0-40 oil

dodj

So.......I bought 4 jugs of 5-40 oil for the diesel truck. When I go to use it...3 jugs are 5-40 and one is 0-40. Three jugs get an oil change done on the truck. So the truck is done but I'm looking for where I can use the remaining jug. I have no idea on why we use whatever oil in an engine. Can I run 0-40 synthetic in the 4.0litre?

It's what I use in my YJ and TJ. Spins right over in what passes for cold here in GA, and is plenty thick in the hot summers.

Reactions: dodj
So.......I bought 4 jugs of 5-40 oil for the diesel truck. When I go to use it...3 jugs are 5-40 and one is 0-40. Three jugs get an oil change done on the truck. So the truck is done but I'm looking for where I can use the remaining jug. I have no idea on why we use whatever oil in an engine. Can I run 0-40 synthetic in the 4.0litre?

Is the oil you bought spec’d for a diesel engine?

Diesel oil doesn't have the same detergents as gasoline oil. And if you are thinking because zddp, that's not the assumed fact it once was (that diesel oil has more). Just FYI.

It's rated SN, SM for gasoline engines as well:

1709999013346.png

I run the M1 0W-40 Euro version, but I don't think a 4.0 is going to care either way. It has SL, SM, SN ratings. The SL usually indicates higher ZDDP.

I wouldn't run it in the winter in Canada. Doubt it would cause any problems but I still wouldn't. Should be fine in the summer.

And if you are thinking because zddp, that's not the assumed fact it once was (that diesel oil has more). Just FYI.
Actually I'm just looking for something to use it in. I won't be buying more of it. My other daily takes 0-20... just looking for feedback if 0-40 would be fine in the 4.0L.
My limited knowledge of oil is 40 is thicker than 30 at temperature and I didn't want to do any damage.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Yeah, it'll be fine. I thought you were using diesel oil to get more zddp which was a thing 10-15 years ago that persists in Internet "knowledge" but it's not longer true (modern diesel oils are becoming restricted just like gasoline oils did).