04 LJK Repair, Redo, Recycle - The 3 R's of a First Build

I was planning to get a drill press for my birthday but saw these on FB market for $1000 with tj brackets and decided they would make a nice addition. I like how they have a low side bolster for getting In and out. Going to combine these with the seat risers I have waiting to be installed.

View attachment 256879
You may not need the risers. My mastercrafts with risers are too high.

You may not need the risers. My mastercrafts with risers are too high.
Ah interesting, that's possible but they look like they sit very low, it will be a test and see situation. What did you do for mounting the OEM seat belt receptical which mounts to the OEM seat?

Ah interesting, that's possible but they look like they sit very low, it will be a test and see situation. What did you do for mounting the OEM seat belt receptical which mounts to the OEM seat?
I got the mastercraft seat adaptors which had a provision for the seat belt attachment.

Those look like they have about 1 butt hour on them. Sweet score! The PRP lead times right now are crazy so that makes it even better
The guy said they only had a year of butt time on a non daily. He had some super sweet German seats in his AEV brute TJ he rolled up in. Must be a bit of a seat connoisseur

I can get you pictures of what it looks like if you want?

Reactions: B00mb00m
I can get you pictures of what it looks like if you want?
Ya, please. I'm mostly seeing people use a piece of thin flat bar, i don't really love that method.

Ya, please. I'm mostly seeing people use a piece of thin flat bar, i don't really love that method.
Didn't realize that is how the factory does it too, just a piece of bent flat bar, prolly 1/8".

1622834636439.png

Yep App answered your question. It's why I want to get a cage that has the bars for seat mounting and then my 5 point harness mounted to the tub. Of at least that is my understanding of how it's suppose to be done. I'm sure someone will correct me if that is wrong.

But I can still get you pictures. Of look at the install PDF from Mastercraft.

Reactions: B00mb00m
It isn't even 1/8" thick and it isn't typical flat bar. It is a high tensile alloy of some sort bordering right on the verge of being spring steel. Guess is that it is likely around .075 or so.
Well that's interesting. What do you do @mrblaine for the seat belt anchor on aftermarket seats? I'm guessing spring steel likely has to do with giving some "spring" during a crash and might even have to do with how the seatbelt locks out?

Reactions: Wildman
Well that's interesting. What do you do @mrblaine for the seat belt anchor on aftermarket seats? I'm guessing spring steel likely has to do with giving some "spring" during a crash and might even have to do with how the seatbelt locks out?
I have the early bases so I just modified the hole since it is extruded and threaded to be flat and through bolted the original buckle like the picture you put up. I'm not entirely familiar with your buckle on that side. I know it is different.

I am trying to remember where I have read how to do this and am coming up blank right now. The seat belt is mounted to the cage on one end and then the seat mounting frame on the other in stock form. But when going to a harness that changes. But as I said before I'm not sure if you're suppose to go to the cage if the seats are cage mounted or to the floor.

I am trying to remember where I have read how to do this and am coming up blank right now. The seat belt is mounted to the cage on one end and then the seat mounting frame on the other in stock form. But when going to a harness that changes. But as I said before I'm not sure if you're suppose to go to the cage if the seats are cage mounted or to the floor.
This is a good reference for proper harness installation
https://www.tillett.co.uk/shop/documents/downloads/seat-belt-fitting-information-2012.pdf

Reactions: Wildman
So today was rad @ reiter ORV park. Had half the day with no appreciable rain then the monsoon started. I was out testing the new Baja Bosses, the new storage unit in the back, and cutting brake + atlas combo.

I tried cutting brakes here I tried cutting brakes there I tried cutting brakes everywhere!! It's definitely a learning curve, sometimes it worked great sometimes not. I'm happy I didn't do a line lock, having the feel on the levers is rad. I even found a time where the rear locker was causing me to kick off an obstacle so I went unlocked rear then feathered the cutting brake to keep traction. It worked great and kept me from kicking out the rear.

Pretty happy with the Baja Bosses. It was a true slimy wet muddy rocks day in western washington today. The tires did quite well. Are they stickies? No but they are light years better than my milestar Patagonia.

Been enjoying the 3.8 atlas crawl ratio a lot more also. I'm getting better at keeping steady throttle and trying to keep forward progression once it starts not start/stop/start/stop.

PXL_20210605_181911349_exported_193437.jpg

PXL_20210605_203128080_exported_38120.jpg

PXL_20210605_192736860.jpg