You're Not The Only One (A Thread About Fails)

my very first.

I was 16 and tapped somebody's back bumper pulling out of the high school parking lot. The exit went over a tin horn so I was going uphill and the girl in front of me was downhill, so the force on my bumper had a vertical/up component that pushed it up into the pop-up headlight of my 1985 Toyota Celica, rendering it stuck closed and inoperable, and busted the driver turn signal.

View attachment 477561

Cargo pants were only slightly more in style than they are today.

So I come home and immediately pull the bumper cover and bumper off, make some phone calls and find a bumper and a turn signal at a salvage yard on the south side of OKC, and go pick it up in my dad's Ranger. Come home and install it and guess what, it's exactly where the old one was because it wasn't the bumper that was bent, it was the freaking FRAME. I found a guy with a frame rack and paid him $50 to straighten it out, which I think was half what I paid for the bumper.

It's almost funny to think about those dollar amounts now but when I could buy a tank of gas for $12 and a good burger at a sit down restaurant for $8 including tip, wasting $100 on a bumper I didn't need was financially crippling.

Four years later I was building my first motor, for my '76 Datsun 280Z. I had set the timing chain and mounted the oil pan, valve cover was still off. A buddy stopped by and I showed him what I was working on and turned the motor a bit by the crank pulley bolt so he could see the cam turn (like myself a few weeks before, he was intrigued but had never seen inside a motor before). We talked a while and he left and I got back to work. Came back to see the link on the timing chain definitely NOT lining up with the dot on the cam gear, completely forgetting I had spun the engine. Thought I'd somehow screwed up the timing and tore into it only to remember I'd moved things, after I had the oil pan and timing cover off. A few bucks in new gaskets and put it back together.

View attachment 477562

I'm happy to report my metabolism has slowed since then and I no longer weigh 155lbs.

A couple more weeks later I took the car for its break-in drive and warm-up for setting the valve lash. Pulled the valve cover to find milkshake. Went ahead and set the valve lash, then had the motor back out in about 45 minutes and somehow figured out the leak was in the timing cover gasket (because the water pump mounts to the timing cover and the coolant passes through the timing cover gasket on the way into the block) and I've believed ever since that it was probably sealed just fine before I took it off to fix the timing that was already fine.

Man I like that you were young and not afraid to tackle stuff- very cool.

I guarantee you’ve been the kind of guy that can take care of his family and can fix his wife’s flat tire.

We need more of that today.

Reactions: ragdoll
I was new to the forum and I tried to explain how I was interpreting a certain mechanical subject to Blaine. It didn't go well for me... (Thank goodness it was in a PM) But there, I admitted it and now I feel better....
That's extremely easy to understand, it's easy for that to happen.

For my faux pas I was still new to the TJ in 1996-97 and needed something to help my offroad traction. I did not even know my Dana 35 was too weak when I had the then brand-new Detroit Gearless Locker installed which was a lunchbox locker. It lasted maybe 3-4 weeks before it grenaded and took the carrier with it. I was a noisy 20 mile drive up to the shop that installed it, luckily the axle shafts were still ok. Fortunately Detroit Stepped up and paid for the damage including my choice of traction aiding devices, I wisely (due to my Dana 35) chose a Detroit Truetrac which held up.

Then I discovered how useless a Detroit Truetrac is for tougher forms of offroading. Then an acquaintance sold me a nearly TJ Dana 44 to which I added a Detroit Locker. Life was finally good lol.

Man I like that you were young and not afraid to tackle stuff- very cool.

I guarantee you’ve been the kind of guy that can take care of his family and can fix his wife’s flat tire.

We need more of that today.

I wish i could say it was just me being awesome, but the truth is I'd had my car for like 4 weeks and couldn't stand the thought of driving it around all busted up like that, and my dad had been very clear about the vehicle being my responsibility so I knew I needed to have some answers and progress before he got home from work. :ROFLMAO:

Most recently I tackled my rear main seal. It's leaking worse than before.

That's next on my list. But first, I have to continue to break shit while I do a valve cover gasket replacement, thoroughly clean up any oil residue after that, and then see if the oil leak continues, which points to the RMS.

I wish i could say it was just me being awesome, but the truth is I'd had my car for like 4 weeks and couldn't stand the thought of driving it around all busted up like that, and my dad had been very clear about the vehicle being my responsibility so I knew I needed to have some answers and progress before he got home from work. :ROFLMAO:

That’s good stuff.

That is accountability.

That molds people.

1985 Toyota Celica

Still want an '85 Celica Supra.

163062803888c98a282CA54823-29EC-48E9-BF78-68D297EE4CA6-scaled.jpeg.jpg

Cargo pants were only slightly more in style than they are today.

