You're kidding me, right?

It’s clear the people quoted in the article never got spanked. It’s about time they did. Reminds me of the scene in McClintock where McClintock’s twenty something year old daughter gets taken over the knee and swapped with the nearest object at hand. She deserved it. That didn’t seem to bother Hollywood in the John Wayne days. Boy how things have changed.

“Spare the rod, spoil the child.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi TJ
That's why now a days you have to keep your children's discipline in your house without any prying eyes. And if you'r children don;t like it, tell them to go live with someone else. Yeah, I'm old school!!!!!

Reactions: JMT
That's why now a days you have to keep your children's discipline in your house without any prying eyes. And if you'r children don;t like it, tell them to go live with someone else. Yeah, I'm old school!!!!!
Sounds like that's what the man in Fresno CA did but his daughter went and told her teacher and the teacher told CPS.

Sounds like that's what the man in Fresno CA did but his daughter went and told her teacher and the teacher told CPS.
I'm not lecturing you here at all, just using your post as a platform to put some ideas out there. I agree with everything you're saying and most on this thread.

The issue is more than 'spanking' as a general term which may convey any number of ideas to people like hitting, striking, punishing, et al. Corporal discipline done properly is a proper and effective method of discipline during early stages of development. It starts with the mother simply thumping the child lightly when they bite her nipple and things like that. It is obviously not applied as harshly on a two year old as it is on a nine year old. In other words, developmental stage is a consideration. Also, one needs to think about the use of the hand vs a tool and what tool. An open hand is used to slap, a closed hand is a fist and is used to fight. Clearly a closed fist is a no go for disciplining a child. You're not fighting the child. Probably it is best to not use the hand at all and to use a tool. Different tools have different consequences. In my research as a parent I concluded that a straight rod, like a wooden dowel rod of ~3/8" is the best for stinging sharply (on a bare butt) without leaving a whelp. Obviously, using something like a bat or belt can result in unpredictable outcomes. I say consistency is a key and training your child why (but at younger ages the explanation is not very helpful to them and you will just frustrate them because their reasoning skills are not there, spank them and let them go play). When they reach about 13 or 14 this form of discipline is no longer of much value because of obvious reasons like physical development but also their heightened ability to reason, so other forms of discipline (not punishment), should be employed. On the difference between punishment and discipline, punishment grows out of anger while discipline grows out of love. The latter is very useful and important in shaping people into responsible, productive, disciplined humans.

Reactions: lowranger

Then let her go live in foster care...... she asked for it. If'd I'd have even thought about calling the police for being disciplined by my parents growing up, my father would have handed me my suitcase and told the cops to take me... AND NEVER THOUGHT TWICE ABOUT IT!!!!!

A Democratic assemblyman in California was arrested Monday on suspicion of child cruelty after allegedly spanking his daughter. On Wednesday, he claimed that he had only done so as a means of punishment.

In an interview with the Fresno Bee, lawmaker Joaquin Arambula spoke about an incident at home Sunday night that led him to spank his 7-year-old. The following day, when she went to school, she allegedly told her teacher what had happened and expressed how she was upset about it, sparking an investigation by Child Protective Services (CPS).

“I disciplined her as a consequence to something she did. This is something that’s really rare for us. It’s a tool of last resort but it’s something that we do. And I spanked her bottom,” he explained. “She was pretty upset, and she struggled to be able to share her emotions, as I’m sure you can appreciate a 7-year-old will. But that’s all that happened.”

View attachment 67893 Joaquin Arambula was arrested Monday on suspicion of child cruelty. (Photo: Fresno Police Department)
Still, Arambula was arrested on Monday night and accused of willful cruelty to a child. As of Wednesday, CPS and the Department of Social Services declared Arambula and his wife, Elizabeth, fit to bring their three children — aged 3, 6 and 7 — who had been staying with Arambula’s parents, back home.
“It was us disciplining — normal discipline to our child,” Arambula said. “And I’m in the midst of a process that is playing out as we speak.”
The Fresno Bee additionally reports, “Arambula thanked his daughter’s teacher, Fresno police and Child Protective Services for ‘doing their jobs’ and ‘following the process.’” Family psychologist Barbara Greenberg tells Yahoo Lifestyle that the incident was “handled beautifully.”
“Anything that hurts a child physically and emotionally, in my opinion, is abuse and should be reported,” Greenberg says. “Too often kids go to school looking for help and they’re not taken seriously. The school took this very seriously, as they should, and they did what they were supposed to do.”
As for the assemblyman’s actions, however, Greenberg says, “Nothing good comes from [spanking].”
“There are much, much better ways to teach your children, and losing control and putting your hands on a child, there’s nothing good that comes from it,” she says. “You don’t create kids with self-esteem and with the ability to handle frustration by spanking them.”
Arambula told the publication that he has no plans to resign. If convicted, the assemblyman could face up to six months in jail and possible probation.

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil..." (Some guy named "Isaiah" - 4000 years ago).

