ZJ Tie Rod Conversion

So in the parts above I’m not seeing where the drag link connects to the tie rod, am I missing something?

So in the parts above I’m not seeing where the drag link connects to the tie rod, am I missing something?

The tie rod connects to the drag link, which is the last link I posted. First hole when going left to right.

IMG_5196.png

I see it on the drag link, but the tie rod doesn’t have spot to connect, or so it seems.
View attachment 502473

The right side of that would connect to the hole on the drag link, then you would need the “tie rod end” for the threaded part of the tie rod that then connects to the steering knuckle.

edit: In that last picture you posted they are apparently calling the "tie rod" the "tie rod end". But this is what I would call the "tie rod end" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C59W7U/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The right side of that would connect to the hole on the drag link, then you would need the “tie rod end” for the threaded part of the tie rod that then connects to the steering knuckle.

Thanks, I was thinking the tie rod went all the way across. I just went out and looked. I’m a little tired been working on a lift install screwed up the drag link at the pitman arm and deciding to just replace the system all together since it 18 years old and 116K miles on it. I’ve got all in my cart now. Thank you for your help.

Reactions: JpZombie
Thanks, I was thinking the tie rod went all the way across. I just went out and looked. I’m a little tired been working on a lift install screwed up the drag link at the pitman arm and deciding to just replace the system all together since it 18 years old and 116K miles on it. I’ve got all in my cart now. Thank you for your help.

No problem, good luck!

So looking at this again, since I’m replacing the drag link I need two adjusting sleeves and two tie rods ends right? Are they the same part numbers so just make it two of each.

Reactions: Weasellee
So looking at this again, since I’m replacing the drag link I need two adjusting sleeves and two tie rods ends right? Are they the same part numbers so just make it two of each.

Correct.

Here is a decent photo from when I did my ZJ conversion, for you to utilize as a waypoint.

1708405144524.png

Reactions: GPK03X
You can pick up everything in-stock at most Oreilly's, and have it done tomorrow.

Although, it is NOT Moog parts.

Thank you for the heads up, just ordered and now it’s going to need to set till I can’t get to it. Not next weekend our club has a snow trip planned. We’ve have two JKU.

Reactions: zachpeakee
The ZJ tie rod upgrade is a simple, cheap, and effective upgrade for your Jeep Wrangler TJ. Found on the V8 model Grand Cherokee ZJ, this tie rod is substantially larger than the stock TJ tie rod. The threaded section of the factory tie rod end measures .65" in diameter. The ZJ end measures 1".

Below you'll find some photos comparing the ZJ tie rod (and tie rod end) to the stock TJ tie rod (and tie rod end). You can see that the ZJ tie rod and tie rod ends are much, much larger than the TJ tie rod setup. This ultimately means you'll have a much stronger steering setup (which isn't a bad thing if you like to get your tie rod hung up on rocks, logs, and the likes).

View attachment 20181

View attachment 20182

Parts Required
The ZJ tie rod conversion parts can be purchased for a very reasonable price on Amazon. You'll need the following parts:
The following parts are optional if you'd like to replace your drag link at the same time, with quality replacement parts. This is a great option if you want to refresh everything, including the drag link (not a bad idea if your Jeep has higher miles). Though the drag link will still remain the stock diameter, (the ZJ and TJ drag links are the same diameter) it will provide you with a completely refreshed steering setup, which is great for preventative maintenance.

Notes
DS1238 is cheaper but equivalent to the DS1430. Also, you may need 2 of the short ends and coupling sleeves depending on how much you're replacing.

Another option is to purchase the the Crown HD steering kit which includes the beefier ZJ tie rod, as well as a new drag link. This includes everything you need, all in one "kit".

Torque Specs
Drag Link to Pitman Arm Nut - 81 Nm / 60 ft.lbs.
Drag Link to Knuckle Nut - 47 Nm / 35 ft.lbs.
Drag Link Clamp Bolts - 49 Nm / 36 ft.lbs.
Tie Rod Clamp Bolts - 49 Nm / 35 ft.lbs
Tie Rod Knuckle - 47 Nm / 35 ft.lbs
Tie Rod to Drag Link - 75 Nm / 55 ft.lbs.

Conclusion
Last but not least, this is a good article worth reading if you're interested in the various possible steering upgrades for your TJ: What is the best steering for my Jeep Wrangler TJ?

This is an incredibly easy modification to do, and can be done while your Jeep is on the ground with the wheels still on, not even jacked up at all. It's really that easy!

I’m curious…I did my conversion but is the steering stabilizer required? With all of the other new components what’s is the benefit of the stabilizer?

I’m curious…I did my conversion but is the steering stabilizer required? With all of the other new components what’s is the benefit of the stabilizer?

Technically speaking you don’t even need a steering stabilizer. If you do add one a cheap one is all you need. The expensive ones are just for bling and don’t do anything more than a cheap one does.

I just ordered the parts last night. I am planning on using the existing one, any issues with that?

My understanding is that the steering stabilizer is there for when you hit something like a large pothole/have a sudden joint in the suspension/steering. Would you actually notice the difference between having one or not having one? I dunno. But with this steering mod (ZJ tie rod conversion) you can buy the recommended Monroe one for $35, why not just put it on? 🤷‍♂️

Steering Stabilizer
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C53XRK/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The Steering Stabilizer actually isn't as much of a "stabilizer" as it is a dampener.

It's purpose is not to "stabilize" anything.
It just helps dampen the steering system, so that you don't get all of the harshness felt through the wheel.

In a properly aligned steering system, a stabilizer offers no benefit, aside from dampening the left/right steering characteristics.
(potholes, ruts, etc.)

As others have said, buy a cheap Monroe, don't waste money on anything expensive.

Reactions: JeepGirl1013
The Steering Stabilizer actually isn't as much of a "stabilizer" as it is a dampener.

It's purpose is not to "stabilize" anything.
It just helps dampen the steering system, so that you don't get all of the harshness felt through the wheel.

In a properly aligned steering system, a stabilizer offers no benefit, aside from dampening the left/right steering characteristics.
(potholes, ruts, etc.)

As others have said, buy a cheap Monroe, don't waste money on anything expensive.

I have one already that seems like it’s in good condition. I just hadn’t put it back on because I was hoping to see that after the upgrade that it wasn’t needed.

I am still noticing some travel when I hit bumps/pothole so I will put it back on to test it out and see the difference it makes.

With the whole rhetoric around steering stabilizers being band aids, I just wanted to be sure I was correctly assuming that it’s not necessary to have one.