his late 20s. We were in town for Xmas and I stayed at his place while everyone else stayed at my Grandma's. Budlight if I remember. Never did care for the taste until a number of years later. A beer sure does taste good after a stressful day of work.

Reactions: rasband
I was probably something like 5 years old and I asked my dad for a sip of his beer. He agreed and it took me many years to comprehend why adults were so obsessed with the stuff, haha.