This guy was pretty insightful. Little did he know he was looking forward, in linear fashion, into the 21st Century.

We have arrived.............................:oops:

Reactions: Squatch
I don't know, I'm not some PC person buy any means, nor am I one of those cry babies that spends all his time complaining about things that outrage me (i.e. everyone on social media).

However, I would also never spank or hit my kids, ever. If someone else wants to raise their kids that way, then who am I to say it's wrong. I'm just saying that I would never do it personally.

The fact that the guy got arrested for it though... yeah, that's absurd. Definitely not going to look good on his political resume.

Reactions: J R
I like how @Chris put it, like I stated earlier I do spank my kids or make them work it off... for my household the punishment fit the crime.

Example trying to open the pool fence, closest that have safes with firearms, trying to go out front with out asking that’s a swat no questions BOTH kids cause they roll together... fighting over toys or making a unneeded mess we’ll go clean that up and while your at it clean your room.

But that my wife and I am sure people don’t agree but I would never give unwanted parenting advise and I would like to be giving the same curiosity.

I have super good, awesome, polite kids so I’m doing something right

Reactions: Chris
I would never give unwanted parenting advise and I would like to be giving the same curiosity.

I think that's part of the issue these days. Everyone is trying to just force parenting advice on everyone else, when no one asked for it to begin with. We can thank social media and the "news" for all that.

Reactions: J R and 801 Driver
I'm not lecturing you here at all, just using your post as a platform to put some ideas out there. I agree with everything you're saying and most on this thread.

The issue is more than 'spanking' as a general term which may convey any number of ideas to people like hitting, striking, punishing, et al. Corporal discipline done properly is a proper and effective method of discipline during early stages of development. It starts with the mother simply thumping the child lightly when they bite her nipple and things like that. It is obviously not applied as harshly on a two year old as it is on a nine year old. In other words, developmental stage is a consideration. Also, one needs to think about the use of the hand vs a tool and what tool. An open hand is used to slap, a closed hand is a fist and is used to fight. Clearly a closed fist is a no go for disciplining a child. You're not fighting the child. Probably it is best to not use the hand at all and to use a tool. Different tools have different consequences. In my research as a parent I concluded that a straight rod, like a wooden dowel rod of ~3/8" is the best for stinging sharply (on a bare butt) without leaving a whelp. Obviously, using something like a bat or belt can result in unpredictable outcomes. I say consistency is a key and training your child why (but at younger ages the explanation is not very helpful to them and you will just frustrate them because their reasoning skills are not there, spank them and let them go play). When they reach about 13 or 14 this form of discipline is no longer of much value because of obvious reasons like physical development but also their heightened ability to reason, so other forms of discipline (not punishment), should be employed. On the difference between punishment and discipline, punishment grows out of anger while discipline grows out of love. The latter is very useful and important in shaping people into responsible, productive, disciplined humans.
Well put....I agree.

Then let her go live in foster care...... she asked for it. If'd I'd have even thought about calling the police for being disciplined by my parents growing up, my father would have handed me my suitcase and told the cops to take me... AND NEVER THOUGHT TWICE ABOUT IT!!!!!
I know! I just don't get it now days...kids are starting to learn they can get you in trouble for discipling them. Then go live somewhere else....here...let me help you pack. See how they would like that.
I was spanked as a child and I deserve it....I turned out okay.
I swatted my daughter a few times as she was growing up.....she turned out great! Master's degree in teaching.

My nephew threatened to call CPS on his mom (my sister) after she punished him for something. She picked up the phone and said "Here, let me dial it for you." That pretty much shut him up.

I don't believe in using a switch or "tool" for spanking. A swat across the backside with an open hand is acceptable, in my way of thinking. For those who do not believe in spanking, that's fine. Just don't be too quick to judge those of us who do. There truly are multiple ways to discipline a child. It seems that the question is what is considered reasonable?

Reactions: lowranger
My dad never pulled off his belt and give me a few swats for anything I did not deserve. And he never had to do it twice for me doing the same thing. I did manage to keep finding a few new other things to add to the list of remembering not to do for a while. I guess I was a slow learner, but I got quicker after a while.

Now it seems kids who have had little or no dicipline can't realize they sometimes need to cope with a situation where they have to do what they are supposed to do. They go berserk and we have to feed them drugs. A belt or bar of soap might have been more effective when they were younger to help them get their "mind right" for later life.

Sounds like this guy was just trying to be a good dad. Hope it works out ok for all of them.

I was spanked plenty as a kid. With everything from the hand, belt, switch, hose, etc. Parents, extended family and teachers. I even got one from the produce guy at the local market at about 5 years old. I know I deserved them all. The funny thing is, they didn’t work on me. If I was told “do this and you’re getting a spanking” I’d weigh the options and usually decide to do what I wanted and take the consequences. The punishment that always worked was to take my freedom, first my bicycle and later my car keys. For this reason I’ve never needed to spank my kids. Now I have two smart and respectful teens. I’m not against spanking, but I know it just doesn’t work on all kids.