Screw style, cargo pants are comfortable and functional in more ways than one. :)

Still want an '85 Celica Supra.

View attachment 477564

Screw style, cargo pants are comfortable and functional in more ways than one. :)

it's a bucket list car for me, for sure. I had the chance to buy one for $3500 when that was a little overpriced and I still kick myself for not doing it. I called the guy on the phone and he sent me photos in the mail.

I still wear cargo shorts, but when full length coverage is called for, it's pretty much denim jeans every day now. I've been wearing some tennis shoes lately because I've worn through the leather on my boots and don't want to spend for new ones until after Christmas.

Reactions: chili_pepper
That’s good stuff.

That is accountability.

That molds people.

I'm working on passing it down to my boys...my oldest would do the same thing for completely different motivations...he'd be thrilled at having an excuse to take it apart. I'm trying to help him find the balance between his thirst for knowledge and the restraint to not quench that thirst by taking stuff apart that isn't his. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: chili_pepper
I'm working on passing it down to my boys...my oldest would do the same thing for completely different motivations...he'd be thrilled at having an excuse to take it apart. I'm trying to help him find the balance between his thirst for knowledge and the restraint to not quench that thirst by taking stuff apart that isn't his. :ROFLMAO:

Well first thing you tell him is son you’re in the Walmart parking lot you don’t even know these people....

Well first thing you tell him is son you’re in the Walmart parking lot you don’t even know these people....

if you only knew how close to reality that actually was. :ROFLMAO: Me and his brother are the usual victims. We can't go to the store without him picking out everything he wants, but he doesn't actually want any of it, he wants the motors or the LED's or the buttons or the power supply for whatever contraption he has on his mind to build when he gets it home and takes it apart. He's getting a Lego kit for Christmas that includes a motor, a servo, receiver and controller so he can just use those and not have to think about everything he needs to cannibalize.

He's 8. When he was 5, he walked over and knocked on our neighbors door and asked them if he could come in and look at their furnace. o_O

if you only knew how close to reality that actually was. :ROFLMAO: Me and his brother are the usual victims. We can't go to the store without him picking out everything he wants, but he doesn't actually want any of it, he wants the motors or the LED's or the buttons or the power supply for whatever contraption he has on his mind to build when he gets it home and takes it apart. He's getting a Lego kit for Christmas that includes a motor, a servo, receiver and controller so he can just use those and not have to think about everything he needs to cannibalize.

He's 8. When he was 5, he walked over and knocked on our neighbors door and asked them if he could come in and look at their furnace. o_O

That is absolutely hysterical- But look man you need to pay attention to that-

That is a level of mechanical interest and inclination that could lead to another Thomas Edison.

Cancer has not been cured.

Remember he is exhibiting a strength at an early age and that really gives you something to work with.

Not maintenance, tool, or repair related.....but.....

I've owned my 1999 since new. I've been stuck a couple times trying to cross creeks at night after some whiskeys but zero traffic accidents and no serious trail damage. Last year while taking the dogs out to our usual daily "Chuck-it" spot, I went around an icy corner, maybe 5 mph, and over steered. My front left wheel went right up an embankment and flopped the Jeep onto its passenger side. It happened so fast but was also like slow-mo....I had time to plead "no....no....no" as I watched the horizon go vertical. I wasn't even wearing a seatbelt. Dog and I were both okay and the Jeep just sustained some minor damage and added character. LOL.

IMG_20230103_165013088.jpg

Not maintenance, tool, or repair related.....but.....

I've owned my 1999 since new. I've been stuck a couple times trying to cross creeks at night after some whiskeys but zero traffic accidents and no serious trail damage. Last year while taking the dogs out to our usual daily "Chuck-it" spot, I went around an icy corner, maybe 5 mph, and over steered. My front left wheel went right up an embankment and flopped the Jeep onto its passenger side. It happened so fast but was also like slow-mo....I had time to plead "no....no....no" as I watched the horizon go vertical. I wasn't even wearing a seatbelt. Dog and I were both okay and the Jeep just sustained some minor damage and added character. LOL.
Did something like that too. It was Winter of 1973-74. I was driving my first Jeep, 1948 CJ2-A. I was on a residential street and hit a patch of black ice. I tried turning the wheel a little to the right to see if I could get off it. Nope. A little more... a little more... a little more. Then I hit the end of it with my wheel turned all the way to the right. SPIN!!! Wound up with the driver's side on the pavement. A woman came out of the house I was in front of to check on me, so I used her phone, (1973, no cell phones back then), to call a friend with a pickup and a tow chain. Pulled it upright and went on about the night.

Reactions: HaydukeLives!