You're kidding me, right?

Squatch

Master Thread Derailer
Supporting Member
A Democratic assemblyman in California was arrested Monday on suspicion of child cruelty after allegedly spanking his daughter. On Wednesday, he claimed that he had only done so as a means of punishment.

In an interview with the Fresno Bee, lawmaker Joaquin Arambula spoke about an incident at home Sunday night that led him to spank his 7-year-old. The following day, when she went to school, she allegedly told her teacher what had happened and expressed how she was upset about it, sparking an investigation by Child Protective Services (CPS).

“I disciplined her as a consequence to something she did. This is something that’s really rare for us. It’s a tool of last resort but it’s something that we do. And I spanked her bottom,” he explained. “She was pretty upset, and she struggled to be able to share her emotions, as I’m sure you can appreciate a 7-year-old will. But that’s all that happened.”

de75eef5f677639e907567161b9ef19f.png
Joaquin Arambula was arrested Monday on suspicion of child cruelty. (Photo: Fresno Police Department)
Still, Arambula was arrested on Monday night and accused of willful cruelty to a child. As of Wednesday, CPS and the Department of Social Services declared Arambula and his wife, Elizabeth, fit to bring their three children — aged 3, 6 and 7 — who had been staying with Arambula’s parents, back home.
“It was us disciplining — normal discipline to our child,” Arambula said. “And I’m in the midst of a process that is playing out as we speak.”
The Fresno Bee additionally reports, “Arambula thanked his daughter’s teacher, Fresno police and Child Protective Services for ‘doing their jobs’ and ‘following the process.’” Family psychologist Barbara Greenberg tells Yahoo Lifestyle that the incident was “handled beautifully.”
“Anything that hurts a child physically and emotionally, in my opinion, is abuse and should be reported,” Greenberg says. “Too often kids go to school looking for help and they’re not taken seriously. The school took this very seriously, as they should, and they did what they were supposed to do.”
As for the assemblyman’s actions, however, Greenberg says, “Nothing good comes from [spanking].”
“There are much, much better ways to teach your children, and losing control and putting your hands on a child, there’s nothing good that comes from it,” she says. “You don’t create kids with self-esteem and with the ability to handle frustration by spanking them.”
Arambula told the publication that he has no plans to resign. If convicted, the assemblyman could face up to six months in jail and possible probation.

Reactions: Shatto
“Anything that hurts a child physically and emotionally, in my opinion, is abuse and should be reported”

That’s very general. Could be anything from a scolding to making them stand in the corner for 5 minutes.
Wonder how the folks that believe In this, discipline their dogs?

Glad I’m not raising kids now. I’d be in jail for sure. When I was a kid, my dad handed out “correctional spankings” that increased in intensity with the seriousness of the offense and with age. That could range from a good whack accross the ass with his hand, or if more serious with a limb from a tree, yes and to a punch in the face when I was a teen. You see my dad was ex military and a truck driver so he knew how to take care of himself and felt that discipline was a means of toughening you up and making a man/adult out of you.

When I was under 10 I remember several times I left the correctional spanking with welts on my behind. The fist thing was threatened but never used until once when I was 15 and I got mad at dad and told him to F off.

I have no issues with what he did. Whenever I was about to do the wrong thing, it would weigh very heavy on my mind what dad would do if he found out. And usually that would sway me not to do it. I feel it made me a better person. And, yes, I loved my dad very much right up until he passed...

I spanked my kids too. Never did the fist thing. And never hit them anywhere but the rear. But they did fear my correctional spankings. Funny, neither of my adult kids needed to see a shrink or turned out to be serial killers. Neither have any kind of criminal record and are very successful/functional adults.

My son's mom (my second wife) has always been a very small, baby-faced woman. It was hard for even our young son to take her seriously when she was mad about something. As my son got older and more brazen, he'd challenge his mother on things, and became rather disrespectful. One day she called me at work, pretty angry about something he had said, and his general attitude that day toward her. So, I informed my boss that I needed to be gone for a spell, and I drove the 45 minute commute home. When I walked in the door, the drooped shoulders and shocked look on my boy's face said it all: "What are you doing home?" I explained to him that enough was enough, and that I was home to punish him for being so disrespectful to his mother, and to go in his room and wait for me. I told him he was going to receive five swats across his backside. He went to his room, and waited...

I made him wait for ten minutes. Within that time, the fear of the spanking was really getting to him. By the time I got in there, he was already crying. I delivered the punishment not in anger, and definitely in full control. I then went to the kitchen, made a cup of coffee, and drank it. When I finished it, I told my wife and son that I loved them, and drove the 45 minutes back into work.

My son is almost 27 now, and still recalls that event. Was he emotionally crippled by it? Not likely. Should I have gone to jail for my form of discipline? You tell me. Given the choice of raising kids in this day and age, I'd likely choose a vasectomy.

I pray for you folks out there with young ones.

I'm sure he would have been arrested in Oregon and Washington too.

This story wants makes me want to move back to western NC (something I already want to do).

Remember those freaking wooden spoon and forks that hung on the wall? Yeah my ass felt that spoon a few times.

My mom broke a wooden spoon because I put my hands back to protect my ass. I’d never did that again. Hurt my knuckles and she was super pissed I broke it which led to more of a whooping lol

I dont have kids but I am all for it. Nobody disciplines their children anymore, its always "he/she is expressing themselves and I support it", then wonder why they turn out to be dicks in life with real problems.

Remember those freaking wooden spoon and forks that hung on the wall? Yeah my ass felt that spoon a few times.

My mom broke one on my behind once. I was probably 13 at the time. We started laughing when it happened and still laugh about it to this day. I deserved it, I was wrong and I knew it. I never held it against her. It didn't "trigger" me. It did teach me to be accountable for my actions and accept what I had coming to me. Almost like it made me grow up to be a responsible person.

I got the cane in school a few times....still remember the headmaster saying "Are you right or left handed?" then whack !!! it stung for hours.....
On side note never tell the headmaster that you are left handed, so you get the cane on the right hand and then tell your teacher you cant write anything for the rest of the afternoon...….you will end up back in the headmasters office haha

My mom broke a wooden spoon because I put my hands back to protect my ass. I’d never did that again. Hurt my knuckles and she was super pissed I broke it which led to more of a whooping lol
That was often the tool of choice within my household growing up. I had (still do) a very high pain tolerance and never gave my parents the "satisfaction" of how much spankings hurt, ha ha. That usually just lead to heavier swats. One day my mother spanked me with her favorite wood spoon and proceeded to break it on my backside. Which then she got even more disgruntled about so I got sent to my room until my dad came home from work. I was probably around 5 years old when that happened and still remember it. I don't think they ever spanked me out of anger or rage and always in control. And I know full well I deserved everyone I got.

Reactions: Artemis
My old man would give me the option between grounding or spanking, i always took the spanking. For him once the spanking was done the case was closed and we put it in the past. He was very fair and I had it coming.

My daughters are 5 and 3 and I spank them if needed or some good old manual labor.

Reactions: Artemis and JMT
I got the cane in school a few times....still remember the headmaster saying "Are you right or left handed?" then whack !!! it stung for hours.....
On side note never tell the headmaster that you are left handed, so you get the cane on the right hand and then tell your teacher you cant write anything for the rest of the afternoon...….you will end up back in the headmasters office haha
How do you know this ???

Reactions: Kiwi TJ