02 Wrangler Fuel Tank Upgrade?

Sweenster

Hey doing some research on upgrading my fuel tank. Seems like I’m only getting about 12gal out of my tank and was looking online at getting a 19 gal. Does anyone know all the parts I need to purchase in order to go through with this?

I'm confused. Very, very few Wranglers had the smaller 15 gallon tanks. To my knowledge it was only very stripped down base model SEs that got them. All of the other TJs had 19 gallon tanks, and there's a very good chance yours has the 19 gallon tank as well.

There was never a 12 gallon tank, so that's not possible at all. Either you haven't filled it up from completely empty, or you could have a 15 gallon tank (which is again, very unlikely).

If you do have the smaller capacity tank, read this thread:
Fuel tank filler mod to convert 15 gallon tank to 19 gallon

I’ve dropped my tank and cleaned it out completely and then filled it up from empty all got into it was 2x 5 gal gas tanks and then a 2.5 gal gas tank and there was left over in the 2.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm, well then you're doing something wrong. All TJ fuel tanks are 19 gallons, some of them were just modified (though not via the tank itself) to only accept 15 gallons.

So you definitely can hold way more than 12 gallons of fuel. I'd be interested to see photos of your tank just out of curiousity.

All I am saying is that there is no such thing as a 12 gallon TJ fuel tank... it never existed, period.

Reactions: Sweenster
Sounds odd, as Chris stated the OEM tanks starting in 1999 where all 19 gallon and even then the tanks listed as 15 gallon were the same size as the 19 with a modified vent fitting limiting the tank to 15.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I’ve dropped my tank and cleaned it out completely and then filled it up from empty all got into it was 2x 5 gal gas tanks and then a 2.5 gal gas tank and there was left over in the 2.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is very strange. I cant recall the exact year 98 or 99. The completey stopped using the 15 gallon tank. Isn't there a ball valve that can go bad in the newer 2000+ tanks @Chris

I was thinking about this valve
Even though the guy calls it a Cherokee

Yep, that can be an issue. It gets swollen, stuck, and then you aren't able to fill the fuel tank to it's max capacity.

You can thank ethanol for this.

Hey doing some research on upgrading my fuel tank. Seems like I’m only getting about 12 gal out of my tank and was looking online at getting a 19 gal. Does anyone know all the parts I need to purchase in order to go through with this?
Only completely stripped very basic TJs ever came with the smallest 15 gallon tank, by far most TJs came with the 19 gallon tank. Know this... the TJ's gas gauge is notoriously inaccurate and overly conservative, it generally always indicates substantially less gas than is actually in the tank. Even my Low Fuel light comes on when I still have approximately 4 gallons left in my tank. I never fill up until it's down at the very bottom line and even then my tank still has several gallons left.

Don't mean to hijack, but on the subject of TJ fuel tanks, can someone tell me if the stock/OEM tank is metal/steel or plastic? I noticed my tank is plastic and was curious if it has been replaced. Thank you!

Don't mean to hijack, but on the subject of TJ fuel tanks, can someone tell me if the stock/OEM tank is metal/steel or plastic? I noticed my tank is plastic and was curious if it has been replaced. Thank you!
The stock tank is plastic.